My (karma's) dad is online visiting out board

Guest karmas dad

not going to do chemo,have Dr app. today will seek other options if possible....chemo has put me back in hospital 3 time after each treatment , had dehydration and extremely low blood pressure..... just got out of hospital again 5/2/03 same thing and really out of the picture on this one...... very scary......... left scapular is really paining me and the pain and lack of energy is the worst.......will question about radiatin again whicih they had been doing for my rib and my left leg thanks for any input you can give :( hope things go well today :D

Guest karmas dad
:lol: make that 301 now prayers are being sent back to all of you too,,,,,,it sure is nice having to converse with other people going through the same situaiton.......... that helps alot...... thank you to you all

Hi Karma's dad -

Everyone here is wishing you the best today. maybe when you see the doctor they will come up with a gameplan that will work well for you. i remember feeling very tired during chemo, too. Possibly a different drug will be better for your. My thoughts and prayers go with you today :)

Dear Karma's Dad,

Welcome. I hope that they find a treatment for you. Many good things are happening in medicine right now - there will be one for you.

You are in my prayers as are all of the wonderful people in our group.

Guest angel

karma's dad, i have been exactly where you are. i was doing chemo for about 3 months and i thought it was worse than cancer itself. i talked to doctors about other options and there were a few out there but they said chemo was the best bet. the goal is to really concentrate on staying hydrated. it's not easy. after a month of no chemo i decided (and was convinced by alot of family and friends that i was hurting myself more by giving up the chemo) and so i decided to stick with it for another tough 6 months, off 3 months, on 4 months again. i am in remission today and very thankful for it. :D don't feel like anything you are going through isn't normal..however overwhelmingly abnormal it feels. :cry: you need to keep your chin up and believe you can beat this! :wink: cause you are strong and you can. make sure you ask the doctors all the questions you can, what your best options are, even if not covered by insurance and be willing to try anything...it is your life you are fighting for!! i know it isn't easy but we will be here supporting you along with you family and friends!! GOOD LUCK!!! we know you can do it! :P:P:P:P:!:

Hi Karma's Wonderful Dad!!

First I want to tell you that you have a WONDERFUL daughter! (got a feeling you already knew that)! :wink: She loves you very much and has been very active in your care. WAY TO GO KARMA!!! Enough of that!

I know you have been having some great difficult with your chemo's, but you do know they have other chemo's that may NOT be as harsh on you?!

Before you shut the page on this chapter, I sure hope you will try and to go into your Onc Doc with an open mind!! I know how hard all this is, and like I shared with another one of our members, (No Pain, No Gain)! If life were that easy!! :roll: And yes it's a hassle being in and out of the hospital, but I have heard of SOOOOO Many other people that have had MAJOR problems with there treatments along the way only to live years down the road from them.

I deyhidrated after my last chemo, and WOW, that sucked!! I was in the hospital for 5 days because of that. But, soon to be 8 YEARS later, HERE I AM!!! I was 43 years young when all this crud hit, and now I am looking at 51 come August. Can't beat that!!!

Let me ask you this, what other types of treatments would you be willing to try? I also had radiation and I have to say, I was lucky and had no problems with that. But again, I know some people that have had some problems with it and later down the road are still here today!! I facilitate a Lung Cancer Support Group, and I'm not against people calling it quits, as long as ALL the options have run out, but I do TRY encourage HOPE and FIGHT in this battle. I just had a phone call from one of my members this morning and he is in the hospital, NOT FOR CANCER, but for a broken spine due to other issues. (long Story) He said to me, Well, it's a GREAT DAY to BE ALIVE and the good news is, I'm NOT HERE BECAUSE OF MY CANCER and that's a GOOD THING"! The man is a tower of strength. I need to learn how to bottle this stuff and share it with the world!! :)

Well, Karma's Dad, You will find GREAT comfort here on this board along with many many great SUPPORTIVE IDEA'S!! We ALL will do our VERY BEST to walk with you on this walk and get you and your family through the tough times. It's not EASY, but it IS DOABLE!!!! TRY REALLY HARD to KEEP A POSSITIVE ATTITUDE. (and yes that will come and go too) but, we have to TRY!!!

Keep us posted and Please know we are here for you!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs, (I'm a Hugger)! :roll::wink:

Hi Karmas Dad-

Welcome!! Just wanted you to know that I have been praying for you and hoping the Dr's will come up with a plan that works with less problems for you! I KNOW there is a way!

