Husband has NSCLC

Hello everyone!

I have been reading the posts here for a few weeks and just lurking about, but encouraged by all of your stories and the warmth and caring I have found here.

My 57 year old husband, Tim, was dx in Feb with two primary tumors, transitional cell kidney cancer and NSCLC-squamous cell-IIIA. Of course a lot of tests went into getting the final answers to all of this. At first we just knew he had some type of lung cancer and something wrong with his kidney. A PET scan showed that the kidney was cancer and they removed the kidney by laprascope on March 27. They found that his body had walled off the tumor and it is considered Stage 1 (thank God for that!). So the kidney is not a great concern now. The LC is in his left lung and he will have surgery to remove the entire lung June 11. He has had radiation and chemo (carboplatin and taxotere) for five weeks and will have follow-up chemo after the surgery.

We have the best doctors, thanks to Allcase-it was the first place I called and when I told them I was in the Seattle area they told me to go to Dr. Howard West at the Swedish Cancer Institue. Thank you, Jan! It was the best advice we were given. He is Tim's oncologist and has been great! He says we are going for a cure...and I believe him. Tim went through the chemo very well, very little nausea and some fatigue a few days after each treatment. I think he was on lower doses to protect his one remaining kidney. No hair loss and he actually gained weight-almost 12 pounds!! So far--so good. But we are worried about the surgery and the recovery. It seems some of you sail through it but some are still having trouble six months out. Not sure why that is. I am trying to hang in there and I take care of him and all the medical insurance paperwork, go to each doctor visit and take notes--so much info all at once. I just wanted to thank all of you for being there for me--even if you didn't know you were. It's been such a help to know that people can get though this without becoming insane with the stress.

Hi Anniemac,

I'm sorry for your needing to be here, but welcome you. So glad you decided to jump into the fray! It sounds as if you are on a good track and have good people working with you. BTW, I live in Yakima. Feel free to e-mail me. :D

Hi Anniemac,

I am sorry to hear about your husband. You have found a great support system here. We too are in the Seattle area and my mom went to see Howard (Jack) West at the Swedish Cancer Institute for her second opinion. He is great. He was very caring and took the time to answer our questions. I am sure your husband is in great hands. You will be included in my prayers.

Andrea

Thanks everybody! Just knowing you are out there is a comfort. I just told Tim that as much as our friends and family support and love us, no one really understands how devastating this news is until you have been there. It bolsters my hope to read how upbeat most of you are and also breaks my heart that so many people have to go through this. I sure can see that we are luckier than some. We wait on pins and needles every time Tim has a test, but they all come back with good news (well, except for the cancer!). The brain scan was good and there was a scare last month that the PET scan had picked up some bone mets to his spine, but it was only scars from back surgery a few years ago. He had a CT scan at the end of his treatment last week and it showed that the tumor was half the size it was five weeks before. So, like I said...good news with each test. Thanks for the support...I feel like I have had a big hug. :lol:

Hello AnnieMac,

I am so sorry to hear about your husbands ordeal...

It sounds as if he's in great hands....and responding well to treatment. Keep in mind that surgery (while hard) is the best place to be headed...

I will add you to my prayers

Take care

Laura

Anniemac,

My husband had surgery on 12/3/02 to remove the upper right lobe. The surgery is tough, there is not question about it. But he has had no lingering pain from the surgery. The brain and chest radiation have been tougher in the long term than the surgery.

Good luck and blessings to your husband.

Guest BETH

NED is what we all pray for No evidence of Disease. Welcome to our group although no one wishes to be here. Every one is very supportive and you don't feel alone.

Beth

Anniemac,

Very sorry to hear about your husband. We all grieve when LC enters into the life of another person. However, we are here for you, day and often nights for support, information, and a place to voice your feelings.

I will pray for you and your husband

Carleen

Hi Annie and welcome; my very best to you and Tim;

This is some tough stuff your going through but it does sound like Tims on a fast track for a cure. I had my left lung removed just over two years ago and have been NED since. Life is not the same as I've slowed down a bit but thats OK. I'll say the recovery for me was a bit slow, but then I did manage to go hiking through the rainforests of Costa Rica 8 weeks after surgury. My wife says something about me being a determined, compulsive wacko when I remind her of it. :shock::shock: ; Anyway, I started playing golf again 3 months after the operation and went back to work at 5 months post op. The point is cancer is not a death sentence and people can manage just fine with 1 lung. Sounds like you and Tim are doing all the right stuff, I'll keep you both in my prayers.

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC - stage IIB - left pneumonectomy - 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"