Starting PCI Today

Nancy B

Nothing lit up on my PET scan. Alot of big sighs of relief around here. I was fitted for my mask yesterday. A 45 minute experience and I am slightly claustrophobic. I will have my first treatment today. My radiation oncologist is giving me 17 treatments instead of 15 (she said she had a failure at 15).

Another interesting thing she said--we were talking about side effects of PCI and short term memory loss is one, but she said that there has been research done that indicates that sclc tumors can cause this short term memory loss even before treatment begins (something in the tumor causes it). Has anybody heard of this? I would sure like to do some research on it.

Anyway, would love some prayers - I am alittle nervous about the PCI. Will report back and let you know how things go.

Love you guys,

Nancy B

Hey Nancy,

Oh Nancy, you'll do just fine (honeybun)! :D I have two of my Support Group members that did PCI and they are 1. Long term survivors, and 2. doing just wonderful after there PCI. They recommend it highly. :wink::) We even just talked about that last night at group.

I'll still keep you in my prayers.

(((((((((((((NANCY)))))))))))))))

Nancy,

My neuropsychologist said "Cancer" (not specific type) can cause short-term memory loss. Seems it's like a mini toxic waste dump in your body just spewing joy and happiness.... :shock:

His thought was that with therapy (SPEECH therapy, can you believe it?) it IS reversible...if my psych. team ever gets the ball rolling, I'll share what the game plan is for me...my head still doesn't work right...

I wish you well and hope 17 is your new lucky number!

xxoo,

Becky

Hi Nancy,

My Mom had short term memory loss for two years before she was diagnosed with SCLC. They did all kinds of tests on her brain to try to find out what was causing it and never could find anything! I think it was the cancer in her system all that time causing it. The doctors told me that cancer live in your system for years before showing up in the form of tumors. Good luck with your PCI. God Bless..

Lyn

Nancy,

Wishing you well on your pci treatments. I brought my mask home, maybe I'll think of something to do with it for halloween. I'm not sure what the difference is in pci treatments and the wbr treatments that I just finished, but I hope you breeze through it. I am really feeling the effects this week, as opposed to when I was actually getting the treatments!??

Short term memory loss was a slight issue before I was diagnosed w/brain mets, I think it was from the chemo, probably the cancer too, but definately I think chemo has some causes to it too.

Good luck with everything....

TAnn

Nancy, I did not notice much shot term memory loss after my PCI of course I had a degree of that before my PCI. You will do just fine. When they strap that mask (and you head) to the bed just close your eyes and say a prayer and then sing a song in your head. When I got my PCI it was a very quick zap. I just finished my 30 rounds of radiation to the tumor in my sinus bone last Wed. and they zapped my from about 8 different angles so my head was strapped down for approx. 5 minutes. . I had a 2nd mask made fo this round so now I have 2 masks here at home. No need to be nervous, thank God you can have PCI, it means you are doing GREAT!! If you wee not you would not even have the option of PCI. Hang in there.

David C.

Dear Nancy,

I have absolutely no expertise whatsoever with PCI or short memory loss (other than the kind we all struggle with...now what was I saying?), but it sounds reasonable that the cancer is the culprit and that you can work on it. I just hope that 17 turns out to be your lucky number, that you weather it all well and that you zonk the whatsit out of the dumb cancer. Keep us posted!

Ellen

I'm right behind you, Nancy. I start PCI in less than two weeks. I figure by a certain age, we're supposed to lose a few marbles. :wink: Nobody specified exactly HOW we accomplish it though! :roll:

You'll do fine...and so will I! I really like Doc Joe's comments about PCI in reply to daggiesmom's questions....so am putting any worries out of my mind and proceeding towards PCI with confidence.

Like I said, I'll be right behind you....and you and me will tape big red bows on our heads at Christmas, right? I think SDianeB might be joining us in our Red Bow Society! Hairless....but festive....that'll be us! :wink::D

I'll be thinking of you...and we can send each other positive thoughts, but I don't think it's going to be bad at all. Heck...I worried over radiation the first time...and it wasn't so bad.

Will look forward to your report...and expect you'll be saying it's not so bad, too! :wink:

Nancy,

Nothing to be nervous about. I had WBR as the mets showed up before I could do PCI the little buggers! It doesn't hurt. Just try to relax. If your uncomfotable ask for a mild sedation. Usually doesn't take long either. My side effects showed up later. Fatigue, nausea (light) some dizziness and of course the memory loss. I've learned to write everything down most of the time. You'll do great!

Rachel

(Frank - you are SO bad!!! :roll: )

Nancy -- I'm hopeful this will go smoothly for you. I'm convinced of the benefits vs. risks with this procedure, so am ready to go with it myself if it's recommended. I should find out in a week or so, so maybe I'll be forgetting things right along with you and the others! :P

Di

Thanks for all your words of encouragment and prayers. I just had treatment #6 this morning. Side effects so far are loss of appetite which is ok as I need to lose a few pounds anyway, and a dull headache. Kinda tired too.

I told them I was seeing flashing lights during the treatment - they said there are no flashing lights in the room - it is my brain reacting to the radiation and making me think I see lights (purple and blue). Wierd! This is normal also. They did say that if I start seeing little people 12 inches tall that this is not normal and to let them know. They are funny guys.

I have to go Friday morning to have another skin cancer removed from my nose. Hopefully it is small enough and won't take all day. I go straight from there to radiation. I am hoping my nose will still be numb when they clamp that mask down over it.

I am taking the day off today as I am just feeling "done in" Thanks again for all your prayers - I am convined that is what is getting me through this.

Love you all,

Nancy B