general question pertaining to lung cancer cells

kimblanchard

Hi,

My husband recently found out that he has mets to his liver and bones. He has non-small LC with adeno and squamous cells. I realize that this cancer is hard to treat and I was wondering what kind of cancer cells are most likely in his liver and bones. Are they lung cancer type cancer cells? Does he have bone cancer in his bones or is it lung cancer that has spread to his bones? This may be a dumb question but I am ignorant in this area. If he has adeno and squamous in his bones, that would logically be much harder to treat than 'bone cancer'. I'm just curious about this (or maybe my mind is just wondering to worst case scenarios)...does anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

Christina

I am relatively new at this, but I think I can answer some of your questions, which by the way, none are ignorant. If doc told you he has mets to bones and liver that means its the lung cancer cells that are there not separate bone and liver cancers. My father has adenosquamous but I havent heard that its any harder to treat than any other nsclc. Its just a combination of adenocarcinoma and squamous.

Guest DaveG

When I was restaged to Stage IV, non small cell lung cancer (adenocarcinoma), with systemic mets to my lymphatic system, I asked my oncologist what determines whather it is mets ar a new cancer. The answer is, the type of cancer in the new location. If that type matches the original lung cancer, than it is lung cancer metastises to the bone, liver, etc. It is wll based upon the original cancer.

The same would be for a woman with breast cancer that has spread to the lungs. The cancer in the lungs is not lung cancer, but is breast cancer with metastises to the lungs. Lance Armstrong had testicular cancer with mets to the brain and lungs.

The treatment given is for the original cancer, such as my case, I am being treated for Stage IV lung cancer.

I hope I have made this somewhat "clearer then mud" for you. It is hard to understand. As my oncologist said, it is a rare case where a new cancer develops, when there has already been a cancer in place. The secondary cancer is usually a spread from the primary cancer.

Thanks Dave and Linda,

Although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, I do understand now. I am just very scared and concerned that his NSCLC might not respond to the chemo because I understand that the response rate is very low for this type of cancer. When we found out about the mets, part of me was hoping that they would be easier to treat. Either way, now I know what we are dealing with. Thanks for the info! :)

Christina

Oh Christina, please dont be discouraged. They will treat the mets. There are lots of people on the board with mets. They can answer better how it is treated. I would hate to think anything I said made you feel worse!!!!! :(

(((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))))

Guest DaveG

My chemo treatments are resulting in as much as 50% resolution of the tumors. My oncologist, my wife, and myself, are, needless to say, elated over the results. Don't ever underestimate the benefits of chemo, or any treatment for that matter. A friend of mine was given little optimism, if any at all, and she is now in remission.

I look forward to the next scan in 6 weeks and hopefully we will see even more resolution of the tumors.

Attitude is the key.