new to site, dad extensive small cell

kelleyu

I would just like to talk to anyone out there who is going through anything similar. My dad(51) just diagnosed with extensive sclc with mets to liver and hip. Just started chemo on monday. I am scared, shocked, hurt, confused and need to talk. Please reply.

Kelleyu,

I'm sorry about your Dad's diagnosis and all the fears and feelings it brings with it to the whole family. This is a great place to come to ask questions, learn and to share what you are experiencing with others who REALLY understand.

If you need to "talk", feel free to contact me.Hope all goes well with the first chemo treatment.

Lynn

Lynn, I was so amazed to hear that your dad has survived with this for 20 years. How did he do it? Did the docs tell him he was terminal back then and he did well despite this? Please write back and tell all.

Thanks again,

Kelly,

You just remind your dad there are other's who have "beaten" this beast into submission.

Keep coming back here - you will find support and your will find a lot of answers along with encouragement.

My husband Mike was 51 when he was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer with mets to his liver. That was 16 and a half months ago.

Hugs,

Kellyu,

Yes, my Dad was told he had only a few months left with the chemo in 1983...and the chemo for this disease is better now.

He didn't "do" anything special...all anyone can really do is support, encourage and love the person going through this. It is frustrating because we want to do more...

How did his treatment go?

Lynn

Kelly, Altho I had NSCLC, I was considered a Dead Girl Walking at the cancer center. You can read a synopsis of my trip under Inspiration: A 4 percenter who's still here.

Not one of these lung cancers are 100% fatal. Your dad is young. It is possible!

Remember: The power of positive thinking can change your life! JudyB

You guys have made me feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better just by having someone to talk to who REALLY understands. My dad finished his 3 rd day of chemo yesterday and so far has only had a headache(sinus like), I guess this is normal. He is eating, sleeping and hopefully getting stronger/better. When I was talking to him today on the phone he had a coughing fit and had to hang up. It scared me. Is this normal during chemo, maybe the bad stuff is coming up. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

Sorry you and your Dad are dealing with this. My husband was diagnosed in December with much the same thing. He just finished his 7th round of treatment. He is feeling pretty good. He is thin and tired a lot, but Sunday we mowed the lawn! He is back to eating well and has gained 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I am optimistic. This stuff CAN be beaten!

Dear Kelley,

I went thru a period when i was first diagnosed with the worse possible cough! then, when i started chemo, had coughing fits as well, coughed up some pretty nasty stuff, which the dr. seemed to indicate was normal. body getting rid of bad stuff. I took Hycodin syrup with codine and that really controls the coughing. Tell dad we're rootin' for him :)

Hi Kelley,

I went through 4 rounds of chemo 3 days each between April and June of last year. I had many symptoms (fatigue, weakness, no appetite, some nausea, ) but i don't recall having headaches. I had difficulty sleeping at night (probably due in part to the fact i slept alot during the day and was depressed). Possibly the headaches could be related to the tremendous stress he's feeling. i found taking tylenol pm at night helped with the wakefulness i had. the anti-nausea drug Zofran is great for controlling that. your dad's doctor may prescribe that for dad. please keep us posted and keep your chin up :wink:

Kelly,

My husband has just started his second round of Chemo. With the first three treatments, he complained of headaches. His doctor said that it was normal, it was a result of all the stress, and the introduction of toxins in his body. The headaches only lasted a day or two after each treatment. This cycle however, he hasn't had a headache yet.

Welcome to the site, and I am sorry about your father. Please come whenever you need an emotional lift, or when you have any news, good or bad. We love to share in the good news, and be there for support if there is any bad.

You will be in my prayers,

Carleen

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Kellyu,

My 52 year old step-dad was diagnosed March 1, 2003 with extensive SCLC, with mets to liver and nodes. Staying informed and positive helps so much. My mother and sister had not spoken in over a year and a half, but we reconnected as a whole family, and that has made us, especially my step-dad, stronger people. I'm here to lend any support I can.

Hi Carleen:

Thanks for writing me back. I love hearing from everyone on this board. Went with dad today to oncologist for check up. He started first round of chemo last monday and so far(keep your fingers crossed)has had little if any reactions. Dr. said to look out for fevers this week. Will start second round week of june 2nd. Actually feels little better and liver was less palpable today(good I think). I am just sooo heart sick over this whole thing and HATE to see my dad go through any of this. Nice to know am not alone and told dad today that he is never ALONE in this and made him cry(good cry) I think.

Thanks for listening.

PS liver function is good too according to latest blood tests!