I'm new too

Dear Becki,

All I can add to the wonderful advise and welcome that everyone else has tended is my own poor welcome. I'm glad you've found us and have asked these questions. I hope you'll share them with your former inlaws and get them involved in this forum as well. And that you'll keep us posted on your nephew's progress.

Thinking of him and you,

Ellen

Hi all,

I wish I had better news to share. Drew's surgery was yesterday and the Dr. told his mom it was very unusual. The tumor took up his entire pulmonary artery which had to be removed. They spared the lung for now, attached a different artery to start pumping blood back into the lung. I think she said it was about 90% damaged, but hoping to revive it with a new blood supply. The tumor was a spindle cell sarcoma. I haven't had much time to research yet, but what they told her was that it attacks muscles. I think it is similar to the tumor my mom had a few years back in her leg (she had to have 3 of the 4 quads in her thigh removed with the tumor). The docs also said he probably has it elsewhere in his body. For now he's in ICU and they are monitoring the lung.

That's all I know for now. In everything I've read, I've never heard the terms spindle cell. Can anyone explain this if they've heard of it?

I'm off to research some more.

Thanks again - I've included this entire board on my prayer list, those going thru this now and those more than willing to share info and prayers.

God Bless,

Becki

Becki -

I found this on the internet

"Medical Dictionary

Definition: A type of connective tissue cancer in which the cells are spindle-shaped when examined under a microscope."

and also......

"Once soft tissue sarcoma is diagnosed, additional tests called staging are performed to determine spread (metastasis), prognosis for leiomyosarcoma, and an appropriate

treatment strategy.

Stage IA: Spindle cell sarcoma near surface; diameter is less than 5 cm; has not spread; cells resemble or differ slightly from normal cells.

Stage IB: Spindle cell sarcoma near surface; larger than 5 cm; has not spread; cells resemble or differ slightly from normal cells.

Stage IIA: Spindle cell sarcoma deeper in the tissue; larger than 5 cm; cells resemble or differ slightly from normal cells.

Stage IIB: The spindle cell sarcoma either near surface or deeper in the tissue; larger than 5 cm; has not spread; cells differ from normal cells.

Stage IIC: Spindle cell sarcoma near surface; larger than 5 cm; has not spread; cells differ significantly from normal cells.

Stage III: Spindle cell sarcoma deeper in the tissue; has not spread;

larger than 5 cm; differ significantly from normal cells; prognosis is poor.

Stage IV: Spindle cell sarcoma has spread; prognosis is extremely poor."

I hope this helps in someway, I'm glad that they saved the lung so far and will keep your family in my prayers! Good luck!

Becki,

Praying for your nephew and the family. Saving the lung is a good thing. Positive attitude is a must. I know it's hard. Your nephew being

a ball player will understand. Will not be defeated.

Drew took a bad turn yesterday. He woke up throwing up a lot of blood. He had been home and doing fairly ok recovering. They rushed him back up to U of MI. His heart is enlarged and surrounded by blood. They put a drain in and are giving him blood but thought they would take him to surgery last night if they could get him stable enough. They are taking the lung out. His heart rate was in the 140's last night. I haven't heard an update yet this morning.

As far as the cancer goes, they are still not sure what course of action they are going to take. It's very rare and he is the youngest case so far reported.

Prayers and thoughts are very much appreciated. His 17th b-day is next Friday.

Thank you,

Becki