Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'coughing'.
Hello all, I am new to the forum and pretty new to the cancer world. I have experienced very little with cancer as my loved ones that have been diagnosed in the past were older and chose not to be treated. My boyfriend (45 years old) started having "allergies" in Feb 20. By April 20 he had signs of sinusitis but refused to go to the doctor. May 20 he started wheezing etc when he coughed. Mid May he felt so bad he stayed in bed all day and finally agreed to go to an urgent care that evening. They diagnosed him with pneumonia/suspect COVID (he ended up being negative). He quit smoking that day (partly because he didn't even have energy to get out of the bed). 9 days later, he wasn't any better so he went back and they treated him again for pneumonia. June 10 he went back again because he still felt horrible (after I begged him to go) and they sent him to the ER because they "saw something they didn't like." Due to COVID, I was not allowed to go in with him but they started working him up right away. They did a CAT scan while he was in the ER and immediately decided to admit him to do a bronchoscopy with biopsy, which was done June 12. They discharged him that day with orders to get a PET scan. The biopsy came back as squamous cell carcinoma of the lung and the PET scan came back showing the tumor being 5.4 x 5.6 in the upper left lobe. We had issues getting him in with the Dr he was supposed to see so we contacted University of Md Baltimore Greenebaum Cancer Center. They immediately put us in contact with a thoracic surgeon, who we met with 6/24. He told us that my boyfriend needed to have surgery right away to remove the whole left lung. He also said he was passing the case off to a higher up in the hospital, who we met with virtually the next day. After that virtual appointment, they had my boyfriend scheduled for all types of tests pre-surgery. On 6/26, that doctor presented the case to the tumor board and another Dr spoke up about a trial that **MAY** be able to save his lower lobe of the lung. The main symptom that my boyfriend has had is severe coughing (no blood, just occasional sputum). He declines that he is SOB but he can't walk around the house one circle without stopping to catch his breath (which he also declines). We haven't spoke with the Dr that suggested the trial yet, that comes in two days, but we already have concerns. His Dr said it would be 2-3 months of treatment and then surgery to remove the upper lobe. This doesn't solve the problem of the cough. He has been bed ridden for a week now, as it is the only way to keep the cough halfway calm. We have tried cough drops, sugar free candies, warm tea with lemon/honey, gingerale, cepacol drops, throat spray, etc. My boyfriends inclination is to move forward with the surgery ASAP so that the cough is gone, and then go through treatment. Can anyone give any advise? For those that have faced the same decisions, what did you do and would you make the same decision again?
Hello All!! My father has had 4 chemo treatments (5 would have been yesterday but he couldn't get because his blood count was 1500). So, he is going to try again next Wednesday and continue his radiation, which is currently at 18 so far with 12 more to go. Here's my crazy question...he says he isn't coughing up chunks of material. I am wondering if this is a bad sign--that the tumor isn't dying. His follow up scan has been set for April 3rd...about six weeks away. He was given medicine yesterday to treat a possible yeast infection in his mouth and if that doesn't clear things up he is supposed to double his Aclyovir for cold sores in his mouth. One more thing, he says nothing tastes "right" and the oncologist told him some patients said that cold pineapple chunks helped with that. Have any of got any other hints? Thank you you so much! This site keeps me going! Nicole