Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Adjuvant therapy'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
    • INTRODUCE YOURSELF!
  • STORIES OF SURVIVORSHIP
    • SHARE YOUR LUNG CANCER STORY
  • DISCUSSION FORUMS
    • GENERAL
    • LC SURVIVORS
    • NSCLC GROUP
    • SCLC GROUP
    • US VETERANS
    • CAREGIVER RESOURCE CENTER
  • TREATMENT FORUMS
    • CHEMOTHERAPY
    • IMMUNOTHERAPY
    • RADIATION
    • SURGERY
    • SUPPORTIVE CARE
  • LUNG CANCER NAVIGATOR
    • LUNG CANCER NAVIGATOR
  • NEWS / ADVOCACY
    • LUNG CANCER IN THE NEWS
    • ADVOCACY
  • LIVING WELL
    • HEALTHY LIVING / RECIPES
    • HOPE
    • JUST FOR FUN
  • SUPPORT
    • SUPPORT RESOURCES
  • GRIEF
    • GRIEF
  • TERMS OF USE
    • FEATURES AND SUPPORT

Blogs

  • An Advocates Perspective
  • Cheryncp123's Blog
  • Stay The Course
  • Lung Cancer Stories
  • Spree
  • Volunteer Voices
  • Caregivers Connection
  • Stage IV Treatment With S.B.R.T.
  • Susan Cornett
  • Robin S
  • Lung Cancer & Health Insurance: Tips on managing the mayhem.
  • Daze of My Life by Ken Lourie
  • CommUNITY Connection
  • Heather Smith
  • Lisa Haines
  • Veteran's Oprions
  • Cancer: holding his hand until his last breath
  • A Healthy Place
  • Lenny Blue
  • The Roscopal Effect
  • Ro
  • Sharron P
  • Loi ich suc khoe cua qua chi tu

Calendars

  • Survivorship Calendar
  • Advocacy Calendar
  • Events Calendar
  • Meetups Calendar

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


First name


Last name


City


Province or district (if non-US)


