Questions for those who have had wbr

TAnn

It's going on 3 weeks since I've completed my whole brain radiation. For those of you who have had wbr, how long did it take for you to start feeling better? I am still extremely fatigued. Also, my head starts to hurt usually in the evening almost every day. Is this normal??? I have been off the steroids since Friday. I thought I'd start feeling better by now. I feel like such a wimp! So many talked about how they "breezed" through wbr. Boy, not me.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, I'm getting a little discouraged.

TAnn

Hi TAnn,

Even though I haven't had the WBR doesn't mean I haven't been thinking lots about you.. I have. Hope someone can come by and give you some enocouragement. One of my friends had WBR and it wiped her out for awhile... all I can say is I hope that you get your poop back soon. Hang in there.

Cindi o'h

Hi TAnn,

My husband is currently undergoing WBR, receiving his 10th treatment as I type this message...with 5 more to go. Obviously as he is still relatively early in this treatment so I can't offer any insight as to how long the fatigue will last; but I was a little curious and wondered if you have experienced anything similar to his (our) experiences. The fatigue is terrible for Bill as well, he can barely walk out to get mail and make it back to the house without taking a break and he has experienced a faint headache on some evenings. The steroids are making him so hungry that all he wants to do is eat, talk and take cat-naps....but what we were wondering is if you have noticed any other changes.\? For example, Bill has never been a beer drinker, but enjoys an occassional Bacardi and Coke; then, out of the blue, over the weekend while at Disney World, he asked me to get him a beer and didn't understand why I was surprised. He actually couldn't recall that he doesn't like beer...he drank it and asked for another. He was the same way with chili cheese dogs....all weekend....wanting to eat them. Obviously, I'm thinking that the radiation has possibly had an affect on taste buds. Another thing I have noticed is that he suddenly has begun ending many sentences by saying "neither here nor there". This is something I have never ever heard him say before and I am again wondering if it is from WBR. Curious if anyone else has similar experiences?

Thanks,

Beth,

I think your husbands cravings are from the steroids. I wanted sweets and I'm not a sweet eater. I also gained weight and my face got all puffy (and still is) I hated being on the steroids. I just saw my doctor today and he doesn't think the headaches are from the radiation. He also says the tumors are so small that they couldn't possibly be causing any symptoms. So, I think that the radiation has definately caused the extreme fatigue and also my eyesight has gotten worse.

I am scheduled for a follow-up MRI and chest CT scan in 4 weeks. He said the physical symptoms from the steroids usually take a couple of weeks after you are completely off of them to go away. We shall see!

TAnn

When my mom had wbr it took her a couple months to feel better. She thought she was never going to feel better. I remember her feeling so down, it was terrible. But you will feel better it will just take some time. Just don't fight it and rest.

TAnn,

You have been through some tough times and beaten this monster into submission. WBR is not for for the weak, but neither was the plueral efussions you endured. I am proud of you and always here to vent when needed. It will take some time to get over this, and can only imagine the frustration you must feel. I am cheering you on!

Much Love,

Cheryl