I'll get this one started

Fay

My Mom (68 yrs) was diagnosed on Aug, 24, 2002 with NSCLC stage IIIA after bronchoscopy and mediastinoscopy. She started on Chemo (carboplatin and Taxol), once a week for six weeks, and concurrent radiation therapy five days a week for six weeks. Treatment ended Dec, 6, 2002. She had her repeat scans last week, and on Wed. we go for the reports. We are hoping to be one of the success stories that we love to read about on the board. Please send your prayers for positive news.

Hi Fay,

I'm 32 years old and I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Stage 4. I have been undergoing the exact same treament as your mom. My prayers are with you and your family....Please say one for me on Thursday as I have to go in for my first round of testing to see if we're making progress.

Smile and keep positive.....:):lol:

Cel -

I will mentally be holding your hand on Thursday and of course praying for good news from your tests!

I don't like this category "Late Stage" being seperate from the rest of NSCLC - there is ALWAYS hope - no matter WHAT stage you are at!

"Hope is the voice that God uses to speak to our hearts instead of our heads"

Take Care,

SandyS

Unfortunatly, I just found out from a Bone Scan that I have a hot spot on my left forearm and they are going to radiate the area - they say it will get rid of the problem as well as the pain. Anyone have any experience with this? After 6 rounds of Taxol and Carbo, it was disheartening to get this news but I kind of knew that something was not right with my arm - like, I could not use it :lol:

I really need some positive vibs and would welcome some input. After Chemo, this could be a "walk in the park" but I wanted to ask to see what you all had to say.

Thanks and bless you all!

Barbara

Barbara,

Radiation went well for my mom. It wasn't painful. Sometimes it tired her out a bit, nothing an afternoon nap wouldn't help though. She did have radiation esophagitis though, a side effect of the site they were radiating. And her skin looked a little burned at the site, but they gave her a cream to help the healing. She toughed it out though. Not sure what you can expect for radiation of the arm, hopefully someone out there has been through it and can answer. Good luck.

My mom, age 61, was diagnosed with lung cancer stage 3a in NOvember. She will be starting chemop and radiation in ealry February. Surgery is not an option for her her lungs are not in good shape, and the dr said it is too risky because she might not make it off the respirator. For the chemo and radiation she will be given, Etopside and Platinal. I am looking for any information on these two drugs as well as info on stage 3a lung cancer. Thank you for your help with this, for my family and I are very new to this! Thanks again!

Thanks for all of you getting this category started. My wife of 43 years was diagnosed with NSCLC, adenocarcinoma, Stage IV, in Oct. 2002. There is only a trace of the cancer in the top of her left lung, right lung is clear. But she has five bone mets: spine, rib, right tibia, left hip and skull. She has had radiation treatment for the spine, rib and tibia. And she has had two treatments, three weeks apart, of chemo (carboplatin and taxotere). The first went fine but the second one really put her down. She was in the hospital three times in December for infections. We went to the oncologist today and he said it would be at least two weeks before she would be healthy enough to start the chemo again, and he may use a different combination. Right now, we are trying to get her strength and good feeling back. Doctor said this kind of cancer usually gives a prognosis of 9 months, but that about 10% get to five years. We plan to be in the 10%. I am trying to keep her spirits up as well as take care of me. I'm glad I have understanding company here. Don

Don,

My first doctor told me 8 months to 2 years. Know what I did? I fired him and went and found someone who would give me hope. My next doctor told me he had no idea how long I'm going to live. He did tell me that he knows what he can do for me for treatment and as long as I do my part, he and I would know each other for a long time.

I'm 33 years old....I wasn't expecting this curve ball to be thrown at me. Am I scared? Yes. Am I a fighter? I have been all my life. Will I win? I do each day I wake up.

My feelings and prayers are with you and your wife and to everyone else who has to carry this burden.......but, there's strength in numbers. I truly feel there will be a cure someday, we just have to keep waking up everyday!!!!!

Cel

Hi Cel,

Boy, how good to hear from you on the board! I have tried calling you but have been unable to reach you, yet I understand why!! (grin)

I am SOOOO happy you found a positive, aggresive Onc Dr. God know's doom and gloom is NOT what we need when we are fighting to LIVE!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! You go GUY!!

Please know you WILL be in my thoughts and prayers as you go to the Doctor tomorrow. I am sending you good wishes and hoping you hear good news. Please keep us posted on your checkup. :)

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

111a changed to 3b after repeat ct scan showed tumor had grown after 2 rounds of carbo/taxol. 51 yr old nurse, never felt sick a day in my life. have just finished 16 mega doses rad[equal to 25]now to wait 6 wks for rpt ct scan. oncologist to see me feb 7 to discuss further chemo. no side effects from trt,, very lucky all my dr say i look so healthy, i really don't feel sick except for the occ tired day. husband has very hard time coping with all this val wood

Hi Cel,

It's great to hear that you are doing well. I loved your comment about being a winner each day that you wake up and that we all just have to continue waking up each day until solutions are found for us. :mrgreen:

Would you mind sending me the name of your doctor and where you are being treated? I presume it is somewhere in Seattle. I live in Yakima and have been trying to find a doctor who specializes in lung cancer treatment. I'm going to a general oncologist and like her a lot, but second opinions are sometimes in order. My e-mail address is littleboats@charter.net. Thanks for any help and take care.