$30 Per IV Set

Bill

This doesn't apply to my wife's insurance but today in the chemo room at the med onc's office a woman with private health insurance ( I don't know which co. or type ~ HMO, etc. ) was complaining to her OCN that her insurance company was ( or started ) charging her $30 per IV set for chemo tx. Not familiar with this. Anybody else getting charged for IV equipment and such things related to chemo ?

Bill,

I didn't do chemo, so I can't answer the direct question of chemo IV sets... BUT, I get charged a portion of all my labwork and procedures, normally listed as "incidentals" on the bill from the hospital and/or lab. Also, the radiation department I went to was affiliated with the hospital, but not "part" of the hospital. I was billed a USAGE FEE! I believe it was $50/session - this to merely use their facility (as if they'd bring the machine to my house to save me that $50!)...

Like I stated, not sure on the chemo costs, didn't play that particular game...

Becky

Bill,

I didn't do chemo, so I can't answer the direct question of chemo IV sets... BUT, I get charged a portion of all my labwork and procedures, normally listed as "incidentals" on the bill from the hospital and/or lab. Also, the radiation department I went to was affiliated with the hospital, but not "part" of the hospital. I was billed a USAGE FEE! I believe it was $50/session - this to merely use their facility (as if they'd bring the machine to my house to save me that $50!)...

Like I stated, not sure on the chemo costs, didn't play that particular game...

Becky

//////////////////

Yes. These co-pay and " incidental " charges can add up. The woman that I speak of was very upset about the $30 IV set charge. I'm sure that she is on a fixed income and that unexpected charge hurts. Three IV bags and there goes $90 ! We learned early on to carefully follow " inpatient " procedures for outpatient services. Before we learned the ropes my wife had a chest x-ray that wasn't handled correctly. Therefore, it wasn't covered and we got dinged for over $300 for the x-ray and reading.