I have been through radiation, chemo and surgery since I was diagosed last July - believe me, there have been some tough days, but am on the mend and thankful for all of those here and at home for their positive thoughts and PRAYERS! That makes all the difference in the world!!!

You have been a member of this board, whether you were here physically or not!!! We ALL care about what happens to you - sending you EVEN MORE positive thoughts and prayers! And, if I knew how, I'd send my OWN dancing banana!!

Terrie

Hi Karma's Dad! My husband is going through chemotherapy also. Sometimes he feels really tired and sleeps a lot, but after finishing 6 treatments, this week he feels very good, he has gained 5 pounds, is eating normally and planning to go turkey hunting this Saturday. His tumor has shrunk by 3/4s and on his worst chemo days he STILL feels better than before we started. He is going to have more chemo and though we were hoping that wouldn't be necessary we are going to go ahead with it. I encourage him to sleep when he feels the need to, we try to walk every day even if its to the end of the driveway and back. We sit outside on the nice days and we are planning our trip to Texas in December to see our son graduate from the Airforce Bootcamp!!!

Katie B is right - be positive! Great strides are made every single day in cancer treatment! My favorite quote that I got from these boards: There is NO cancer that is incurable 100 percent of the time. There are people out there who always feel the need to be gloomy - don't listen to them, stay away from them! Come here, read the positive posts (when I first started I only went to good news) and know that you can beat this thing!

Welcome!

Since February, I have had surgery and am currently undergoing radiation AND chemo at the same time. I'm not going to say it's been easy, but is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! :D

I have days where I don't want to get out of bed......but then I also have days that I jump out of bed and can't wait to spend the day with my son, or have a nice night out with my fiance.....and it makes those bad days seem insignificant.

Just remind yourself what all this craziness of treatment is for.....its for our LIFE. And what is life really for, if not to be enjoyed??

You can do this! Best of luck today at the doctors, and again -- Welcome, it's nice to finally meet you!!

Heather

Hello Karmas dad. I just wanted to say that my dad was diagnosed with NSCLC in Jan 2002. He had 3 different types of chemo and is now on Iressa. The cancer had metastisised to his brain in December and he had a procedure called Gamma knife in early January-which completely killed those 3 tumors. His philosophy is that he may not be cured, but he wants to get all of the time he could to be with his family...and who knows, in that time there just might be even MORE that can be done to get him more time. He isn't afraid of dying, he just has alot to live for. And you do too. I don't know what it is like to go through chemo, but with my mom going through chemo for ovarian cancer (literally, as I write this) and dad doing whatever needs to be done for his lung cancer, who knows WHAT the future holds for me. All I know is that it is important to be open to treatment, and there are alot of things my dad did to help with the side effects of the chemo. He took maitaike mushroom-a nutritional supplement that he gets from a nutritional store, he ate LOTS of flax seed (sprinkled it on his cereal, etc...if you like to eat fish, its even better to eat that-but dad dosn't like fish, so he ate the flax seed) These things were to help reduce the side effects of the chemo, and also to aid the chemo in doing its job. And I think it worked. He was fortunate enough that the side effects from the chemo were bearable.

What I'm trying to say, in a rather long winded way (sorry) is that there is so much that could be done to help you not only live longer, but have a good quality of life while you're getting treatment. Please consider this. The road is bumpy, but it is doable. I hope that you know that there are alot of "strangers" here that have been rooting and praying for you. Karma is so amazing. I really think that we'd be friends if we knew eachother, we have the same weird sense of humor :wink::lol: . Please keep us posted, and try to keep your chin up. My mom is taking anit depressants right now, because depression is very common in cancer patients, it is something to consider, and NOT be ashamed or embarrassed about. Come here and VENT VENT VENT. and share with us all of your questions and concerns...your fears and your HOPES!! You can do this thing. Please consider every option. What the hell, you've got so much to GAIN. THere is much wisdom here. ConnieB, JudyB, KatieB (boy, there sure are alot of B's-I never really realized that) anyway. You could become the voice of wisdom, too, for someone else that will (unfortunatly) inevetebly come along...and you can share YOUR story, and help them get through this thing. Take care, and come back!!! Deb

Guest angel

I heard wonderful things about IRESSA!! In fact there is a doctor at Mass General in Boston, Dr Lynch, who advocates the drug and is one of the best lung cancer dr's in the country i believe! :D

