update on my dad

Karma1976

He had his chemo on friday 6 hours. The meds were Carvoplatin and Taxol. If anyone wants to give some input on those type.

He was hospitalized on Saturday night, just got back from visiting him again. (in this horrible snow too) His fever went up and he had a coughing attack so he went in. They are giving him morphin last night they think he popped another bone in his rib, he moved and he heard a pop and had pain. PLus he has pnemonia so i htink they will keep him for a few days I am assuming?? They did a bone scan this morning but waiting on the results of that.

He ate when i was there but they changed his order poor thing (i know they have to) but he ordered a hot dog and he got a tortilla with hummus, now my dad i do not even think knows what hummus is. you should have seen his face. Plus a tortilla??? we are luck this man aknowledges what pita bread is. he like his bulkie rolls, his italian bread, or hot dog buns for his lobster rolls or a hot dog. so needless to say he avoided that new experience for him. I tried to tell him it was good and he didn't want to try something new today.

He seemed ok little coughy and stuff, they wanted the spit sample...i forget the name but they wanted him to do that.

He seems ok, i am goign to stay over there house tonight to keep my mom company.

It is normal though that people get hospitalized aftre chemo correct, i thought i read a few of you who's fmaily members or yourselves experienced that.

Well hope this snow stops. Hope everyone is having a great holiday if off! :D

Hey Karma Spidy,

You are a good kid. I don't know about the chemo, we haven't had

to do that yet,(hopefully never). But be there for your mother, she needs you now. Probably does not want to be alone.

I know when my husband is in the hospital, I hate coming home to an empty house.

awe thank you that is sweet! Yeah i agree coming home to an empty house is hard. Last night she went right to bed so that was good. she was up from 11:30 saturday night until 4:30 yesterday afternoon. No sleep!

We are going to cook some shrimp scampi, watch tv, make popcorn and have some wine (cause god knows she needs some right about now) :shock:

She is going to take me to the T tomorrow and head in town with me so she can go visit my dad at mass general. He lucked out though i must say, somehow he ended up in a nice private room usually reserved for the more wealthy individual so that is a nice surprise. view of the charles opposed to the brick building next door which is nice.

Hi Karma,

My name is Laurie and my Mom has SCLC and had a collapsed lung. I am originally from New Hampshire, and I attended Berklee College of Music In Boston. I can just picture you and your family, I wish I was there to give you a ((((Hug))))) as I know what you are going through.

I'm praying for you and your parents. I hope that he comes home soon .. sending you warm wishes!!!!!!!!

Laurie :D

Hi Karma,

My Mom lives near Portsmouth NH. I love North Conway and the white Mountains. I love to hike up there by Franconia Notch. Now I'm Living in San Diego.

I went to Berklee to study Jazz Performance I play the flute and saxophone. Now I'm in finance/Stock Market stuff. Thanks for asking :D Are you in school?. I wish I had a cool dancing superhero on my screen!! I'm going to put my Moms picture up there as soon as i fiqure it out.

Have fun with your Mom tonight.. I could use a glass of wine myself these days.. I'm not sleeping that well. My Mom and Dad are coming out here March 7th and I can't wait! I love my parents so much and it is so hard to watch them go through this shi_.

Laurie

:D

ah portsmouth it is great there too. My dad and avid NH shopper always goes to portsmouth and newington! And he is VERY into military past so the albacore is must see for him. And as kids, take the plunge, ride the waves, have some fun, spend the day....at Water country!

Laurie I am graduate of UMass-Amherst Degree in Psych. LOVED UMass. Graduated when it was still the 90's haha 98-99 but no less. I danced hence my dancing spider man. I was Capt. of dance team there. lot of fun! Today as i am sure you have heard Boston is getting whacked with snow. praying for a cancelation of work!!!! :? I work in a non profit ged, career training place so i am hoping they do not make people head in to town if it is still this bad out! at least a delay!! :wink: we will see.

Karma, my wife has NSCLC and is under chemo treatment. Two main things to watch: (1) nausea, which can be helped by medication, but I also have found that rather than three meals a day, my wife does better if I spread the food over the day, like six times. She does better with something on her stomach. (2) dehydration, which my wife had to go in the hospital for several times. It is so important to drink a lot of liquids over the course of the day, so this does not happen. I trusted my wife at first to take care of this, but now I monitor her and make sure she has a lot of different liquids -- water, juice, tea, Ensure, etc. - to drink. Best to you, your dad and mom. Blessings. Don

Don thanks for the info. They are releasing my dad today. The Dr said that the hospital wouldn't be a good place for him to stay with pnemonia??? only thing i am worried about is the massive snow here and the fact that he is not suppose to walk around on his leg and he popped another rib so he will be all hopped up on Oxy's. He has radiation 5 x a week, not sure if they will wait for his infection to clear up before they do it again but i thought they might have sent him down for radiation today. But if so that will mean traveling back and forth in the snow to appointments all week while he is sick. Today seems like a crappy day to let him go. we are suppose to get another 3-5 inches of the 27 inches we got yesterday starting at noon today. they may release him around 3. that sounds nice and slippery and cold but ok. :shock:

Karma, your dad and my wife have much in common. She has NSCLC with mets to the bones. She also took radiation at the same time she started chemo.