Postal code


Country


Interests

Found 4 results

  1. In June I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma 2A that was 4.3cm in size. Five weeks ago I had the top right lobe removed, together with associated lymph nodes. Scans show that the rest my body is clear. I also had a cancerous prostate removed 3 years ago and bypass surgery 17 years ago. According to my oncologist, because of the size of my cancer, I’m a borderline case for needing chemotherapy and he wants me to decide. The chemotherapy would be three sessions per month for 3 months, with unknown potions. I’m 74 years old, never smoked, fitter than average, below average weight, no other health conditions and bald, so hair loss is not a problem.
  2. Hello fellow survivors and caregivers. I have a difficult decision to make and would appreciate your feedback. Can I avoid more Chemo? Advice appreciated, details below... This summer I was diagnosed with NSCLC lung cancer (Stage 3B), and I've since been through chemo, radiation and successful surgery to remove my upper left lobe. My oncologist initially said he would be okay with just doing observation (CT scans every 3 months) as a next step rather than adjuvant chemo after my surgery. He said the Tumor Board was split on their opinion of doing more chemo vs observation, and I was within "national guidelines" to just observe since I was re-staged to 2A after surgery. I'm 53, never smoked, and am generally fit and healthy. My oncologist then shared my case with Dana-Farber. They recommended adjuvant chemo (2 treatments) with Carboplatin plus a new chemical I did not have before - Taxol - which will have more side effects that what I've experienced (hair loss) and would set me back in my recovery in some ways. I'm not currently employed and aiming to get back in the job market so losing my hair and looking like a cancer patient is not going to help. See below for details on my case: Diagnosis pre-treatment (June 2019): 5.5 cm tumor in my upper left lobe - Adenocarcinoma NSCLC. Growing for at least 3 years prior to my bronchoscopy. Lymph node detected with cancerous cell during bronchoscopy MRIs and PET scans were negative - no spreading outside the lungs Treatment completed (July-August 2019): 3 doses of Chemo total. 2 doses of Cisplatin + Alimta/pemetrexed, and 1 dose of Carboplatin + Alimta/pemetrexed 30 rounds of radiation - 54 Grey Doses total. Aimed at tumor and lymph nodes. Surgery completed Oct 7th: Upper left lobe resection along with removal of all local lymph nodes. VATS technique. Went well. Results: Tumor margins were clear. All lymph nodes negative. Tumor shrank from 5.5 cm to 4.2cm due to treatment. Genetic testing: EGFR Exon 20 mutation found, no others present. Aftercare - Dec 2019: Oncologist says it's "my option" if I want to get more chemo "just in case" it helps a prevent recurrence. However, he can offer NO data on if more chemo will help or not. It's a leap of faith. The reason for switching to Taxol is my tumor only shrank from 5.5 cm to 4.2 cm after chemo/radiation. Also, the tumor was more than 10% alive upon resection. I already have side effects of tinnitus from the Cisplatin (which is why they switched me to Carboplatin for the 3rd cycle), plus neuropathy in my feet. I really don't want to suffer hair loss (which Taxol causes) as I'm looking for a job and don't want to look like a cancer patient while interviewing. I believe 2 treatments of Taxol+Carboplatin would set me back 4-5 months before I get back to "normal". Plus it could increase my existing neuropathy. TLDR: I want to get back to my normal life and avoid additional chemo (especially Taxol) if possible. I also don't want to relapse, but my oncologist says there is no data on the effectiveness of doing more chemo. It's my option. I need to decide soon - it's about 2 months after surgery. What would you do?
  3. Hello fellow survivors and caregivers. I have a difficult decision to make and would appreciate your feedback. Can I avoid more Chemo? Advice appreciated, details below... This summer I was diagnosed with NSCLC lung cancer (Stage 3B), and I've since been through chemo, radiation and successful surgery to remove my upper left lobe. My oncologist initially said he would be okay with just doing observation (CT scans every 3 months) as a next step rather than adjuvant chemo after my surgery. He said the Tumor Board was split on their opinion of doing more chemo vs observation, and I was within "national guidelines" to just observe since I was re-staged to 2A after surgery. I'm 53, never smoked, and am generally fit and healthy. My oncologist then shared my case with Dana-Farber. They recommended adjuvant chemo (2 treatments) with Carboplatin plus a new chemical I did not have before - Taxol - which will have more side effects that what I've experienced (hair loss) and would set me back in my recovery in some ways. I'm not currently employed and aiming to get back in the job market so losing my hair and looking like a cancer patient is not going to help. See below for details on my case: Diagnosis pre-treatment (June 2019): 5.5 cm tumor in my upper left lobe - Adenocarcinoma NSCLC. Growing for at least 3 years prior to my bronchoscopy. Lymph node detected with cancerous cell during bronchoscopy MRIs and PET scans were negative - no spreading outside the lungs Treatment completed (July-August 2019): 3 doses of Chemo total. 2 doses of Cisplatin + Alimta/pemetrexed, and 1 dose of Carboplatin + Alimta/pemetrexed 30 rounds of radiation - 54 Grey Doses total. Aimed at tumor and lymph nodes. Surgery completed Oct 7th: Upper left lobe resection along with removal of all local lymph nodes. VATS technique. Went well. Results: Tumor margins were clear. All lymph nodes negative. Tumor shrank from 5.5 cm to 4.2 due to treatment. Genetic testing: EGFR Exon 20 mutation found, no others present. Aftercare - Dec 2019: Oncologist says it's "my option" if I want to get more chemo "just in case" it helps a prevent recurrence. However, he can offer NO data on if more chemo will help or not. It's a leap of faith. The reason for switching to Taxol is my tumor only shrank from 5.5 cm to 4.2 cm after chemo/radiation. Also, the tumor was more than 10% alive upon resection. I already have side effects of tinnitus from the Cisplatin (which is why they switched me to Carboplatin for the 3rd cycle), plus neuropathy in my feet. I really don't want to suffer hair loss (which Taxol causes) as I'm looking for a job and don't want to look like a cancer patient while interviewing. I believe 2 treatments of Taxol+Carboplatin would set me back 4-5 months before I get back to "normal". Plus it could increase my existing neuropathy. TLDR: I want to get back to my normal life and avoid additional chemo (especially Taxol) if possible. I also don't want to relapse, but my oncologist says there is no data on the effectiveness of doing more chemo. It's my option. I need to decide soon - it's about 2 months after surgery. What would you do?
  4. Good morning Members, For some of you that have followed my last post or not, here is the background info. My mom was diagnosed Stage 3A NSCLC. Her tumor is 6cm, 4.1x 3.8 x 5.8, located in the central upper left lobe and beginning to invade left main pulmonary artery. I was told that resection is possible following neoadjuvant therapy. I was given a choice of standard chemotherapy for three months OR 2 infusions of nivolumab as a trial for 4 weeks. I contemplated which first line therapy choice I would use for the last five days. However, I received a call and now was told that upon further review of the case, the team wants to move forward straight to surgery and do adjuvant chemotherapy afterwards due to fear of disease progression leaving my mom unresectable. I was not informed of what kind of resection is planned just yet. I’d like to know the risks/recovery expected with a resection of this size and location. How quickly must chemotherapy be initiated after a surgery? Is there a strong chance of hidden disease spreading as a result of surgery without having systemic chemo first? If members can weigh in with their thoughts and experiences, that would be great!
×
×
  • Create New...