26 years old from Bend, OR just had my world turned u/d

Arayden

Hello, i am new here. I just finished reading many of the stories below and they were incredibly hopefull and encouraging to read.

Two weeks ago i went to see a doctor about a chronic cough that was bothering me *i am a non-smoker btw*. After a few x-rays, several blood tests and a CT scan i have learned i have a tumor growing in my left lung. This monday i will go in for a Biopsy, and the following day i have an appointment with my doctor. Supposedly all my questions will be answered then.

I guess i have some questions for some of the veterans on this board here, since this is something i've never had to deal with before. It's something i never expected to deal with this early in my life.

1.) What sort of questions should i be asking?

2.)How serious could this potentially be?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Welcome to our group.

I don't have any real words of wisdom for you. I know the waiting for the biopsy and the results is sooo hard. Also, it's hard to know what questions to ask until you get the biopsy results.

Please know we'll be praying for you and will be anxious to hear what the doctor has to say on Tuesday.

Jane

First you need to find out what the results are. Probably NSCLC if cancer. (Non Small Cell Lung Cancer) There are other sub types also. The best thing to do is get a copy of every thing and start a home file. Bring a tape recorder with you or at least some one reliable to listen to what the doctor says for it is very difficult to remember all alone. Get a not book to write questions you want to ask and to keep notes in. Keep us posted how the test goes. Donna G

Arayden,

Sounds like you are starting with a "temporary membership". My hope is that you don't become a card-carrying member - not because we aren't open to new faces, but because a new face means someone else is on the ride of their life.

Do NOT panic prior to the biopsy. Do NOT panic AFTER it! About the time my "suspicious mass" was found, a friend of mine (a few years younger, also female non-smoker) had a mass in HER lung, too. Unfortunately, my suspicious mass was an ugly ol' tumor, but HERS was Sarcadosis (not sure I spelled that correctly). Not unfortunate that the news was not switched, she's a dear friend of mine, unfortunate that we didn't share a "benign" diagnosis...

Just remember, not all masses ARE cancer, that's why they do biopsies. Remember to breathe... You can't really form a battle plan until you know what you're fighting, type, stage, etc.

I sure hope you won't need to get back to us, except with news that you don't meet "membership requirements" :wink:

(Actually, you are welcome here if you AREN'T a patient or caregiver, support comes in many forms...)

Becky

Ditto what Becky said. I hope it isn't cancer at all but you won't know until the biopsy report is in. Try to take deep breaths....very deep breathing helps more than you would think. Let us know what the results are but try not to panic. Let us know how we can help after you find out what type, stage etc you are in, if any stage at all. My wish for you is that this is a scare that won't turn out to be a big problem.

Nina

hi arayden,

i agree with the others (so many wise people here!). i know that it must be incredibly hard for you to "wait and see," but it could be a number of different things. remember that regardless of the test results, you always have options. this is great place to educate yourself, so don't feel like you can't ask questions or ask for prayers and support. i really feel for you because i too am 26. please keep us updated, and ask questions whenever you feel the need to.

God bless,

mj

I just wanted to thank everyone for the immense support they have shown. I had my biopsy yesterday, but due to a filing error, they werent able to process it till today. So i have to wait another day for the result.

Thank you all so much for your compassion and sympathy, it is truly heartwarming.

hello,.... and i am so sorry you are even at a place, that you have to pause with us here, I pray you are only, in pause, until better news comes... you are just too young. Please be positive and know I will be hopeful and praying for the very best news, for you..

I agree with all the wisdom already offered here. I am hoping that the tests come back benign also, but if you need us, we are here for you. There is no better place to come for love, support and comfort.

And remember, there is no such thing as a "stupid" question. If you have a question, ask it. That's what the doctors are there for, and if you think of something else, ask us....there is a wealth of information on this board.

Wishing you all the best news on your biopsy. Please keep us informed.

TAnn

Arayden,

The waiting is awful--I am so sorry.

Donna G's advice about a notebook and a recorder are key. Another really important thing to do if you can--especially when you are so scared and awaiting a diagnosis is to have someone else there with you. Chances are that your brain will not be functioning in its most analyitical mode--so another set of eyes and ears (and someone to hug, regardless of what the diagnosis is) is key. Do you have someone who can go to the appointment with you?

Please know that we are thinking of you -- and are here to help in any way that we can.

Please feel free to PM (private message) me at any time.

Melinda

Still no news :(. The Biopsy wasnt successfull, and frankly i'd never like to go through that again. On monday i am going to go through a small surgical procedure to remove a large piece of the growth. This should provide an accurate result without any further complications.

Once again, i wanted to thank everyone for their immense support. Knowing that people who are virtually strangers to you that can offer such a level of caring and understanding is simply incredible.

God Bless you all :) :)

Arayden,

We'll all be thinking of you on Monday - let us know when you get your results. If it's benign, you can just celebrate. If it's not, you'll get plenty of advise from here, as well as from your doctors, as to how to proceed. As everyone else has said, just take a deep breath and take it as it comes...yes, I know, easily said, hard to do. But know you have lots of people pulling for you.

Ellen