Actually, it is a known fact that doctors' offices and hospitals are the worst places for a sick person, because there is so much sickness in the air. When my wife got the staph infection in her port, and had to be hospitalized for two weeks, I worked to get her out of there as soon as she was well enough to go home, and I could take care of her (with the help of home health care)j. My main reason was to get her away from infection, and I became more determined when the guy across the hall kept hacking. My daughter was skeptical that I could take care of her, but I am proud to say, I was able to do so. And I think I did the right thing to get her home in her own environment. Hoping all works out for you and your family. Don

Thank you don and i do agree the only thing is now they said his tumor grew? I guess they are suggesting his lungs. I do not get it. how could it be growing so damn fast if it is a NSCLC??? Shouldn't they wait and see if the chemo kicks in before maybe saying that??? i mean also grew? um we talking about like the incredible hulk growth factor or we talking milimeters divided by pie squared here?

Who knows i am afarid for the fact that he has been popping bones ever other day.

ANOTHER THING!! someone has to try to make me understand this. how can he go from I shi_ you not, being a pretty healthy man in the sense of he could and would be all over the place working, and being active to now where IF he is awake he is only trying to control his pain all in one month???? LIke normal dad to the point of where they may be thinking of putting a bed in here to make it easier for him to not break stuff????

I mean seriously? it happens THAT fast?

Hey Karma girl,

It sounds like your under some serious stress... :( I'm sorry, it sure is tough, but try to stay positive if you can, don't think about what if's. My Moms lung was collapsed and she had to go onto oxy, they also told us it probably going into her brain...but it wasn't. She was at work totally fine when all this happened! It is scarey as hell, but keep the faith, What are the facts? How do they know it grew did they do a scan? Is he still coming home today. How many chemo treatments has he had?

Thinking of you

Laurie

Thanks Laurie, Trying to keep postitive. He did get released yesterday, they gave him a dose of morphin for the road and pumped up again his oc's.

On sunday they did a bone scan i thought due to the popping he heard and then the pain he felt. I didn't think you could see the lungs from that in a way to determine if the mass had grown. and i asked my mom if he said in the bone she said no he said the mass in his lung.

As far as Chemo is very first one was friday for about 5-6 hours. they added a steroid for his bones in one of his treatments. His next on is march 7th. he does them every 3 weeks. carboplatin and taxol

I feel the most bad for my poor poor mom, she is a very meek person and everyone is streching her in 100 different directions. my 2 aunts are overbearing and are taking over. one of my aunts is flying in from florida on the 3rd to stay for a week or so. (she doesn't hold my mom in the highest regard) so she is fretting over that! I am trying to tell her to not make it into an issue until it is. and my dad is no help to my mom, they wanted to set up a shuttle service for them to be taking in and out of the hospital. My mom drives her car (she started driving again maybe 3 years ago after a long stint of my dad being the only driver) BUT NOT IN BOSTON near storrow drive she is afraid of it. He has radiation 5 days a week, he refused to go. like hello dad, make her life easier too. get on the stupid shuttle bus!! free ride, no paying for parking. Poor thing is afraid to leave the house for a second in case he needs her or if my aunt calls and is mad casue my mom left to go to the store.

I am trying to keep my mom's mind focus on a more positive outlook and to not let them bother her. but it is the hardest for her right now. She has a lot of thigns on her mind that she can not seem to shake.

Hey Karma,

How are you holding up? Your poor Mom, she is probably just a nice, polite woman :D Like My Mom... I'll never forget the time my Dad and I drove down to Fenway for a SOX game... oh my god... And who wouldn't be intimated on Storrow drive without a weapon in the car... ???It's not like people actually yield if your trying to get right to get your sick family somewhere...People say that California driving is bad.. not compared to the big dig and Boston traffic!!! We had a bunch of Lurkers too, they are trying to help out. I quess... but tensions are running high and now with your father on Steriods.. yikes! Mom just wanted to be left alone.. Most of our lurkers were just nice people..bringing cakes etc. I would usually sit there and eat it. Mom couldn't I think Dad and I gained ten pounds. However a few of them started telling us "tales of terror" watch out for those. :roll: NO NEGATIVE PEOPLE OR ANY ONE SICK!!! Sorry but eh... KICK EM TO THE CURB!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: hahahaha

I'm glad that you can vent here!!! Hang in there... hopefully the chemo and radiation will start to work relieve his pain.

THinking of you :D

Laurie

Thanks Laurie and YES storrow is a nightmare AND when was the last time you were in the area..the big dig!! OH DEAR GOD, they are opening a lot of the new tunnels but not without rerouting everything. it is crazed! I mean once this is all down it will be very cool but until then Boston is a huge mess and constantly changing.

well with that said my dad took the shuttle bus.YEAH!!!!! BUT (always a but)..he said he will not take it again..haha. he is pumping up my mom to drive. I can tell she is all set with driving but I told him to promise me to only give her encouragement. He was very quick to agree so I do not think he will bother her and let her drive 2 just to get thru it. which will be good.

I am going to buy my mom and dad the book that miss sandys (by the way that is actually on of my sisters name and initial) put out there

"There's No Place Like Hope - A Guide to Beating Cancer in Mind-Sized Bites" by Vickie Girard.

The little snippets she was sending where great! plus my mom grew up very Irish catholic so she will enjoy some of the references to god a lot I bet.