Introduction

Alisa

Hello all. I just found out about this group, although I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago. The following is a brief history of my condition and treatment. I belong to another group, where I usually just lurk.

I was Stage 2b due to size of tumor(7), non-small cell adenocarcinoma (I think undifferentiated) in my right middle lobe and 2 nodes involved, but within the same middle lobe. I was 43 yrs. old when diagnosed. I had the middle lobe removed. At that point, my thoracic surgeon felt he got it all, but both he and the oncologist at the hospital (Columbia Presbyterian in NYC) felt I should have follow-up chemo to help prevent a recurrence. I had six treatments of carboplatin and taxol, which I tolerated well. I was getting scanned every 4 months for the first 2 years and now every 6 months, alternating between ct scan of chest, pelvix, abdoment/brain mri/bone scan and PET scan.

As for complementary therapy: custom blend chinese herbal tea (nasty tasting) containing many things like ganoderma, astragalus, polyphenols, mushroom, licorace root, ginseng, co-10, and other traditional chinese herbs which I don't have the translations for; traditional vitamins (A,C,D,E,Selenium,Zinc); green tea capsules; Mega Soy; modified citris pectin; IP6; tumeric (curcumin); celebrex; worm wood; Thisilyn.

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially where complementary/alternative medicine is concerned. Thanks.

Welcome . :You could have posted under GOOD NEWS . We love hearing journeys such as yours. Thanks for sharing. :D I hope you will continue to visit with us. Donna

Guest Estrea

You are not far behind me...I am 4 and 1/2 years out! Welcome to the group. You will find that this forum is unfortunately the least populated. There are so few of us and it is evident from the little bit of traffic here. We would like to change that. What is the other group you are involved with?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, OK, I'll post here in this forum Estrea. I was not told 26 years ago what stage my cancer was, but after reading all the posts, and doing a bit of research on staging and cancer types, I suppose I was Early Stage NSCLC. I remember the surgeon mentioning carcinoma, and he said the tumor was a 3 cm carcinoid polyp. Does this sound right?

Am I allowed to post in this forum? Oh. welcome Alisa. You will LOVE this message board!

David P.

• 3 months later...

Hi All:

My name is Mike and I have recently been diagnosed with Stage 1B NSCLC in the top right lung lobe. I going to the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL and am getting wonderful care. I just started in a trial for chemo 4x's then surgery to remove lobe. I'm told the cure rate is 90-95 percent, but only God knows what in the plan. I am blessed and thankful for the early detection at the VA Med Center in Tampa. I hope all the other new detected have had the tremendous support I've gotten at Moffitt and from my family.

God Bless All:

Mike, Tampa

Hello Alisa;

Welcome and so very glad you found us. I'm also a stageIIB, dx.'ed in April of 2001 with squamous type. I came down with pneumonia in late Feb. which led to the discovery of the cancer. So very glad I came down with that now. :shock:

Also had nodes involved but just one. My follow up has been ct scans, x-rays and bloodwork every 3 to 4 months for 2 years and now every 6 months. I had the left lung removed on 5/2/01. I tolerated the surgery pretty well :o and had no follow up chemo or radiation. .

I'm not really into alot of the alternative med.'s but I do watch my health pretty close and I do love my herbal tea. :) I also do have residual pain, it's actually worse the second year and I take Vioxx for it ( similar to Celebrex ).

I am pretty active though and enjoy travel, golf and photography as well as talking to other survivors.

Anyway, welcome again.

God Bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Thank you all for your warm welcomes. I am also posting to the late stage nslc, cause 2 weeks ago I found out I was stage 3a all along. I never thought to ask my onc, I just assumed I was 2b. But in a casual conversation I found out that I had been 3a, cause one of the nodes removed was attached to my chest wall.

Anyway, supposedly I'm still cancer-free, but I'm not sure. My latest PET/CT scan showed a 5mm node, but I was told it was scar tissue from my surgery. After reading mistakes that happened to others, I'm concerned it may be a false negative. I have no choice but to wait for my next scan, which is in 4 more months.

Take care.

Hi All:

My name is Mike and I have recently been diagnosed with Stage 1B NSCLC in the top right lung lobe. I going to the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL and am getting wonderful care. I just started in a trial for chemo 4x's then surgery to remove lobe. I'm told the cure rate is 90-95 percent, but only God knows what in the plan. I am blessed and thankful for the early detection at the VA Med Center in Tampa. I hope all the other new detected have had the tremendous support I've gotten at Moffitt and from my family.

God Bless All:

Mike, Tampa

Welcome Alisa, and Welcome Mike,

I am sorry that you have an occassion to be here, but glad that you found us.

This board is a warm and welcoming place amidst a world of frightening statistics and cold possibilities. There are so many here that provide knowledge based on true experience, there is hope here from so many survivors. There is family and love and prayer.

We are here for you when you need to celebrate, vent and cry, and when you need some guidance and support.

I am always so saddened when I see new members, not because I don't want people to join us, but I wish this horrible disease didn't touch so many lives.

The most important thing in fighting this beast is hope. And that is something I am grateful you both have joined us. I think you both offer stories of hope and survivorship. To be three years from diagnosis and still cancer free is amazing and inspiring. And Mike, your positive experiences with your doctors and diagnosis will alleviate the fears of those just facing this diagnosis and have yet to go through it. With a 90-95% curability rate, I am sure you will be one of our long term survivor offering hope and support to so many.

Welcome

God Bless

Carleen

I go back and forth between early and late stage postings...my dx is/was IIIa (listed under "late" here) and I asked my oncologist if he would consider me late stage or what, since a III of any kind can't really be considered early... He said I was basically smack dab in the middle.... Small tumor, three positive nodes (one being half the "med" pair).

Only eight months out, not bragging and tempting fate, just "keeping score"....

Hang in there, we're all in the darn boat together...

Julie McCoy,

Perky Cruise Director.... :lol: