Biopsy Report is in

Fay A.

The doctor called a little while ago (Bless his heart for not making me wait a moment longer than necessary.). The lesions in my stomach, etc. are not malignant. I may need to have part of my liver removed, but this isn't a new cancer, nor a met from the lung, and for now that is good enough.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, Fay, I guess this sounds like good news. I know that no cancer is always good news, but there are other things that can be just as serious. I'm not too excited to hear that you have to have part of your liver removed. Can you tell us why that has to be done?

I guess my opening paragraph was a bit of a downer, but I'm not sure from your original post how you are actually feeling about this. Of course, I know you're glad there's no cancer, but how are you feeling about the rest of it?

I've been around enough, that I'm sure you know that you always have my love, support, encouragement, hurrahs, and atta girls, and you've got them now as well, oh, and of course, my prayers!

Love,

Peggy

WOW Fay....what good news... of course it sucks that you may have to have surgery on your liver..but I am so glad that the stomach lesions are benign.

Thank your doctor for not keeping us sitting here all crossed up any longer......it is rather uncomfortable if I must say. :shock: And thank you for letting US know as soon as YOU knew. And thank the acadamy and thank the chickens and thank everyone else.....

Keep kicking *ss Fay....

Dear Fay,

Glad things turned out benign. Sorry to hear you will need some of your liver removed.

God Bless You,

Jane

PS this post was edited because due to me being too tired I used a wrong word and was blessed that I was told about it. I am so sorry Fay!!

God Bless You,

Jane

Fay,

I was so glad to see your post. Have been waiting and hoping the other shoe didn't drop. Of course it is great news that this is not cancer. However, with your other problems are they worried about the liver surgery? I truly hope things go well for you. Keeping you in my prayers. I still have my fingers, toes and arms and legs crossed...so the sooner we know how you do the faster I can uncross everything and get some sleep.

:lol:

Nina

Hey Fay,

Good news, hip hip hooray.

Isn't the liver polycystic? If you have surgery will this fix your liver function?

Fay, you have way too many medical problems and these doctors just have to make them go away. We are all routing for you. I think Debi may be preparing poultry for you.

Thanks, Folks. I do have polycystic liver problems. Having surgery will not make this go away. There are literally hundreds of cysts in the Liver. The problem is there are quite a few that are very large (4 to 6 cm), and by removing part of the liver it will allow more room in the upper abdomen, which will help to alleviate some of the pain. There may be other options (RFA on the largest liver cysts), but I have to wait for a referral to Cedar's in LA before I know for certain what is available. So much of the last few years has been taken up with dealing with the cancer recurrences that the other health problems have been put on the back burner. I don't think anyone ever expected me to live long enough for the Crohn's or the Polycystic Liver and Kidney Disease or any of the other things to become so serious as to require intervention. Or maybe they just thought because I do have recurrent Lung Cancer it wasn't worth the effort to deal with the other problems. I don't know. All I do know is that the pain levels have become more than I can tolerate without help. The good news is that there are options to treat the above problems. One of the things that I will be looking into is the use of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitors (Tarceva/Iressa) to treat the PKD and PLD. (The genetic defects that cause PKD are on the same Chromosomes where the defective DNA for Lung Cancer have recently been located)

I start new drugs today to try to get a handle on the pain. And maybe when these other issues are resolved the tummy trouble will ease. I'm ready for a break.

And for those of us who have the cancer, if you get a sinus infection have it treated ASAP. Mine went into my lung, and I'm now on my second course of antibiotics to try to clear the resulting bronchitis. I broke ribs coughing so hard.

There is unequivocal (for me, anyway) good news, though. When I was first diagnosed I made a list of things I wanted to do during my lifetime. Turning 50 was on there (along with turning 60, 70, 80, etc.). I did so this past week. Seeing the Red Sox whomp the Yankees was on there. Seeing them in the World Serious (For diehard baseball fans, the World Series is serious) and winning is on the list.

It's a good thing that I keep finding new goals to add to the list, because this month I'm checking off a lot of things.

Life is good....

Dear Fay, I am sorry to hear about your liver problems---but on the other hand you do have options and it is not cancer---, so all in all I think it is very good news---(except the part about the Boston Red Sox beating the Yankees :cry::cry: )

best wishes

Who really likes liver, anyway?

SO GLAD to hear it isn't cancer and that there is a plan being formulated to help you out. Broken ribs and pain are not a good thing, but no cancer is and I raise my pint of Ben & Jerry's to you!

Take care and keep kickin'!

Becky

Keep adding things to that list, Fay....and count me among the folks that are cheering you on! :D

I too, am glad there are no new mets...and just hope you can find something to work for the pain and a plan to deal with your other issues....so that you can sit, painfree, and keep adding to that list of things to see and do!

Happy 50th, by the way. Hope it's as much an epiphany for you as it was for me! After 50, I got to know my Inner *itch...and it turns out....I LIKE HER! :wink: She comes in handy once in a while...when someone needs to be put in their place! 8)

Hey Fay,

Happy Birthday, and your 50th at that! I am a fellow October girl, and just turned 49 on the 10th. Can't wait till that 50th gets here--never thought I'd be saying that, but as you know, attitudes change!

Never thought I'd be telling someone that it's good news about having surgery on your liver, but thank God it's not cancer! I'm happy for your results--in our strange world, this is good news. I'm all for--ANYTHING BUT CANCER!

Now, about this World Series thing--I am a life-long Yankees fan, grrrrrr.........

Take care and I'm so happy for you!

Cindy

First of all, Fay, happy birthday. Happy Belated Birthday!

My Mom, you know, recently had surgery on her liver to remove the colon cancer met there. The recovery from the surgery wasn't so bad because it was done laproscopically, but she had pain afterwards from her liver that she didn't expect. I'm sure I'm telling you stuff you already know since you have chronic problems with your liver. When she had the post op appt. with the surgeon he said that yes, it was pain from the liver - the liver heals quickly and regenerates itself but also can get pain from it. She said it felt like the healing liver would stick to her backbone and he said it probably was. Very strange. but she got over the whole thing within a month I'd say.

I'm sorry you have to go through this but I'm glad you're living long enough to make your other non-cancer chronic illnesses demand some serious attention - that is really saying something! I think you will live to see lots of your other goals, like turning 60, 70 or 80 - because you have the spirit and the will to.

Thanks for the update, again, I've been wondering what's going on with you.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Fay -- that giant sucking sound they are hearing in Alabama right about now was caused by my HUGE sign of relief when I read your post. I guess it's inevitable that many of us will just get a dose of not-so-good news along with the good, but as long as there continues to be good stuff going on, we'll take it, huh!

Here's hoping you feel better as they begin to help your other medical problems.

Di