Adeno and Bone Mets?

KerryToo

My MIL has been diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma. I’m not certain of the stage, because the diagnosis seems to drag on and on with an HMO. She is awaiting her bone scan results, but has started chemo with Taxol/Carbo combination. They also intend to begin radiation tx at the same time – but this has not started yet.

I have way too much experience with NSCLC, but have a new issue that I haven’t dealt with in the past with either my Dad’s or my Mom’s NSCLC experience. My MIL has had a Cat Scan that showed “something” on her head – not in her brain – but in her bones, her skull. She has severe head pain that they are treating with morphine. Is this possibly metastasis to the bones? She is forming a bump on the surface of the crown of her skull, and now says that a second, smaller one is forming. Is this where Gamma Knife radiation comes in? Or is that brain mets related? I don’t know anything about this kind of symptom and wonder what it is and what the tx will be.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

KerryToo

P.S. Living on both sides of the NSCLC world – My Mom is in remission (joy! joy!), but my Mother In Law is just starting this battle.

Yes, KerryToo, NSCLC can metastasize to the bones. My wife was diagnosed last October with NSCLC, with mets to five bone sites, including one in the skull (not the brain_. She started chemo and radiation at the same time. A caut8ion here from our experience. It is very hard to keep up with the liquid intake needed when you do both. You might want to inquire of the onc about an IV once a week to help with the liquid so she does not get dehydrated. Also, the immune system is lowered during treatment, so you might want to ask about Neulasta or some similar white blood cell booster. Lucie has Carboplatin/Taxotere, and is now on maintenance. As far as we can tell, the treatments have been successful. Welcome to the board here. Don

Hi Kerri,

My mom has NSCLC that spread to her bones..not her skull..but a few ribs.

I know from looking at the scans of these sites that the bone that was infected with the cancer cells was '"swollen". In other words..a bump.

In fact. ..one oncologist said that he could feel the swelling when he touched that rib.

She has had a few chemo's so far..we will know more on June 30 when she gets scans....but to prevent future bone mets, she is being given Zometa. Its supposed to be highly effective in controlling pain and killing cancer that has spread to the bones.

Ask your MIL's doc about this. Good luck and keep us posted

Laura

Hi Kerry, From what I understand- Gamma knife is used when mets are to the brain itself, I really don't know if it can be used for mets to the skull, but I don't think so. Don is right, conventional radiation would be the probable treatment for skull mets. I remember reading one of my dads MRI reports and it stated that there were bony protrusions on dads skull, and that they were "possible bone metasis"-so I figure skull=bonemets...he was due to go for a bone scan today, but since his lung collapsed, it is being delayed...

I hope this was of some help, I am sure that there are other people on this board whos experiences would be of more help to you, just like Don and Laura seemed to be more informative.

Good luck, and I hope that whatever the treatment is, it is done soon and your Mother In Law starts to feel better. take care, Deb

My mom has that exact same thing on her forehead, not the brain and not the skull itself, just under the surface of the skin, its a bump a large bump, but the radiation they have been using is Shrinking it!! So if they can radiate it that might be good. My mom has no pain with hers though. Or headaches nothing like that, and her Brain scan came back clear. My prayers are with you!

Rana

Hi Kerry,

Sounds like you have been through this a lot too.

My dad, back in 1973 had nsclc and it went to the brain and a large mass the size of a lemon appeared on his right temple just above the right eye. They took it off with surgery back then. I don't know what they would do today, I would guess radiation... I am sure the drs know what they plan to do when they see her next..... God Bless.