Newly diagnosed partner adenocarcinoma IIIB

tom

Hi everyone,

My name is Tom. My partner and I have been together for 22 years and this past Thursday (4/24) he was diagnosed with adenocarcinoman staged IIIB. He's 60 years old and has a large mass in his right lung with malignant plueral, which colapsed his lung last week. He had it drained and was feeling better. He has to have an operation in 2 weeks to seal the lung so it wont happen again. This all started with a persistent cough about 2 months ago. He starts Chemo Therapy (not sure which drugs) next Tuesday at the Georgetown University Cancer Center in Washington D.C. He was entered into a clinical trial that is currently in progress - Tegratin (sp?) a vitamin A analog.

I'm so glad this message board is here. I was reading through the messages and they provided me with hope. I'm very scared and can't imagine a life without him. We've gone through so much in life together and now this. I'm trying to deal with my feelings of deep sadness and at the same time learn all I can about this disease so I can provide strong support. This past week has been very very hard. I know I have to be emotionally strong and take charge of this stuation. When I tell family about it I cry and it's been hard to get a good night sleep. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Dear Tom,

Welcome to our wonderful group, but sorry you have to be here.

We are all in the same boat and we all help each other with knowledge, comfort, laughs whatever is needed for each of us to get by.

Come here as often as you need. We will be here for you and hope you will be here for us.

Welcome Tom,

So sorry you must join our group for the same reason we all are here - this dreaded disease. However, I am glad you have found us. It's a roller coaster ride with your emotions indeed. But the good news is that there are many survivors right here with an enormous amount of knowledge, experience, and HOPE.

Blessings to the both of you,

Peg

Dear Tom,

I'm sorry you have cause to be here and really relate to your feelings of sadness and anxiety. I hope that somehow we can impart more hopefulness and strength to you to deal with this messy disease...I know it helps me to come here. Take care of yourself too. You and yours will be added to my prayers. Welcome.

Tom, Don't give up. Even w/o surgery this demon can be defeated! Remember that! There is no lung cancer that is 100% fatal. Appreciate each other and please do not waste days worrying. I know how awful this battle can be. It's hard to be optimistic, but give it your all.

Best wishes. JudyB

Hi Tom and Welcome,

So Sorry to hear that your loved one has Lung Cancer. Getting through the inital DX it so difficult. The pain, fear and helplessness that you feel is so overwhelming. We have all been there as caregivers and family members. My Moms lung was collapsed when she was initally diagnosed, and it scared me to death. But here we are months later, in remission and doing well. I hope that you will find some relief through getting some of your questions answered and knowing that people do survive Lung Cancer! I will keep you and your partner in my prayers. Hang in there and God bless you.

Laurie

Hi Tom,

This is the place you NEVER want to have to come to, but when you do, it is a great place to be. I have found more information here, good advice and support than I have found anywhere else. My family and friends are supportive and caring, but here I know that everyone knows how afraid I really am. Feel free to vent - we all do! You and your partner are in our prayers.

Tom,

So sorry to hear about your partner. All of us here on this board can relate to what you are feeling. I think that is what makes us all so close, we are bonded by experience. We've all been riding the same roller coaster of emotion that we'd all wish to get off.

Being a lung cancer survivor or a caregiver is not easy. Both of you will need lots of support, love and prayers; and that is what we offer here.

Welcome!

Guest marta1

Hi Tom,

Again..so sorry that you had to be welcomed here..but youre in the right place...

The first couple of weeks are super difficult and its hard to keep all of the negative thoughts out of your head..but try to stay in the moment and take things one day at a time...

Remember that only god knows when we will be leaving...

When my mom was diagnosed with lc...all i could think about was losing her...and i couldn't sleep or eat...But then I started to realize that I should save my energy for fighting this disease!!!

Also, I am falling asleep easier these past few days...I've made sure that I have time before I go to bed that is "cancer free" I put all my energy into positive thinking, deep breathing, and thoughts of happy times!!

Good luck to you

Laura

Dear Tom,

Cancer really is a family disease. If you find yourself getting more depressed and not being able to sleep, please ask your doctor for an anti-depressant. That will help you get back on track.

The beginning stages, right after diagnosis, were the worst time for me. It wasn't until I started treatments that I felt like I was sort of getting on top of my lung cancer. Then later I had a complete response to one of my chemo medications and I started to feel stronger emotionally.

Give this some time, you and your partner will start to piece together a life with cancer. There will be ups and downs, but believe it or not there will be happy times ahead in addition to the challenging times. Although I wish I had never gotten this disease, it has taught me some very valuable and beautiful lessons.

I am thinking of you Tom.

Take care,

Ada