Im so scared...

Guest cherryJ45

Guest cherryJ45

Two days ago, I was diagnosed with a tumor in my lung. Don't know any more just yet...will have ct scan tomorrow to see if it's elsewhere, then biopsy a couple days later and then the visit to oncolgist for determination of treatment. My whole world just crumbled before me...I'm 45 with a teenager still at home...a son getting married and a wonderful new man in my life...so much to look forward too.. I am such a positive person and I really feel like I can beat this thing, but then I went to a website that scares me silly. The outcome never looks good with this it says...help me, please tell me it can be done.....I am so scared I cannot stop shaking...I want to live....Let me hear the good stories, what to expect. I don't know medical terms yet..it's approximately 2 cm and has come up fast the dr. said. Supposedly it was not showing in an xray in September. I began searching for help when I began having tremondous pains in arm, chest and back. Now I learn it's the tumour pressing on the nerves. Please tell me all......thank you!! God bless you all.....

Cherry -

From what little you know so far - you sound a lot like me!!!

Mine started with the pain in the arm, chest and back too. Mine is limited stage small cell. (Limited meaning it hadn't spread to any other organs at the time of diagnosis.)

And I just turned 42 in March and have two beautiful daughters, 13 and 19 years old, and a great guy I've been dating for 1 1/2 years.

I've completed 6 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation - and I'm feeling great now. (Doctors are "watching" a mass in my adrenal gland, but no decisions made on that yet.)

I'm back at work full time - love my daughters more than ever and love my Honey more than ever (more patient with all of them, because this really shakes up what you think is important!)

I've been doing more in a weekend lately than I used to do all week before I got sick! Working in the yard, shopping, bike riding, roaming around - so don't think you'll never have any fun again.

The hard part is getting past the feeling that you HAVE no future! Phooey!! Many people are cured these days (stay AWAY from the statistics on the websites!) And even those who are not "cured", can still live many years with off and on treatment.

So make sure to let us know what further news you get from the doctor, and feel free to email me anytime if you need more support,

Sincerely,

SandyS

Guest marta1

Cherry,

I'm so sorry that you had to find this group....but please be reassured in the fact that this is an AMAZING support system...there are real answers here..and people who are living their lives with lc

I can't stress enough the importance of learning all you can about your disease but looking towards the positive and away from all those scary numbers! NO ONES disease is 100 percent fatal..and you are young and strong!!

Please come here often to talk to people here...they are a wonderful resource...

Laura

Take a deep breath.

I WAS 45, with a teen age son, when my nodule was found. And that was two years ago this past week. You are just in that very scary part.

The lung cancer was my third cancer, so I went into all the testing with anti-depressents, anti-anxiety pills, and an ativan chaser. :lol::lol:

I also took PEOPLE magazine to every doctor appointment. Really!

Take someone else with you to the appointments. When I met with the surgeon, I had two people in the room.

Stop reading statistics. Only God knows when you will leave this earth.

We are here.

gail

Hi Cherry and Welcome,

I am so sorry that you have come here under the circumstances but there sure are wonderful supportive survivors here who can tell you that you will be okay and although it is terrifying, you will be treated and it is not the end of the world! A 2cm tumor really is not that big and that is a blessing. Cancer is not good no matter how big your tumors are but the earlier it is caught the better! When My Moms tumors were found it was a big already over 8cms in the lung which collapsed it, and there was also a mass on her neck that was pressing on her nerves and she was in severe pain, this was in Oct of 2002, and now she is in remmission! So I hope this offers you some encouragement, there are many here with much larger tumors who are doing well. I will pray for the best possible results for your scans and please feel free to ask questions. Keep the faith and keep us posted.

Blessings to you.

Laurie

As Laurie said ...

You hopefully may be one of the lucky ones. Most people don't have any pain and it is found at a late stage. 2 cm is puts you at T1. Look up info on staging or search for TNM.

So praying you are at Stage I, but there are many on here that have lived a long time that were at later stages. There are a number of people 5+, 8+ and I believe 20+ years

Take care

Two days ago, I was diagnosed with a tumor in my lung. Don't know any more just yet...will have ct scan tomorrow to see if it's elsewhere, then biopsy a couple days later and then the visit to oncolgist for determination of treatment. My whole world just crumbled before me...I'm 45 with a teenager still at home...a son getting married and a wonderful new man in my life...so much to look forward too.. I am such a positive person and I really feel like I can beat this thing, but then I went to a website that scares me silly. The outcome never looks good with this it says...help me, please tell me it can be done.....I am so scared I cannot stop shaking...I want to live....Let me hear the good stories, what to expect. I don't know medical terms yet..it's approximately 2 cm and has come up fast the dr. said. Supposedly it was not showing in an xray in September. I began searching for help when I began having tremondous pains in arm, chest and back. Now I learn it's the tumour pressing on the nerves. Please tell me all......thank you!! God bless you all.....

I found out I had lung cancer because of pain. They told me it was because the tumor was pressing on nerves that pass through the apex ( very top) of the lung. It was larger than 2 cm. So far I am doing OK. Of course I went through about 6 months of treatment to get this far. I finished treatment 5 yrs ago. We all know it is a terrible shock to be told you have lung cancer. I know I really cried . I was really afraid. Please let us help in any way we can . We have been there. More of my story is archived general, 3/27/03

I mentioned that the doc. had said my tumor was 2 cm....my friend that was with me said no...it is 5 cm. Grrrrrrrr what was I thinking...or was I? I see now it is best to take someone with me. Anyway, catscan today was not bad and in fact I put him on the spot and asked if he saw smethin more...he siad it looked clean around it...now just the other spots. I want to thank each and everyone of you for responding...I can tell this is going to get me thru it...Thank you and God bless all of you! Cherie

Guest DaveG

Cherrie:

I am so glad that you have found us. I was a Stage I survivor for 18 months. I had 2 surgeries in that time, and each had excellent outcomes. Buit, for far too many of us, for me the other shoe dropped. I have been restaged to Stage IV, because of systemic lung cancer mets to my my lymphatic system.

All this may sound scary to you and many others, but to me it is just another great big bump in the road that my journey with lung cancer is taking me. Through the encouragement and love and caring of all the people here at Lung Cancer Survivors for Change, I am going to beat back this latest set back.

You, as well, are going to beat back what you have. Surviving is what we are all about here, and that's what we do best. We care for, we love, and we support each other here. We may cry together, but we also laugh together.

The BIG comforting feeling you have right now - that's a group hug.

:D:D:D:D:D

Amazing what's good news is to me these days. My doctor called, remember I had been pipe dreaming when I said the tumor was 2cm and it was actually 5 cm? Well, now she says it's only 4cm. Yay! Then she said it doesn't appear to have spread anywhere, no lymph nodes or anything. Yay again...however there is a suspicious 1cm. nodule on my adrenal gland? So, all in all I thought it was encouraging... Labwork this morning and then finally those biopsies I was promised, no later than first of next week. I feel like it's dragging... Thanks all of you for all your help...I look in here every day, it comforts me so and everyone is so kind. I kep you all in my prayers.

Cherie,

I am sorry you have to be here. :cry: Welcome to the board, everyone is here to support and help. I can only imagine how scary those early days must be, I remember how scared we were when my mom was first being diagnosed. Please keep us updated when you find out more.

Praying for you.

Guest CherryJ45

I just have to tell you all often, how grateful I am to have found this site. I look forward at the end of the day to read all the encouraging messages. You are such a wonderful bunch of people and I thank you for welcoming me. Wish me luck...my biopsy is Monday. Finally, I will know more about this ugly monster growing inside me and what to do to send it packing!! I am nervous and I know this is the easy part of all that will happen. The nurse said it should go well, occasionally air gets into the lung, then they have to put a tube into the lung to release it and then I have to stay over night. Has this happened to anyone? I had never heard of such a thing. I know I'm worrying needlessly, but it seems I quake at everything these days. I will let you know how it goes...bless you all so much. :lol:

Sounds like she was informing you that sometimes they have to put in a chest tube after a biopsy because air gets in the space around the lung and that doesnt let the lung fully expand, so they put the tube to get it out.

Cherry, welcome to the board. I agree with all of the responses above. And as far as that "monster" growing inside you-There is much that can be done to stop it. You mentioned you still have a teenage daughter, a son getting married, and a wonderful man in your life...well, sounds like you're pretty busy, and I agree SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO. The road may be bumpy, but its well worth traveling-especially with all that you have that is good in your life. What I have learned through my experience with my father is this: 1. Ignore the statistics, they're outdated and non-specific regarding a persons age and overall health before the disease, not to mention all the new technology that is used in treatment 2. Take one bump at a time. Whether its chemo, and possible side effects, or mets, whatever. Just approach each bump with focus and determination, and try not to worry about the others that may or MAY NOT be coming up later. 3. RESEARCH, and trust your gut. The doctors work for YOU-and if knowing that gives you a bit of a power trip-GOOD!!! :twisted: and come here whenever you need to. There is no such thing as a stupid question or feeling, and no such thing as "rambeling". You are not alone. Consider us your cyber-wall. Use us as shelter, as a sounding board, and remember that you are a part of that wall, and its a great thing to be. Take care, Deb (a fellow 'brick' :wink:

Hi Cherie.

Being frightened of the unknown is normal; just don't let your mind race too far ahead. As you get more and more information from your doctor, your fears will be replaced by actions. You will need to prepare yourself for treatment - chemo, radiation, surgery, or all three. You've been reading the messages so you have seen there are quite a few success stories out there with regards to shrinking tumors, surgeries, and even remission.

I had a 3 cm tumor and my left lung removed 26 years ago, and have since lead a very active life. My story was posted Feb. 28th, half way down the "Inspiration" forum, titled, "David Piercy's story of survival". This week I'm preparing for my 3rd cross country mountain bike race of the season.

Try to stay away from the doom and gloom thoughts and keep your attitude positive Cherie, because you will need to be extra strong for the next little while - positive energy will certainly help. Take care,

David P.