Hello, Karma's Dad! God to meet you! My wife has NSCLC and was taking chemo and radiation simultaneously in November. In December, she was hospitalized three times for dehydration and infections. So we can relate. Wish you the best. Love your daughter. Look forward to hearing from you from time to time. Good luck on your tests, etc. Don

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!! Keep the posts coming i think it is very helpful for my dad to see he is not alone in the old crapola that chemo can cause. Thank you Katie B! Connie B, Daggiesmom (love the dog by the way and so did my dad) angel, ginnyd, Donna G, Terrie, Candy, Hebbie, Debaroo (you know we would sooo hang out if i was out in long island! and you in boston!!) and don wood!!!!! I honestly appreciate you taking the time out to give my dad a shout out! He is taking off for his appointment at 12 and i hope now has a better idea of something he can talk to the doctor about and just a better feel of he is not alone and that reading post from actually people, live people who are going thru it or with the person going thru it is helpful and how positive thinking can really lift your spirits!!!!! Thank you all again!!!!!! :D

Dear Friend,

I've been following your story by reading Karma's posts. You have a wonderful, loving daughter in Karma.

I want to wish you the best in your fight against lung cancer. I can certainly relate to the frustrations of going through all of the treatments--it's not fun.

Early on in my treatments I vowed that I would do everything I could to get well again. Sometimes I feel like a pin cushion because I've been poked and prodded and stuck for almost two years. For the most part, I've been able to tolerate the chemo treatments. I just cut myself a lot of slack and try not to expect too much except to handle the side effects each day. Some days, when I feel down-hearted, I remind myself of my vow. I am in this for the long haul and I will do what the doctors tell me to do (I trust my doctors very much) while keeping up with the lastest information.

I hope you have a good appointment with your doctor today. I will be thinking of you.

Ada

Guest KARMAS DAD
:D JUST A NOTE OF THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR WISDOM , KIND WORDS. SUPPORT AND PRAYERS........ HOPEFULLY WE WILL COME UP WITH SOME OPTIONS AFTER WE TALK TO THE DOCTOR...... IT IS WONDERFUL TO VENT AND GET MORAL SUPPORT.....MY DAUGHTER IS MY BEST ADVOCATE.... GREAT RESEARCHER..... AND i KNOW LOVES ME VERY MUCH.... HEY SHE GOT ME TO TALK AND OPEN UP AND MEET ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE........ TAKE CARE ALL OF YOU... MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US....... AND KNOW WE WILL BE KEEPIN THE FAITH AND KNOW THERE IS HOPE........!!!!!! THANK YOU AND WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.........LOVE...kARMAS MOM AND DAD........

HELLO KARMA'S DAD!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

HELLO!!!!!!! :D:D So glad to meet you!!!!!! I'm from NEW HAMPSHIRE.. and MY MOM had SCLC!! She was in and out of the hospital for a month and a half with low blood pressure and dehydration... We eventually had to set her up on 8 hr IV therapy for a month!!!! BUT NOW SHE IS IN REMISSION!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: YIIIPPEEEEEE!!! It sure seems like chemo is the worst but it is working!!!!! Maybe they could give you a lower dose??? Please don't give up!! Just listen to the BERNIE SEGAL TAPES.. and know that you CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!

Many blessings to you!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Hi Karma's Dad,

Your daughter is such a wonderful addition here (love her little bouncy animations!).

I get SOOOOOOOO mad :evil: when hear of someone suffering from dehydration. Because it's so avoidable. Get your Dr. to order an IV for it! There is just no excuse! I got my infusion 2 days after chemo and I was fine. Thought I was going to die without it and almost wished I would have. I have to say dehydration has about THE WORST symptoms. Worse than the chemo, worse than the radiation, and YES worse than the surgery. So, don't give up because of dehydration. They can fix that problem immediately!

Remember: The power of positive thinking can change your world! JudyB

Karma's Dad,

I hope your appt goes well today and they come up with lots of options for you. It sounds like there are lots of people who are giving you good advice here. All I can tell you is that my mom is doing great on her chemo. She takes Carboplatin and VP-16. She gets tired after the treatments but it goes away after a few days. She's handled it great. So you never know if you try something else, it might not be as harsh.

Please don't ever give up!!!!!! Nice to meet you.