Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'wtf?'.
Hi everyone! I love meeting new people, but really would prefer not to be joining this particular club. :) I'm 45; my husband, Lou, 49, never smoker, was just diagnosed with NSCLC after a biopsy yesterday. Surgeon suspects stage 3 but we are waiting on final results early next week and scans midweek for staging. I don't have to tell folks here - it's super crappy. We just got married a year ago after dating for 9; he is the best guy ever and all he wants to do is take care of me. His mom passed from liver cancer like 12 years ago (caught late, she went fast, chemo was horrible) so they all have really negative models for how this goes. Lou has known tons of people to die from cancers or treatments for them. I am in shock. Last month we were doing 35 mi bike rides and getting ready for running season. He developed this persistent cough about 6 weeks ago with no other symptoms, and finally went to the doc on July 6. They gave him allergy meds but told him to come back the next week if it wasn't better; he did and they took xrays on the 16th, ct scans on the 17th, and we were in a surgeon's office on the 20th scheduling a biopsy. That happened yesterday. We had been given hope that it was likely to be lymphoma or even a sarcoid, and actually didn't even expect to get results yesterday, so they rather knocked the wind out from under us. Compounding matters is that the bronchoscopy has made the cough worse, so he's feeling even crappier. And on top of that, we were given this pretty concerning news yesterday, with the (wonderful) thoracic surgeon saying she wanted scans stat, but left to wait through the weekend with little other news, and scans not scheduled until W and Th for the MRI and PET respectively. (I tried to get them moved earlier but to no avail....I am hoping that when we get official biopsy results Monday, we may be able to get the scans expedited a bit.) I am also going to ask if the physician is aware that they are scheduled so far out, given her implied urgency yesterday. It's a tough place to be, waiting through the weekend. I'm a college professor, so I'm also trying to figure out whether I should take a leave of absence in the fall; fortunately I only teach two classes, but one of them is scheduled to go abroad over thanksgiving. They also sent out bloodwork for the most common genetic mutations, so we hope to get that Mon or at the very latest Tues. We are hopeful on that front because he's half Japanese, so we know that given his age and heritage, a mutation is very probable. I am hanging many of my hopes on that right now, as well as on his overall good health. But he's so tired of coughing, and so tired period, and having GI issues (which may be in part due to stress but are leading to fatigue and weight loss) that I have to say it is very scary and I sometimes think I cannot wait another DAY to see an oncologist. At any rate, that's a lot of info. Looking forward to finding hope and community here. Thank you all for your presence!