November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month

Donna G

Just thought I would mention, I wore my Lung Cancer Awareness tee shirt to the Skills Fair today. With all my talking, I couldn't believe that there are still some nurses at the hospital that don't know that I had lung cancer. I am in the float pool, so I go to work in most areas, ICU, medical, surgical, maternity . So I got to give my story again today.

I became very aware of Lung Cancer last November.....We attempted surgery on what we thought was stage one til I was opened up and sewn (staped) right back up....it had spead outside the lung to a mass of about 8cm according to surgeon.Back to the drawing board and my first meeting with what I now think is the greatest oncologist this side of the Mississippi.Started immediatly with radiation which shrunk all tumors to less to 2 cm.then we started this chemo superhighway .....went thru Iressa on the way and for 5 to 6 months I have been on Navelbine.Very potent but very quick with few (but growing )side effects.

I still worry that every little thing that happens is the cancer but so far all paranoia.My girt acting up but insurance wont pay for nexium so I guess i am stuck with it :evil:

Yes, this is LC awareness month but you would hardly know it. After the hangover from Breast Cancer awareness month, I am afraid LC will again be transparent in the public eye. I applaud the super organized effort that has been put into BC activism and awareness. I was bombarded with commercials, newspaper adds. radio spots and news reports. They are making tremendous strides and are driven for a cure. I could only hope their research would find a cure for all cancer so that Lung Cancer would disappear. I certainly see little interest in people speaking up for ones stricken w/ this disease. The activity on this thread is a good example. What a shame.

Jack

The reason no one acknowledges Lung Cancer in November is because it is the one cancer that often gets blamed on the patient. If you tell someone you have lung cancer most of the time the first question they ask is "do you smoke?" If you ever smoked in your life and you admit it then they just assume you are responsibloe for your illness. It's disgusting.

If that's the case why does AIDS get such tremendous research funding......can't most AIDs patients be blamed.....I think we just need to become more vocal. The people on and behind this board do a tremendous job....I just wish I wasn't out in the middle of nowhere, thinking seriously about Dallas.....I think it would make me feal better to get active in this cause. Yes I was a smoker but I didn't sign up for this damn disease.Where are all the taxes going from a pack of cigarettes.....I honestly don't know but I think some could go towards research. Maybe it does.....but I really doubt it. :cry::cry::cry::cry::x:evil::twisted: