Tuesdays With David A

Ry

This is too hard. I have been able to handle the other deaths we've had on the board, they were somewhat expected. Not so David's. I am at a loss here. I did pretty well most of the day until I called okdebi to leave a message on her cell and started to cry like a baby (sorry Debi, that garbled message is me). I wrote to Dave Grant and Bobmc...trying to do something constructive.

I have lost my partner in crime. My e-mail and PM box are full of messages from him. He was so excited about the Michigan Bash and his new Mustang. It is not right that the procedure that should have bought him more time cost him his life.

And today is Tuesday... his day to run the chat. Not sure if new people know that the Tuesday chat was started by David and he called it "Tuesdays with David A". He started it because he could not make the Wed chat because he was taking a class at the time. He loved chat, from the first time he came and man did we have some fun in those early days. We would laugh so hard.

There was a time neither of us could sleep well. When we would be on the board early in the morning we would meet each other in chat and talk till he had to wake his boys for school.

I'm going to miss that big putz. This is such a sad sad day.

Rochelle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ry,

I too have been having a harder time than ever with David. Maybe it was because he was so "Real" to me. I dont know what Im tryin to say. Over the past couple of weeks that he wasnt feeling well, Id find myself logging on just to make sure he was doing ok. We have the same sense of humor, and his jokes always made me laugh (yes-even the dumb ones). Funny how people say you could make any joke funny if you tell it right. David didnt even need to tell it right and I was cracking up... Ive been thinking of him all day long. I never met him, and for that I find myself feeling silly. He was still my friend.

Jamie

It is a sad day indeed. We will all miss David and his wonderful sense of humor. I am numb, I am so sorry Ry. I only knew him from the board, but he was a fellow warrior in the same battle. David died fighting this disease. He refused to give in to it. Thank you for sharing a part of yourself with us. It just won't be the same without you.

Cheryl

I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry Rochelle, I know you were a great friend to David and that is all we can ever strive to be in life.

I'm having a hard time with this death also. I saw the post this morning before work, and sobbed in the shower and on my way to work. I'm not a cryer but I have cried enough tears today for the year. I can't seem to stop, and each time that I remember that David is gone, the tears start up again. I have cried so much that I have a headache and my eyes hurt.

I only told 2 people at work what happened, when they asked what was wrong. It seemed so hard to try to explain why I was this upset over someone that I never met nor talked to other than in email or PMs or on this board.

David was so full of life and humour.. I am going to miss him for a very long time....

I know Ry..I wondered how you were doing..Remember I asked you at the party if you and David were friends before the boards..You both just seemed to have a friendship that went beyond lung cancer..I could see the fondness David had for you thats why I asked..There was a genuine friendship there..I so loved meeting him that day, it felt so good to hug him..I know thats why this is so sad, he was real as well as everyone else here..I dont know how much longer I can be here, way too painful..He was so happy to be at the bash along with his beautiful family..Thank you Ry and John....

I am so shocked and saddend about David I just dont know what to say, he seemed like a big teddy bear that you just wanted to hug, I am so sorry prayers go out to his family and God bless them all. I just dont know if I can stay with the board there has been so much death here that I am getting so scared because my hubby has been going down hill this last week, I just dont know. Charolette

Rochelle,

We are all so sad about David, but you and John knew him as a real friend, making it so much harder.

David fought so hard. No matter how tough things were going for him, he always had an up message for someone that was down. He was a friend to everyone on this board.

When you join a board like this, you know there will be sadness, it just goes with the territory. But the joy that people like David received from the love and support and bad jokes (Mr. Ry, Bruce, you guys know who you are) makes you realize that the comradeship, knowledge and cyber love we give each other outweighs the sadness.

I too cried today over a man whose voice I had never heard, but who had a special place in my heart. I will miss him.

