Have been lurking, finally "coming out"

Guest matt

Well, Matt, I guess being called a "Welcome Mat" is better than being called a "door mat"! :)

I am sorry you had the need to seek us out, but now that you are here, I hope you can find the support and answers that you need to help you on this journey.

love and fortiude

elaine

Matt,

Welcome! Here's to hoping that your clinical trial does the trick.

Nine is a great age (I'm a fifth grade teacher, so I see a lot of nine year olds--and they become "mine", generally, from ten to eleven). I know that this is non-cancer related, but the teacher in me has to ask: what books is she enjoying these days?

Don't be a stranger. :)

Melinda

Welcome to the Group Matt!

We have a great deal in common.

I was diagnosed in May 2002 (thorascopic removal of first three nodules on 41st birthday) with later removal of 8 more in July 2002. When even more came back in both lungs I went on an EGFR called Iressa and am now on that plus 800 mg of celebrex. I have also been a responder to the EFGR category and have been stable on that since 10/02. I have great faith in the new "smart" drugs!

I have two children, seventeen and eight.... they sure can keep your mind off of the cancer... :wink:

I wish you continued success with your treatment.

I haven't gotten back here since I registered (busy enjoyng the last days of summer, grateful I am able to) It is heart-warming to read all the welcomes. Thanks to all who wrote. I'll be glad to describe more about the trial I'm in. Is it best to do that here or in the "new treatments" area?

Lisa O, it's so reassuring to hear that you've been stable for 2 years. I was given such dire predictions when first diagnosed (I was in the hospital when the oncology fellow who I'd never laid eyes on before came in and told me the diagnosis and median survival in a scientific but not compassionate way). Luckily I came across Stephen Jay Gould's essay on "median survival" which helped some, but what's helped the most is actually feeling better physically, slowly but steadily.

My daughter's having a sleepover and I've gotta go, but will try to share more time here tomorrow...Matt

Hello, Matt! I'm new also, but still want to welcome you.

My boyfriend, (43 years old) recently found out that he has 4 spots on his lung. He is in denial & refusing to follow up with any tests to determine if he does actually have cancer.

You have been in my thoughts & will continue to be in my prayers.

Aims

Welcome - I also lurked for a long time before joining. I am also 46 non-smoker diagnosed with Stage IV nsclc (BAC) and the mother of an eight year old boy. I was on Tarceva for approx. 15 months before the tumors started growing again. It was a great experience as I was able to do everything that I always did. I wish you great luck with the drug and a long duration.

Welcome, Matt.

Sounds like the trial is working -- and that's always SUCH good news...and not just for you. Enjoy your little girl -- even though they can be exhausting, they're also life enhancing and probably prolonging. I know that Len gets a new lease on life just from being around our five year old granddaughter!

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Ellen

Hey there Matt.

I can understand why you, along with so many others lurk before posting... they're a pretty scary bunch until you get to know them, huh?

But as you can see, it only takes one post and you have more support than you could ever imagine. Take care, and good luck with the treatments.

David P.

Welcome Matt -

Sorry this is so late... I have had my plate full lately and for that I apologize. I too am hoping your clinical trial proves successful... you must keep us all posted! Sorry you have to be going through this crappy disease, but glad that you found this site. You will find it and the people on here to be a wonderful comfort and help to you. Welcome my friend. Sharon

Thanks to all who have written. It's been a busy end-of-summer. I hope to spend more time here soon. Today I saw my internist who was so happy I am doing well (me too!). She is concerned about the high dose of Celebrex (800mg/d) I'm on and would like to put me on a "stomach protector" like prilosec or zantac, but I'm not having any stomach trouble so will wait on that for now. Best wishes, Matt