Need prayers for a nephew

TeeTaa

Needin' a few prayers -

Our 14-year-old nephew Caleb (not TBone's son - this one belongs to our other brother, Guy) had an accident ten days ago. He was out on a farm shooting a BB gun, and one of the BB's ricocheted off a pole back into his eye. He underwent surgery that day, then came up to Atlanta for further evaluation last week. Unfortunately, the outlook for his regaining any eyesight whatsoever in that eye is pretty much nil. He is undergoing further surgery tomorrow morning up here at Emory Hospital . . . the doctor was quite clear in explaining that her goal is not to save his eyesight, as that's not a possibility, but instead her goal is to simply save his eye, so that it doesn't "die" itself. This is one of the greatest kids you could ever know, and if there's anyone who can overcome such a disability, it's him. As evidence of this - he was glad he had this weekend "free," cause deer season was opening up and he wanted to go hunting. First thing yesterday morning, HE GOT A DEER - shooting left eyed and left-handed for the first time, no less! Think he can adapt to being one-eyed?!?! :lol: He's a great athlete and hunter, so this will undoubtedly be tough to deal with, but as we all realize, it certainly could have been a lot worse. At least it's only a BB lodged in his head, and at least it stopped at the back of his eye.

So please offer up a little prayer for Caleb's surgery tomorrow. I know it works, cause when I asked for prayers for my FIL and his rare skin cancer, things went well. All those nodes they removed from his neck area came back NED, and he's doing very well handling his chemo treatments.

Thanks to you all for being there as even more extended family.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Prayers on the way, TeeTaa What a great kid! He'll obviously do well whatever the result, but we all want the best for him.

I have a 23-year old niece that deer hunts with her dad, in Maryland. She has shot a deer every year since she was 11! So I know how much they love that hunting! However, I suspect that with my niece it's more of a bonding thing with her dad. Always good too.

Caleb has already demonstrated a huge degree of adaptation -- way to go, Caleb!

And I agree with Nancy. All the kids in your extended family are beautiful!

Oh, TeeTaa, Caleb sounds (and looks!) like a great kid, and I'm so sorry to hear he's had this accident. Thanks for letting us know. He sounds like he has a great attitude and will overcome this, but I know it won't be easy for him. And it sounds so painful! I will indeed be praying that the surgery is successful at saving his eye.

BeckyCW

Thanks to all of you for the prayers and words of encouragement. Caleb's surgery went well yesterday . . . there was extensive damage, and they ended up having to remove his lens and a good part of his retina, and put in a silicone "buckle" to help keep the retina that was left attached. The next few weeks and months will be critical with regard to whether the remaining retina does stay attached (which apparently has a lot to do with the future of the eye), so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Yesterday was rough for him - the anesthesia took its toll, so he spent most of the afternoon/evening on my sofa with a trash can close by. He had to spend the first 24 hours face down because they put some oil in as part of the treatment, so he wasn't exactly comfortable even when the pain finally subsided. He had to go back to the surgeon for a check-up this morning, and she said things were looking good. Caleb was disappointed that he has to stay out of school the rest of the week . . . made us think he was worried about the schoolwork, but something tells me the social aspect was really his concern!

He's such a great kid and "cuzzin" - when we got him home yesterday, he wanted to know where my girls were, so I called the neighbor to send them home to see him. When they came in, he made a point of assuring them he was okay and asking them for hugs, which they readily (but ackwardly, due to his position!) gave him. Don't know many 14-year-old's who'd have done that!

Thanks again - and I'll keep y'all posted.

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa