Me too...can I whine a bit?

richinsdakota

Dang surgery/back pain just wont give me a break....thought I had finally got a med (oxycodone) that knocked it out, but it only lasted a few days...must be quickly developing a tolerance to the drug. Taking the max dose now, and still run out before next dose is due. Anyone else have this problem? Find a med that consistently works? Would appreciate knowing, so I can bug the doc. next week for something. Seeing the orthoped. guys about the lesion on spine, so good time to sort out options, I hope.

Also gets pretty depressing not being able to do the house/yard work that needs done, etc. Gonna have to beg the neighbors to do it for me...sheesh..hate that. Time to winterize soon, and I cant even carry the dang ladder...sigh.

Sorry, I know Im probly not as bad off as some....(I manage to smoke with no problem...sigh), it just gets depressing, this long term disability, I guess. I hate this time of year...cold, windy, dark early....yuk. I know yall cant fix it for me...just gotta shout out my frustration, I guess...ignore me, if ya cant stand my whinin...hehe...Rich B.

Rich,

I am sorry that you are suffering from so much pain... but please, whine away if it helps any. That's what we are here for!!

I can identify with the disabled feeling though and being unable to do the things that you need/want to. For the first time ever I had experienced this after my surgery and it was not pleasant, you never realize how much you do do until you are disabled in any way. I remember being on LOA after surgery and having all this time every day and being unable to even paint the kitchen cabinets that needed it so bad!!

I understand your frustration. Here's hoping that your doctor hits on the magic formula for you soon for that pain...

Rich,

I can SOOOOO relate to the frustration of having things to do and a body that will not cooperate! And if you're anything like most of us here I bet you HATE to ask others to do those kinds of things for you. Wish we were all neighbors...I bet 4 or 5 of us could tackle the ladder.

Hang in there...

Rich,

Go ahead and whine--we are the people who know how you feel!!!!! It's really frustrating to be laying on the couch thinking about the things you want to do and not being able to do them. That certainly isn't my normal lifestyle! But, you really need to get that pain under control==that is so tiring to be in that constant pain.

Have you been able to try the duragesic pain patch? My mother in law has severe back pain due to osteoporosis and that patch, combined with lortab, has helped her a lot.

I hope things get better for you soon--that pain has to get handled.

Cindy

rich,

What a bummer time you're having right now. As if the cancer isn't enough to deal with.... :cry:

Ask your doctor about the fentanyl duragesic pain patch. I think I sent you a pm about it. It does work, my doctor gives it to me for my arthritis in my neck and if it weren't for that patch I would literally be bedridden in constant severe pain. My neck pain is the worst pain I've ever had in my life without a doubt, literally like a hot fireplace poker being shoved under the bones in my neck. The patch has done wonders to give me a life.

Ask your doc, it might help and does come in 4 strengths. :)

Kathy

Sorry to hear of your frustrations Rich. My husband gets furious when he can't even find the strength to take out the garbage for me. I have a herniated disk and so there are things in this house that just don't get done unless someone young and strong comes along! I agree with Cindy, let the snow cover it up! Paddy

Hey Rich,

Whine all you want, we all do at one time or another; being incapacitated by pain is soooooooo depressing.

Kaffie's right about the Fentanyl patches....they work wonders for my husband who has severe DJD in his lower back--he had tried the Oxycontin, too, but they wore off too quickly.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Mary

Rich

We just got a good deal of rain here after nearly a month without it. I am sitting looking out my window, watching the grass grow!!! It literally seems to be growing so fast I can see it grow!

Leaves still green here, but I am thinking ahead to all those leaves! Which then makes me realize these windows are a little dirty....

I also noticed that there seems to be a tree growing out of my rain gutter, lol. As this is a rental, not sure when the last time those were flushed out.

And then..... and then......

I know exactly what you mean...But I don't know the answer, lol.

I just understand..

elaine

Hey Rich..

Will make this short and sweet. I have been in pain for the past few years with no relief. I have tried (with the help of pain management teams) everything under the sun. The other day, we were driving back from friends and the pain in my back was worse than usual. My husband suggested taking tylenols. I laughed and said something along the lines of *if morpine can't do it, why on earth would tylonols?* It worked. I now take 2 three times daily and I have no pain.

Meanwhile, I took from time to time some xanax for anxiety. At the very same time as this tylenol thing, my shrink suggested I take them regularly. Anxiety = one of the greatest pain stressors. It worked. Don't know which was the catalyst or if they worked in tandem, but I HAVE NO MORE PAIN!!!!!!!

Regards, Francine

God Bless Us All

Francine, I had a little bit of a laugh reading about you and the Tylenol. My 91 year old mother has some pain from arthritis, and had reactions to all the newer drugs on the market. She was about at wits end, and I kept telling her to try Advil or Ibuprofin. I finally bought her some when I was visiting her last fall, and lo & behold, it worked! I don't know if she was more shocked that it actually worked better than all the Rx's she'd paid for, or that her youngest daughter was actually right about something! :wink:

Anyway, I don't know about pain meds, but I DO know about whining! Go for it! Right after I was diagnosed, I found myself trying to stop the pity parties and whining episodes, and then decided to just let them come and I'd fall apart now and then if I needed to. It worked great! After having a few episodes, I got it out of my system, and went on about life. It's been a long time now since I've had one, but I don't try to stop them any more. Going out on the screened in back porch and screaming now and then works too. (Let the neighbors know what's going on first!)

Di

Thanx all for your kind understanding and the great suggestions...I never heard of a duragesic patch, but you can bet my doc will get asked about it tomorrow..hehehe....dunno why they are so slack about offering any solutions, they act like they dont have a clue what to offer...(maybe the case..?) But now I know such things are available..so watchout doc!

The neurospine guy did say that the back pain was likely aggravated/irritated by the surgery...chopping out of that rib, which just happens to attach to that vertebrae. But again, didnt offer much except an apppt with pain management spec. off in the distance..sigh. Anyway, I get to do another MRI/spine tomorrow...seems the view wasnt to his liking on the first one. He so far doesnt see anything to indicate any cancerous bone destruction, tho..so hopefully may be just arthritis related.

K..thanx again for the info and the kind shoulder to whine on...hehehe...Rich B.