Does the doctor ever call you with good or bad news??

barbara w

My dad is going in tomorrow for the results of his ct scans from Wednesday. He'll be finding out how this Velcade trial is going. He also had an MRI two weeks ago - he had a little pain in his back (gone now) and his onc ordered the MRI. We've heard nothing about that, we haven't seen her since.

My question is - does your doctor call you with results, good or bad, or do they wait until your in the office. Part of me is worried that she's waiting to sit us down. The other part thinks 'no news is good news.' This is going to be such a longgg night! Wish us luck.

Hello, Barbara.

I received my diagnosis over the phone and my "get it out within the next three weeks, contact one of my partners" message... Since then, I have received other news while in the office (unless I cheat and call my GP for the results).

My thought would be if my x-ray was questionable, my doctor would call (or actually, his office) with more tests that he would have ordered - other than that, it's pretty much routine. I do the tests and a week later I have an appointment with my oncologist to go over the results and any new questions I may have on treatments, studies, etc.

Try not to worry tonight. Nothing is going to change if you worry or not, so decide not to (yeah, I know, easier said than done...)

Take care,

Becky

Barbara,

Waiting is the absolute worst! My doctor always schedules my appointment with him 2 or 3 days after any scans and lets me know the results in his office.

I would say that since it is an MRI and a CT scan, they will tell you the results in the office so that you can discuss the results and appropriate actions in person.

Hoping for good news!

TAnn

Lucie's onc is good about calling, good or bad news. He usually calls within two or three days from the test, if we call and confirm that the tests was done (most tests are done at a hospital different from the onc). Sometimes, we have had to call in and remind his nurse that we care waiting for results. We had not have to wait more than 4 days, as I recall. I think Lucie is fortunate to have this guy. Don

I think it depends on the Dr. When I was first diagnosised, my Doctor called me into his office.

After my surgery, they didn't really lay it all out until I met with the Oncologist. My Surgeon told me what he found, but didn't go into staging etc with me, not that I caould have asked any questions, at that point anyway.

Good Luck.

Some dr.s do and some dont. When first dx's, out dr. called. All through chemo and radiation-no one called. After surgery while everyone else was meeting with surgeons to hear updates, ours only called, no one to be seen in person. I guess the best thing to do is ask next time if someone can call when the results come in. Or... call yourself. Im sure if they are in, there wont be any trouble in calling.

Jamie

After every test I have done, I ask when they think they will have the results. It is usually within 2 days. I then make a trip over to that office and request a copy of the report. I show my id and I get the copy. I then have it in front of me when I talk to my doctor. I usually get the results before the doctor does. Maybe this is just in California but they are my tests and my results and I have a right to see them.

For me, the more informed I am, the more "in control" I feel. I never was very good at waiting!

Nancy

In my case -- I AM NOT A GOOD "WAITER".....

Since I have all my test/scans done at the same facility where I have treatment, they usually have the preliminary reports in a matter of hours. Even though my doctor schedules my appts. a day or two after the scans, that's tooooooo long for me!!! Myself or my husband usually calls and ask our nurse practitioner.....she usually is expecting the call and has the results handy!

In my opinion 2 weeks is entirely too long to wait for MRI results -- next time, I would get on the phone a few days after a test like that to put your mind at ease!!!

In any event, best of luck to your father on these results!

Heather

In my Dads case, the Onc always schedules the CT Scan and MRI and then schedules an appt for my Dad to see him two days later. So we never have to wait long. They do call Daddy with the results of his blood work the very next day - ALWAYS.