I’ve been raging against scam cancer cures for almost 2 decades. Now I learn there is an expanding for-profit hospice industry that is transforming hospice care into a world of fraud and incompetent “care”.
Please read this November 28, 2022 expose in The New Yorker Magazine titled For-Profit Hustle.
This forum exists to provide information and comfort to those diagnosed with lung cancer. When facing slim odds at the end of my treatment rope, I was comforted knowing a reputable and caring hospice provider would ease my end-of-life struggles. That was nearly 20 years ago. Things have dramatically changed, and this change is frightening!
Here are excerpts from the expose.
- Hospice care is sold as alternative medical care.
- For profit hospice providers bribe physicians to bring new patients.
- Social media is mined to identify and enroll phantom patients. You might be surprised to find yourself enrolled in hospice!
- False Claims Act settlements resemble a protection racket: hospice executives keep their jobs, companies keep billing Medicare, whistle-blowers and their lawyers get a cut, and Justin Department attorneys cash in by moving to defend companies they once prosecuted.
- Hospice fraud trial judges are on the take!
- Turnkey-ready hospice business in Montana, Texas and Tennessee are on sale, now!
How do we know a for-profit hospice provider is legitimate? After reading this expose, I don’t. Be very, very careful investigating a hospice provider. Find out who is the medical director. Ask every member of your medical team if they know the hospice provider and medical director. Ask if there are complaints. Run away from someone selling hospice care.
Be careful out there!
Stay the course.