26 year old , Mom just diagnosed

mandy

I am an only child, I just moved back to NY after living out of state for the last couple of years. My mother was just diagnosed with NSCL last week. but the doctor hasn't finished "staging" her. From the looks of things she is between IIIa and IV.

I am so close to my parents, and I am terrified of loosing my mother. Both of may parents are relatively passive people, so I find myself managing my mother's healthcare with all the intensity that I used to manage my career. I am worried about my parents and about myself, my friends with healthy families can not understand...

I am glad to see that this community exists.

mandy

Guest HerSon

Welcome Mandy! I'm an only child too who just lost my mom to this horrid disease 4 months ago, so I know what you are going through. When my mom was first diagnosed last November, I tried to prepare myself for the inevitible, but of course this was the worst thing that has ever happened to me. It was so hard watching her deal with the effects of radiation and drugs. Now I do my best to go on because that's what she would want for me. This site is full of wonderful people who will be of great support to you, so lean on us and try to stay strong!

Welcome Mandy,

I am sorry to hear about your Mother. You have come to a support community that will be there for you, unconditonally.

You will also find a great wealth of knowledge and experience in all aspects of lung cancer with this group so ask what you need to know.

I am the Mother of an only child and I can relate to the closeness that you have with your parents. It's that relationship that will give you the strength and stamina to get through this.

Your friends with healthy families couldn't possibly feel what you are feeling right now but that doesn't mean that they don't care or that they aren't going to be there for you. Alot of it is that they just don't know what to do or what to say . When we were just going through the diagnostic stages of my lung mass I can recall my Son saying that he wished he could express how he felt but couldn't get the words in a sentence that could say what he was wanting to say.I am sure you are hurting and trust me on this one, your Mom is hurting for you right now as well. Keep up the fight and lead your Mom through this.

My best to you and your family.

Kate

Welcome Mandy,

We have a wonderful group here, many of which are comprised of the children of those who have the lung cancer. Please also remember that while you may hear of many statistics and hear many stories, LOTS of people do survive lung cancer. What the actual statistic is doesn't matter if your mom is one of them. Help her to keep hope. We are here for you and for your family if you need us.

Welcome Mandy! I'm the 29 year old daughter of a very special Mom who has SCLC. She was diagnosed last December and it's been a hard but rewarding road for her and the family since then. Hang in there!!!

Remember to "breathe" and take good care of yourself. By taking good care of yourself, you will be able to be the support that she needs! You're not alone.

Kel

Dear Mandy,

So sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. Hard as it is, it's very helpful to be proactive, researching, reaching out to a forum such as this. I know you'll find lots of information and support here -- I certainly have. Let us know how things go with your Mom.

Ellen

Mandy,

Sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you found us.

Seems to me it's a bit too early to be talking about "loosing" anybody just yet. There are dozens of folks right here on this board who have lived long past any time line "statistics" or the doctors have given them. Heck, I've beaten the odds a bit myself. Going on 11 months since my diagnosis and I'm not getting treatment at all!

The road you've found yourself on is a tough one, no doubt about that. BUT .... other's have travelled it successfully and so can you. And you DON'T have to travel it alone.

Dean

Dear Mandy,

I am also a daughter who has a mother facing this terrible disease. BUT, I am 46 and have 5 siblings. I cannot imagine going through this at 26 alone. You and your parents will be in my prayers.

I do know that you will find strength beyond what you ever thought possible. When it comes to our mothers we can do anything. We will walk to the end of the earth to make them comfortable.

You will treasure the time you have with her. And do continue to manage her healthcare like you manage your career, that is very important.

Elaine

PS.....the "other" Elaine BTW....How are you, Elaine??? I think of you often.