Looking for support

Guest itascaval

Guest itascaval

Hi all,

My stepdad was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer a few weeks ago. Unfortunately for my family, this is our second go around. We lost my father to lung cancer 22 years ago. Step dad was admitted to hospital last night with an infection in his lung. Am leaving shortly to go see him.

Just looking for some support, thoughts and prayers and this seems to be the right place!

Welcome! Sorry you had to find us, but you've come to the right place for support and encouragement!

My Mom has SCLC and we are fighting our way through it - one day at a time. Have hope - it will sustain you and get you through the tough days ahead.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Kel

Guest itascaval

Thanks for your replys already! I am so glad I found you all! Just got home from the hospital and Bill, my step dad is starting chemo tonight and radiation tomorrow. He has an aggressive form of sclc. (I dont know all of the right verbage, but that is the gist of it) He has pneumonia right now as well.

He feels bad that my mom is having to go through the same cancer again with a second husband. They have been married for 19 years, anniversary was yesterday! Bill has been with us longer than my dad and this just sucks! (sorry....no better way to say it!)

My mom is strong and I am too. We will remain positive and Bill is ready to fight this thing!

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers...i will do the same for you. It's nice to know you are all here!

Guest itascaval

Just an update....Bill is doing well and started on chemo on tuesday and radiation on Wednesday. He is breathing ok on his own and may be able to go home tomorrow and continue treatment as an outpatient.

Today is a good day!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!

val

Welcome Val,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Stepdad has LC. My Mom was diagnosed with small cell LC in Oct 2003 and is doing well. I will say prayers for your stepdad that he gets the best possible care and all goes well for his treatments.

Hang in there.

laurie

wow, my heart hurt when I read your post because its so close to me. I lost my biological father when I was very young. He was killed in a work related accident.

My mom met and married a wonderful man who legally was our stepfather but was our father to us. He was the only father I knew and loved.

In January of 2003. My mom lost her voice....long story short she had LC and died 6 months and 1 week later in August of 2003. three months later my father got pneumonia and we took him to the hospital. We asked specificially "is it LC because we just went through this" they said "NO WAY" they look totally different on an X-Ray. well 3 days later another dr. calls and says "yep its LC" so we geared up for round 2 since dad had SCLC and moms was NSCLC. also moms was found at stage 4 and dads was limited at dx.

well fast forward again 6 months and 1 day in June of this year.. Dad is gone.

*BOOM* day of dads funeral, phone rings, sister has Breast cancer, I thought, ok, show me to the nearest bridge. well were 4 months into sisters dx and she just had her 4th surgery tuesday for mastectomy and she is only 38. We don't know yet if they got it all.

my point....you will find a way, no matter how rough, through this. Its awful and ugly and painful, but somehow you squeak through it.

Guest itascaval

Bill is going home from the hospital today and seems to be his old self, feeling good again! We'll take these days when we can get them.

Shelly--I am so sorry for your losses too. My heart SANK when I learned Bill had lung cancer. NOT AGAIN was all I thought. Bill lost his voice too--that's how this whole mess started.

I am finding my way through this again.....The difficult days were before treatment started. All I could focus on was the big picture and that was overhwhelming to me. At least with treatment started, I can focus on that and take a day by day approach. That has helped me a ton this week, and so has this site! always great to know you arent alone!

Thanks everyone!

I will keep everyone here in my thoughts and prayers.

Val,

As difficult as this is for you, I am sure that you are on the right track. Keeping the focus on the day at hand is a big help and a great attitude. After all, that is our gift. Everyone of us. Today.

I am sure that you are a big help and comfort for your mom and for Bill. Come here often for whatever you need. I am sure that there will be someone here who can help to lighten your burden.

I admire your willingness to stand behind your family and jump in and do what is necessary. You are a courageous woman.

Cindi o'h

Guest itascaval

Thanks for all of your positive thoughts/ prayers. Bill has been back home since Friday and doing well. His goofy sense of humor is back :).

That's a good sign! He is having radiation 5 days a week and seems to be doing well with that.

Thanks again for your support!!

Guest itascaval

Bill is in the hospital again. He is dehydrated again today, after being treated for it yesterday. Also has sores in his mouth and esophogus (spelling?) from the chemo.

I forgot what a lousy roller coaster this can be. (And I was only 14 when my dad was sick so I was not real aware of all that was going on).

I think he will be ok.....just feeling lousy and needed to vent a bit!!