SCLC chemo treatment clinical performance

berisa

My dad was diagnosed with SCLC on around 4/1/2003.

1st round chemo (Using et & cisplatin) finished on 5/1/2003, next week will start the 2nd round chemo + radiotheraphy.

he got the x-ray check last week (one to two weeks after the 1st round chemo), today Doctor said that according to the x-ray film, the tumor didn't get smaller.

I want to ask, is it normal? The doctor said, my dad just finish the first round of chemo that it may be too early to evaluate the effectiveness of the chemotheraphy.

I wish to know, is it true that it should not have too much positive effect on reducing the tumor size just right after the 1st round chemo?? Since SCLC is sensitive to chemotheraphy, our whole family is quite discouraged.

thanks for kind advice.

____

dad, 58, smoker, quit for 2 years

dx SCLC and mets the nearby one lymph node when diagnosed

I wouldnt think it would work that fast. Also he used an x-ray. He will probably do a CT scan later which has better resolution. I don't think it would be very easy to see a small change on an x-ray. I'm not a Dr, just from what I have read it doesnt seem like a small change could be seen

I dont know how to use the word of "round" and "cycle", let me try to explain again.

Dr. predicts my dad will have 4 - 6 cycles of chemo, each cycle will have consecutive 3 days chemo, then rest for few weeks....

My dad finished the third day of first cycle on 5/1/2003, had the X-ray scan on 5/13/2003. According to the x-ray film, no change !!

Thank you for your reply.

Don't panick! My husband had 2 full rounds (each round = 3 days of treatment then 2 1/2 weeks off) and then he had a chest xray which showed, after the 2 rounds only a small improvement. He had a CAT scan after 3 and it showed a significant improvement in both the tumor and the mets.

Hang in there!

thx for your immediate reply that it really makes me feel much much better. I come from Hong kong, found this website randomly by my young sister, my dad is taking chinese medicine (see a chinese herb doctor) and one brand of supplement. Don't know whether it works or not, just only could know when comparing with other patients' health status and the side effects of chemo.

I'm a little surprised that they would even check for results that soon. Is your dad feeling better or worse? I would agree that no change is probably good at this point. Remember this cancer doubles every 30 days so no change could actually be a big response. Try not to worry, I am using this same treatment and it seems to be doing very well for me. I also have the same diagnosis as your dad. The SCLC is usually very responsive to treatment. Keep us posted on how things go.

Jenny

Hello and welcome,

I am also confused why they checked x-rays so soon. My mom has SCLC and she did not notice alot of symptom relief until after her third round of chemo. Her scans were checked after the third round of chemo and the mediastinal mass was 50% gone and after the 6th round it was almost 100% gone. Don't get discouraged as it takes a few weeks for the chemo to do it's thing and SCLC does respond well to chemo.

Susan M.

Berisa,

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry that we both have to meet here and under these circumstances.

I fully understand how frustrating it is to wait for results. Waiting is one of the hardest parts of this wild ride we are on. As the others have said, one round of chemo is still early to expect noticeable response. However, I am just like you. After my husband's first round I wanted to see a total improvement. Hang in there, and keep your hopes up.

If you need any support or just to talk, we are here for you.

Carleen

I've just begun with only one treatment of chemo, but was warned by my doctor not to be discouraged, if it had not shrunk at first check. The point is to keep it from growing and spreading, at first. Hang in there...give it time. Cherry45

:D I am really happy to find here. All your advices and support are really important to me. Although we come from different places in earth, no matter what race we are, we are human being.

Thanks for the continuous medical research efforts for helping all kinds of patients. Days by Days, the cure becomes far more better. Internet brings us altogether and "Information" flow is really important. We can share what we know, what we feel in different places via here.

Thanks for the Webmaster creating and maintaining this meaningful website. GOD bless your work.

Now, I only wish my dad could believe in JESUS, everyone will die but I know I can see him again someday. May God's mercy on all of us.