Getting worried - pain, reason unknown

gerbil runner

Mom (bellringer) is in the hospital. Since her stent removal on Tuesday, she's had severe pain for which no concrete reason can be found. CT scan, blood work and urinalysis show nothing abnormal. Dad took her in yesterday afternoon for pain management . She's getting morphine in the hospital, but is still in a lot of pain. Still has a wry sense of humor - "It only hurts when I move or breathe".

There is no evidence of infection, blood clot, tumor, gallstone or anything else. Just a whole lot of drug-resistant pain. After almost 4 days of this, Mom is getting frustrated and we're all worried. What is it, and when will it stop?

Please send prayers and good thought out for my mom.

Jen,

I can't believe in the year 2004, they can't figure out where your mom's pain is coming from!! I'm hoping that it gets under control soon, and that she can get out of the hospital and come home where she belongs!!!

My thoughts are with all of you...

I am with Debi, in an age of pain managment clinics...why can't they figure out her pain? And really...even if they can't figure it out..why can't they at least control it? Tell your mom we are thinking of her and wishing her well.

Jen:

I am so sorry to hear your Mom is having such bad pain. My mom has been doing the EXACT same thing since Sunday. We have spent an entire week having all sorts of tests and blood work only to find NO real answer for the pain.Could be any number of things, but at least pretty much everything serious as been ruled out. Her ct scan even showed NED!! so we know its not cancer spreading. The only realistic thing we can think of is gas and constipation. I dont know if your mom has any troubles in that area, but mom sure does and it mnost defietly will cause some of the worst pain in the abdomen and back as well as everytime she breathes,coughs, and moves it feels like she is being jabbed to death. Pain pills only seem to take to edge off. Mom has been sicker this week from this pain then since June when she started treatment and they cannot even say its from chemo or radiation any more.

If we learn anything in the days to come I will pm you and in the mean time I will be praying for your Mom's pain to go away just simply go away, we dont need any additional problems.

God Bless you and your family

Kim

Hi, all.

Just got off the phone with my dad, and I'm really, totally PO'd. Some nurse suggested to my dad that the dr's might be looking for a recurrance of cancer. He called me all shook up over this.

How could there possibly be a tumor big enough to cause such pain yet not visible on CT scan? When mom was first diagnosed almost a year ago, she had a tumor (met) on her pancreas which was clearly visible on x-ray, yet had MUCH MUCH LESS pain.

After hunting around on the 'net, I'm thinking chronic pancreatitis. Mom has been on low levels of pain medication ever since diagnosis due to pain in the abdomen where the met was. She had a whole lot of radiation to the pancreas. Cisplatin can cause pancreatitis, as can steroids (which she is taking for pneumonitis). Then of course the stent removal procedure, which started the whole thing, can cause pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can also cause shortness of breath due to irritation of the diaphram, and mom is on low levels of o2 due to SOB.

The problem is, acute pancreatitis is indicated in part by high enzyme levels, which mom does not have. However, if the pancreas is already damaged, high levels of enzymes cannot be produced and do not show up in tests. Usually this happens during prior attacks of pancreatitis. But I'm sure everyone here who has experience with radiation will understand why I feel her irradiated pancreas may be previously damaged. So if mom has pancreatitis, she has taken an unusual route to get to it, and therefore would be difficult to diagnose. Pancreatitis is most often due to alcohol abuse or gallstones (mom had her gallbladder out 36 years ago). It's like LC in a non-smoker with no cough.

It seems to me that my mom's history gives a whole shopping list of reasons that her pancreas may have chronic damage. The original tumor. The radiation. The chemo. Her chronic pain in the area would be consistent with chronic pancreatitis. When the stent was removed, some stones were found. Gee, doesn't irritation from the stones seem more likely that an invisible, suddenly painful tumor? The CT scan was one of the first things they did to rule out cancer due to her history! There's nothing there!

I'm upset that my dad has been given a suggestion of recurring cancer to worry about. Why even bring it up? Maybe it's another case of "You have cancer. What else is there to worry about?" Maybe if we could find a hundred people who have survived a year out from a met to the pancreas, we'd find a high incidence of pancreatitis.

Sorry for the rant. I don't want to think about the beast coming back, either. But I honestly don't see how it could make sense. I hope the doctors aren't ignoring the other possibilities just because mom has had cancer.

Thanks for your prayers and well-wishes. It means a lot to us.

Jen,

I totally understand your frustration... it is so hard watching a parent suffer.

What is really sad is when we have to try to find the answers, because the medicals don't seem to be.

I pray that the doctors will be able to find the source of her pain now and get her some relief.

Cindi o'h

You've given the issue a lot of thought, and you know your mother's history well. Why not talk to her MDs and ask them about the possibility of pancreatitis in a burnt-out pancreas, especially since the whole mess seems to have started with the stent removal? Or maybe the guy that took out the stent should take another look, make sure the duct is still open? Maybe you'll give them some ideas.

Prayers for you and your family. It's hard when YOU have to flog the doctors to get good care.

Well, now it's been 5 days of unrelenting pain. The gastroenterologist does not feel pancreatitis is likely because eating does not make it worse. No infection, nothing turning up in bloodwork, nothing on CT scan or xrays...Mom's on enough medication to stun a buffalo and is getting seriously loopy. She's still in pain.

Dad and I are upset, frustrated, and worried. We're hoping that tomorrow will bring some answers and relief.

Thank you all for your prayers. I'll update tomorrow.

Jen~~

Your mom has had such a great attitude throughout, it must be especially difficult for you to see her in so much unrelenting pain and not have a reason for it. :(

I'm sending my most positive thoughts her and your way...hoping for answers soon and relief from the pain, even sooner! Please let us know how she's doing, when you can...and let her know we're all pulling for her to get some relief soon.