Treatment Update

Murphette214

I have been so ill following this last round of chemo and from 4 of the 10 radiation treatments. The side effects from both were more intense and lasted onger this time. In my case, the fatigue was horrendous. I'll sleep for a few hours and then still feel exhausted and barely able to keep my eyes open. Then I'm also having lots of nausea and intestinal distress both of which have been hard to get under control. And, of course, when you're sick the last thing you feel like doing is eating. As chemo and radiation changes how things taste that can have a negative impact on food intake as well. I had my PET scan Monday and met with the Oncologist Tuesday to go over the results. Unfortunately, the cancer is not responding to the chemo at all. This surprises her because usually my type of cancer responds to the particular "chemo cocktail" she has me on. In fact, she said that although they originally diagnosed the adenocarcinoma as coming from the lung, she is now it might have originated somewhere else in my body that they haven't found yet. I wonder how common is it for that to happen? Anyone else been diagnosed with one type of cancer and then had it switched to a different type? So everything has grown and continues to spread. There are new areas as well. This has also contributed to why I've been so sick the last 7-10 days. She's going to try new chemo drugs when I go for my infusion on 7/13. She's also still researching alternative therapies but so far my cancer just will not respond to them. So, still taking it one day at a time and hoping we will find the right medicines to arrest the progression of the disease.

Wow, Murphette, that's got to be discouraging.    

I'm sure your doc is doing all she can. Is she affiliated with a cancer center?  I think I'd be wanting multiple experts to have a look and weigh in.

Hang in there--sending a hug.

Have you talked to your oncologist about getting M D Anderson, Houston, involved? They have excellent resources. I did my preliminary testing locally, surgery at M D Anderson, chemo and radiation is being done locally. M D Anderson continues to monitor me.  Sending prayers and soft hugs.

Murphette - I'm sorry you aren't seeing better results.  There are days when I just want to jump up and down and scream about how much I hate this disease.  Today is one of those days.  I'm not sure where in Texas you are, but if MD Anderson is an option for another opinion, it might be worth it to get the ball rolling on that.  It is my understanding that can take some time.  

We're here for you - whatever you need.

Murphettee,

I’ll be a bit more frank about your treatment thus far: results suck!

If I were in your shoes, given the “phantom” type problem, I’d go down two parallel paths. Stick with your current oncologist and try and find a more sophisticated treatment center and oncologist. It sounds like you have a complicated case.

MD Anderson is a good choice. Baylor’s Salmon Cancer Center is another. 

Let us know how things progress and hopefully they will!

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks all! While I am disappointed chemo has not been as helpful in stopping the progression. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. :) I am lucky to be in Houston where we have some really great cancer programs. I go to the Kelsey seybold cancer center which is part of the Baylor St. Luke's College of Medicine and the MD Anderson radiation cancer center. So, I feel like I have a good team working together to come up with the best plan for me. The good news is that the radiation treatments on the back are helping to keep the pain in my spine at a bearable level. The trade off seems to be sometimes it makes me throw up even though I take the anti nausea meds pretty religiously. Considering how much pain I was in it seems a small price to pay. I can't remember which new drugs the oncologist is going to use during my next infusion. As soon as I get those names I'll post an update and see if anyone has had any experience with them. Fingers crossed that things go better in the future.

Archived