Simulation?

Callie

My mom had a simulation today after radiation. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it is supposed to do? I've been searching but haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance,

Callie

Hi, Callie,

I'm not sure why they would be doing it AFTER radiation.  Here's what I found: https://www.oncolink.org/cancer-treatment/radiation/introduction-to-radiation-therapy/pictorial-overview-of-the-radiation-therapy-treatment-process

I don't know a lot about radiation, so not sure why it might be done after.

Callie

Have had a lot of radiation. Before my SBRT radiation I was placed in the position I would be in for my treatment, a sort of stretchy belt was placed around my diaphragm and the physicist stood there being very picky about exactly what position I was being placed in and my not being able to move. This was to track exactly how much the tumors in my lungs or the one on my adrenal gland (had it for both) moved as I breathed in order to accurately plan my Radiation. Never heard it called a simulation but that term would make sense. Is this similar to what they did with your mother and could they possibly be planning to do some SBRT? It's also sometimes called Cyberknife and other things. It's a very precisely targeted radiation. 

Judy M

Callie,

Judy is right.  She experienced a simulation.  Here is an article about it.  I recall the simulation protocol for both my conventional and precision radiation treatments. 

Stay the course.

Tom

That could be it Judy but this is the second one since she started radiation. She has 5 more radiation treatments out of 30 and 2 more rounds of chemo out of 7. To finish her 1st line treatment. So maybe this is to make sure the radiation is hitting the right spot or to see if the tumor is smaller? There is nothing in her file about SBRT or cyberknife but this is the dosage in her mychart. 

Dosage Received/Planned:

=======================================================================================

Site |Modality |Start |Last |D/FX |FX |Dose

=======================================================================================

Left lung/mediast. |x06 |6/13/2018 |7/2/2018 |220 cGy |14/30|3080/6600 cGy

Thanks 

Callie

I don't know then. Thirty sounds like standard radiation and I only had one set up sort of thing for that. You might just ask them. I ask a lot of questions of all my doctors. The physicists were actually thrilled that I was interested in what they do or even noticed. You'd probably have to go with her and ask her Radiation Oncologist when she visits him as at least my Radiologists don't allow anyone past the waiting room when I have treatments. I find Radiation and what goes into it really interesting. Please let us know when you find out. I'm puzzled about it too. 

Judy M

, Lexie's article pretty much defines what it is and why it's done. The only reason I can think of why they would do it again was if they were afraid she might no longer be in exactly the right position. If that's the reason then it's a good thing. You want them to be vigilant. Radiation must be very precisely done. 

Judy M. 

Archived