Cherry, So glad you have found this site.I too have found the people here a great support source as well as them having an abundance of experience and knowledge.The emotions you are feeling are quite normal.When first told of my condition i thought it was the end.How wrong i was ! My tumor was 5 X 7 cinemeters and thankfully limited to my lung.The first though that went thru my mind was my children.I have 2 children 12 and 14 years old.I am 34 and thought i was too young to get sclc. This disease does not discriminate based on age sex etc..... The main thing that i have realized is with the meds and a positive outlook i can beat this thing on a daily basis.I live my life for today and am trying to be as happy and as productive as ever.That isnt always possible but thats ok.I hope you will post again and let us know how you are doing.I found there is a process that i have went thru after being diagnosed much like a grieving process.I dont know where im at this very moment with it but i do know i am happy to be feeling better and i am planning on enjoying today more than i did yesterday. God Bless you and looking forward to hearing from you soon...

I had a needle biopsy (thru my back to get to the tumor). It was a piece of cake. BUT, I did have a little pneumothorax (10%). That's when there is a partial collapse of the lung. I had to stay an extra 4 hrs in the hospital while they continued to do chest xrays. They let me go with warnings of what to do if. . . Of course, I was fine. And you will be, too.

Remember: The power of positive thinking can change your world! JudyB

Guest P.F.

Hello, Cherry,

I wanted to let you know that I was 44 years old with 1 son who had just graduated from High School, and a daughter who had just finished her Junior year of High School when I was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. I was erroneously put at Stage I when I was actually Stage IV. That was 3 years, 11 months, and 8 days ago. I've had a few surgeries, and was on Iressa until my tumors began to grow and spread, but the important thing is that it has been almost 4 years and I AM STILL HERE!!!! I've seen my son graduate college! I've seen my daughter graduate High School and go on to College. I've seen the white iris I planted in 1998 (called "Old Flame") bloom this year. I look at having lung cancer as a chronic illness. I'll be starting another treatment soon, and hopefully it will buy me more time... until the next recurrence and the next treatment...which will hopefully by me even MORE time. So have hope.

Best Wishes, Fay A.

Guest randyg

Thank you for having this site available, I am a Respiratory Therapist , there has been many times when some with lung cancer has asked me for information on support groups. Know I know where to refer them. God Bless

Randy :lol:

Hi Randy.

I'm glad you found this site to refer any of your interested patients to. Would there be any chance you could register on the message board so anyone here could ask you the odd respiratory type question? I know it would really be appreciated. Thanks

David Piercy

Well, I finally met with the oncologist on Tuesday..I wanted to post here what the visit produced, but I was so overwhelmed... it was worse than I had expected and I was repeating it to so many people. On top of that, when you read about stage IV, it's ALWAYS so Negative. Well OF COURSE it is, and maybe I'm not being realistic but I don't want the negatives...I know it's serious, I know it's a tough stage..I want to focus on positive...the treatment, the good news, my family, friends, the fact that I do not intend to succumb to it...Okay, sorry, :oops: I'm off my soapbbox now and so many of you have just made it soooooo much easier for me and have been so encouraging and I truly thank you for that...Okay,here goes:

Stage IV upper lobe / chest wall a little

adrenal gland, too

I have to have a biopsy of adrenal gland and an MRI of the brain..to check that out....unfortunately, the scheduling of the biopsy, which will not be till one day next week, is going to hold my treatment up, I was supposed to start on the 22nd of May, but Doc wants all these results back, so grrrrrrrr :evil: ....waiting again. Anyway, when treatment does begin~ it will be as follows:

carboplatin Iv every 3 weeks x 3 = 9 weeks

taxol Iv weekly x 9-12 weeks

Then repeat scans....

chemo...cisplatin weekly

radiation 5 days per week 5 - 6 weeks

Then repeat scans....

Then if shrinkage enough...lung and adrenal gland surgery

There!!! Now, if you had the patience to read as I ranted and read all of this... please let me know you're thoughts...Thanks again, all of you that have been so helpful and positive, I really enjoy being part of this board. And to Fay, I want to thank you for that message you sent me recently...I didn't see a way to respond to you and wanted too. Your message was very inspiring. I would love to talk more to you, if you would...Thanks everyone, sincerely...I will keep you posted and always keep you all in my prayers. :D

Hi Cherry,

You are so right to focus on the positive. It sounds encouraging that surgery is a possibility down the road. What you are going through now, to me was the worst. I was so anxious over the brain MRI. I asked the technician to please tell me if he saw anything, but he wouldn't. Then when we were finished he was real nice to me, so I was convinced that it was bad news. The doctor that found the mass on my xray was really nice to me too so I was sure it was a bad sign. You can really drive yourself crazy. Waiting for those results was the hardest, but it was good news and I hope it will be for you too. Once I actually started treatment I felt so much better that something was finally being done. In the beginning I felt like researching and learning about my condition was a full time job and it really takes an emotional toll. Finding this group and all the wonderful people here has helped me so much. Things do start to calm down and get into a routine, then just take it a day at a time. You have a good attitude and that is so important. Keep coming here for comfort and support and keep us posted with your progress. We're all in this together.

Jenny