Dear Rochelle,

My sympathies go out to you and Mr. Ry. I wish I could have met David in person. It is rare to find somebody that can actually converse in "drag racing". David was planning to go to a really big race over Labor Day and we e-mailed a bit about that. I sent two of our racing t-shirts to his boys and he said he would take a picture of them in the shirts - he never got the chance. So many things he never got the chance to do. This is a sad, sad day. So many tears.

Hugs,

Nancy B

I feel so terrible about David A. You guys are so right--he'll be missed terribly by us, and just thinking about his twins breaks my heart. What a touching story he had of his life......what a loss.

Here's to you David A--a friend to all of us.

My smpathies to you Ry and Mr. Ry as you knew him better than the rest of us for sure. David and I PM'd quite often and I think it started right after I read his story and PM'd him. This past week we spoke about talking on the telephone and we were going to wait until after his surgery as he said he got winded rather quickly lately. I was looking forward to that chat. His courage throughout his life and with his addictions drew me close to him as he conquered them just as my Brother had. I admired him for that. He was so thankful for meeting his wife and falling in love and cleaning up his life. Then the birth of his twin sons, what a proud daddy! There is no doubt each of us could tell a story of how David impacted our lives. I am so saddened for his wife, sons and family. Imagine if we loved him that much here how much they love him and will miss him. David had so many dreams unfulfilled, He also fought this nasty disease with everything he had! He is in Heaven I am sure and breathing easily now. There is no sadness there and the sadness is for us to bear. God has taken our friend David to Paradise and we shall all see him again when we get there.

God bless us all,

Jane

Dear Ry,

Sadly enough, after I read the shocking news of our David, after thinking of his family, your name popped in my head ASAP. All I could think of was, "I wonder how Ry is doing?" I know you loved and cared so much for your friend David, and HE did for you as well! What a wonderful friendship you had with one another. (((((((((((RY))))))))))))

I'm sorry Ry you lost a dear dear friend. I know how close you two were. ((((((((RY)))))))))

I'm sitting here just shaking my head in shock and sadness. I HATE THIS DAMN DISEASE!!! I HATE IT, I HATE IT! I just went to a wake today for a friend 57 years old that passed away from lung cancer. I HATE THIS CRAP!!!!

Love & Hugs,

Con

Ry, I thought of you as soon as I read about David. I know it has to be very hard on you and John cause it is so very sad for me and others who knew him only on the board. He was a wonderful fellow and he was always upbeat. I am so sorry. ((((RY))))

Nina

Thinking of you both also. I will never forget David's excitement about the party. His "kicking up the post" cracked me up. He was just like a youngster waiting for Christmas. You certainly added so much to the joy in his life as he added so much to all of ours.

Ry -- and "Mr. Ry",

It's just unfair -- as is everything about this d__n disease. My heart goes out to you -- and of course to Dave's family. Like everyone else, I read his posts and loved them -- never thought they would come to such an abrupt end. But he'll live on through you and through all the others he influenced who are continuing his fight against the Beast.

Ellen

This is very hard. David A was (still is?) a big part of this board. He & I exchanged e-mails on occasion. He was always encouraging me when I was going through treatments. I I tried to do the same for him. We talked about spiritual matters. I wish I would have know the seriousness of the procedure, I would have made an effort to visit him before hand.

He had a sort of kid like quality that made him very endearing to us here. He was so open about things, and could laugh at himself. I thank God that Ry hosted that party and I did get to meet, talk, hug and laugh with him. My prayer, God, please keep him well with you until we see him again in the next life.

Although I never met him, just reading his post made you like him.

It has saddened me more that I imagined, so I know it must be hard for those who really knew him. The procedure was suppose to help him, not take him away. It's so sad and so scary also.

BJ

Ry,

I was saddened as most were by the news of David's passing. I wish I had sat & chatted with him more at the MI bash. I know you were both close to David & my heart goes out to you & John & of course David's family. I will miss his posts that humored & enlightened us all. Now,as David said before..."Let's keep this on top"!

Rachel