still numb from news - my father has lung cancer

Hello Everyone,

My father, age 63, was diagnosed with adenosquamous carcinoma and today they said one lymph node is affected. He checked others even though he doesnt think they are affected, but we have to wait for final lab results. My father is in remission from non hodgkins lymphoma.

I go back and forth from numb to uncontrollable crying. Does anyone know anything about this type and did they have a node affected. Ive been reading some survivor stories and find them so encouraging.

Thank you for listening, I was so grateful to find this website.

Linda

Linda:

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I too am going through a similar situation with my dad(51) and SCLC just diagnosed. This site is a WONDERFUL support for us. Take it one day at a time and keep reading and posting. You and your family are in my prayers.

Hi Linda.

Tough pill to swallow - cancer is hard enough on everyone as it is, the first time; I can't imagine having to "get up" again to fight another battle.

BUT!! You will find many people on this website who are dealing with multiple cancer attacks, and surviving them. If your father's attitude is anything like my father's (he has just completed treatment for Non Hodgekins) he has what it takes to do what it takes to beat this one into remission as well.

As for me, I've been around 26 years since my left lung was removed, and there are many more long term survivors out there that you'll probably get a chance to talk with, and who can help you and your father through this. I think it would be good for your dad to register; it sure did me a world of good to talk to others who have walked in my shoes.

So, everything sounds real doomy gloomy right now, but you mustn't get caught up in the what ifs. There are too many of them. Concentrate on the positive stuff - cause it's still out there - sometimes it's just a little harder to find. Remember to take care of yourself as you care for your father. Call any time you want to talk, OK Linda? Bye for now,

David P.

Hi, Linda (the beautiful one in Spanish)! Sorry about your dad. My prayers are with you. Yes, there are a lot of folk here who understand the path you find yourself on now. Please let us know how things are going with your dad and yourself, and how you are feeling. That is what this message board is all about -- support and caring. Blessings. Don

Hello Linda;

So sorry you and your dad are going through this; but glad you are here!

I was dx.'ed with squamous tpye NSCLC and had one node which was in the lung affected so I was a stage IIB. Like David, my left lung was removed and that was over two years ago. I was 50 years old when I was diagnosed and today I'm doing just fine. I'm not mountain biking like my buddy David is but I do enjoy a round of golf and by the way the family pic. was taking in the rainforests of Costa rica 8 weeks after my surgury. :shock::shock: So, bottom line is people can and do survive lung cancer and you will find many wonderful people right here.

So again, glad you found us and please let us know how your dad is doing. I will keep both you and your dad in my prayers.

God bless and be welll

Bobmc - NSCLC stage IIB - left pneumonectomy 5/2/01-

"absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Guest DaveG

I am a 19 month survivror od Adeno. I've had 2 surgeries, inwhich I had resections both times.

After undergoing a number of scans, lab work, and xrays, in April, I was restaged to stage IV. I started chemo on May 5, Corboplatin and Taxel, plus I am in clinical trial.

Even though getting the new diagnosis devaststated me, over the previous 18 months, I have learned much about courage and what it takes to beat this disease. This website has been a big help to me. This is one of the most wonderful groups in the world. Everyone here cares deeply about the other person, and we fully understand our mission is survivorship,

Please continue to come here for your support and inspiration.

Thank you, thank you and thank you again, each one of you for responding to my post. I cant tell you how much it helps me. This has just been a terrible week. Tomorrow we go to the oncologist and hopefully will have a plan.

And, Don, my name might be Linda, but this week I am ANYTHING but beautifull!!!! :roll:

Linda

Hi Linda,

What a wonderful group of people you have found here. My beloved mom was diagnosed in March, Stage IIIB with lymph node involvement. I was devastated. I was feeling overwhelmed and after reading so many depressing statistics, felt I needed to find some support. That is how I came across these great and supportive people. The stories of hope and courage inspired me. Each day is difficult, but I have learned to make the most of them. My mom is unable to have surgery, but her doctor told her there is also great hope with chemo and radiation treatments. We pray for her everyday and I will pray for your dad too. Andrea B.

When My Mom, was diagnosed with lung cancer. I thought I couldn't handle it. I went from anger, to depseration and to denial. Well by a miracle she is still here, and I thank God everyday for that. While I do not know much about what your Dad has, I know how you are feeling, and feel free to email if you need an ear. It is Ok to cry. My thoughts are with you. *hugs*

Andrea and Steph,

Thank you for responding to my post. Both of your stories are inspiring. I offer the same to you, please feel free to email and vent ANYTIME! Thank you also for your prayers, that is what we are hanging on to!

Linda

Linda, I am so sorry that this has happened. I can imagine you're feelings becuase when I was diagnosed with lung cancer, I was numb, sick, scared beyond any fear I've ever felt. Well, I still have those feelings at times, but this board has helped me so much. The encouraging stories and caring people in here keep me optimistic. Just stay in touch here and you will feel encouraged and enlightened. Keep the positive attitude, Linda for yours as well as your dad's sake. It will make all the difference. Your dad will be in my prayers...keep us posted. Cherry45