For All You Chocoholics....I'm One Too

Ann

YOUR AGE BY CHOCOLATE MATH...

This is pretty neat. DON'T CHEAT BY LOOKING AT THE END FIRST! It takes less than a minute....... Work this out as you read. Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!

1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to have chocolate. (more than once but less than 10)

2. Multiply this number by 2 (Just to be bold)

3. Add 5. (for Sunday)

4. Multiply it by 50 I'll wait while you get the calculator................

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1754....If you haven't, add 1753

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born. You should have a three digit number. The first digit of this was your original number (i.e., how many times you want to have chocolate each week).The next two numbers are .

YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!)

THIS IS THE ONLY YEAR (2004) IT WILL EVER WORK, SO SPREAD IT AROUND

WHILE IT LASTS.

But this only works if you are under 100 years old. For those of us who remember Teddy Roosevelt, it doesn't work anymore.

In 2005, the whole thing will be the same except we will add 1755 at the end (1754 if we haven't reached our birthday.) So it really isn't that big of a deal.

Since we had one of these already today, here is why it works:

You take your number and first multiply it by 2 and then multiply it by 50. (Hang on for a second about the adding 5). That is the same as multiplying by 100, which moves your answer to the chocolate question into the 100's place. So 1 becomes 100, 9 becomes 900, whatever.

Now that 5 you added also gets multiplied by the 50, which becomes 250. And 250 + 1754 - that crazy number - is 2004, this year. So when you subtract the year of your birth from this year, you get your age. And since most of us aren't 100 yet, it is a nice little two digit number.

So we have created two numbers, one a multiple of 100 and the other two digits, so none of the digits will change. And hence the magic.

Now I feel like a party pooper, but oh well. Twice in one day is more than I can handle.

Curtis

Basically the process creates two numbers:

First, say you are like me, and you don't like chocolate much, unless it is chocolate pudding stuffed into strawberries being shared ever so messily with a date. But that I enjoy everyday - if only I had the opportunity - so we will call my number 7. I am going to multiply by 2 and then again by 50, and that gets me 700.

So now take the 50. We multiply it by 5, and we get 250, and then we add 1754, which gives us 2004, which is this year. So as we have done all of this, our answer will be 2104 if we picked 1, 2204 if we picked two times for chocolate, and so on. I picked seven times and am still thinking about strawberries, and so my total is 2704.

When I subtract the year of my birth 1972 from 2004 it gives me my age since I have already had my birthday - I am a Leo, which is surprising because lions do not like strawberries, at least as far as I know, but I am drifting again. But the number wasn't 2004, it was 2704 because I had added in all of those strawberries earlier. But the difference is just that same 700.

So when I subtract the year of my birth, I get the 700 that was added in there with my age, 32, and an answer of 732.

And now I am going looking for strawberries and a date.

Curtis

Curtis

Oh that crazy math stuff--if you have one problem, every time you work it you get the SAME dang answer! And if your buddy works it, HE gets the same answer (unless he's math challenged!)

I like REAL problems--say literature, philosophy or art etc. If you have one problem, every time you work it through your mind, you might come up with a DIFFERENT answer. If my friends takes the same "problem"--no way will he or she come up with MY answer, unless I can do a little convincing but even then, during my convincing I will think of something that will change my initial argument.

Takes all kinds to make this world go around, ain't that grand?!

elaine