Social Security Disability..Tim got his first check !

Guest Tim'sKathy

Guest Tim'sKathy

We lucked out with the social security office here....Tim applied for Social Security at the end of March/beginning of April and the case worker said he would push it through. He also backdated his eligibilty to when he was first out of work (which was October) not when he was diagnosed (December) so that the 6 month waiting period was up in April.

Tim got his first check 5/15- less than 2 months...I am so thankful because even with me working full time, it was getting scary....

Hope everyone else has as much luck in finding a case worker that cares !

Kathy

Wife of Tim, 54, dx 12/27/02 NSCLC stage IIIB with malignant pleural effusion, Talc Pleurodecis 1/24/ 03, 5 of 6x

Carbo/Taxol Treatments done...scans after 4 treatment show mass shrinking and lung has completely re-expanded.

Guest TimsKathy

This was such a relief....I expected them to reject it and then have to appeal it, but I guess when it is unresectable or involves the pleura (he had a malignant pleural effusion) it is automatically approved.

Kathy

Every bit of good news is a relief isn't it? Hugh's disability started coming last month. Its true that the people at Social Security are very helpful. I guess its like most things. They deal with so much fraud that they tend to get the reputation of being nasty, but when people are honestly in need they are honestly willing to get things done for you. I was also nervous about money even though I work, Hugh has always been the primary money maker in our family and we depend on his income. Disability is a lot less than we are used to, but its doable with a few lifestyle changes - heck, our lifestyle is pretty much changed anyway. Yesterday we sat on the deck watching the hummingbird and we talked about how enjoyable it was. Who needs expensive weekends away when you can sit on the deck and enjoy your own yard for free? So long as Hugh and I can do it together, I will be grateful.

Alrighty Kathy thats great news ! I have my appt. Friday with the SSA here. Hopefully they will decide on my case and i will recieve a dose of good news as well. I currently have enough short term disability payments from work to carry me thru this Sept. after that i am worried. Hopefully i will be able to return to work after my treatments and all however the type of work i have always done will probably be out of the question.

Greg