LCAM Event Needs Your Help!!

SJAS

Dear Community,

I have been off the Board for a couple of weeks and I am typing this on the dash, so forgive me for not keeping up with you. This is what's happening:

At the end of Oct., I called around trying to find out what events I could volunteer for LCAM. There was NOTHING! Not one! Well, that's not ok with me :evil: This is what's happening:

"Shine A Light" on Lung Cancer

Old Courthouse Square

Santa Rosa, California

Nov. 12th - Friday

6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Bring flashlights/lightsticks and help us bring

lung cancer out of the dark ages

This rally desperately needs your help. We have some interest from the local media but we need to make it impossible for them to ignore. We have a city permit (got it yesterday!) and ALCASE is the organization lending its name and some materials. (ACS and ALA could not help in any way on "such short notice" - no materials, speaker, nothing! Of course, I did tell them that it was such short notice because they hadn't planned anything.)

What I need from you: H E L P !! :shock:

Can any of you make it or do you have family/friends in the area who could come? Santa Rosa is 50 miles north of S.F. I desperately need more speakers. One speaker I had really hoped to get is a local doctor whose wife was dx'd last year. Sadly, she died on Monday. You know how hard it is to link up with l.c. patients (find any l.c. support groups lately :( )I am running out to work this a.m., but I will be checking the computer late this afternoon.

Everyone says that this is impossible - but I don't believe it! With passion and caring anything is possible. Let's show 'em!

p.s. if anyone wants to take a moment and put this in the other sections, I'd appreciate it. I am literally out the door....

Hi Joyce,

I live in Fairfield, CA and will try to make it next Friday. I just read your post today and have to work on friday until about 3:30 pm. I don't think traffic is too bad going in that direction on friday so hopefully I can make it on time. I will e-mail Natalie, who lives in Sac, to see if she can make it. You might want to contact the Gail P. Ramos Lung Cancer foundation who are based in Vacaville. They are an enthusiastic group and might be able to show up with limited notice. Mr. Ramos is a wonderful speaker and you might be able to get him to speak. Below is the URL, the telephone number is on the website. Call them, someone is typically always around.

Good Luck,

Kathi

Hi Joyce and Kathi-

I would love to help on Friday, but I just found out my sweet dear mother in law has breast cancer. She is having surgery on Monday, so my husband and I are trying to find flights to Arizona...this week is not a good week for me. Have I ever mentioned that I absolutely HATE cancer? I ditto what Kathi says about the Ramos Foundation. We are talking about putting together a golf tournament and auction event.

Joyce, where in the Bay Area do you live?

Kathi, Natalie and Wendy,

I just have to tell you that you have totally made my day. I have been up since about 5:00 a.m. doing p.r. work for this thing and it can get a bit discouraging. I am finding a lot more families who have lost loved ones than survivors. We really need some balance. Kathi - if you could come I would be so eternally grateful, especially if you could say a few words about your dad's experience and how well he is doing. The Gail P. Ramos Lung Cancer Foundation sounds like a great lead and I will try to contact them tomorrow. I have a musical group lined up and am still working on a couple of other things.

I am located 50 miles north of S.F., about 10 miles inland from Bodega Bay. (It's pretty up here - worth the trip :) )

I will be interviewed on KFTY, channel 50 on Tues. about 8:30. I just hope I can make some sense and get people to start thinking about this. Unfortunately, I work 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. on Monday and I haven't had much sleep for days, so I just hope I don't scare people away from the event.

Natalie - I am so sorry about your mother-in-law. My MIL is a breast cancer survivor also and my sister-in-law recently finished chemo/radiation for it too. You just start to feel surrounded by cancer sometimes.

Wendy - thanks for the kind words and I just wish there were others around here, because I'm not sure I'm the person to do this...oh well. We just have to do it.

Just got home from snack bar duty after a soccer game. They lost and are out of the district finals (sshhhh - hurray! one more thing off the "to do" list :twisted: )

Great idea Fay. Good thing some people's brains still work - mine definitely is flashing "TILT" at this point :shock:

Old Courthouse Square is on Mendocino Ave. between 3rd and 4th Sts. It is basically two blocks east of Hwy 101. Exit 101 North at the Downtown Santa Rosa exit and turn right at the light (3rd St.). Go two blocks and the Square will be on your left side, but it is easier to go straight thru the light and there is a city parking garage on the left.

It would be fabulous to get to meet you Fay if you can make it. Anyone else up for it? Really hoping to put some real faces on the statistics. Steve just saw the button that says "Cancer Sucks - I am Not a Statistic" and is going to order one. Too bad it won't be here in time for the event.

If you can't come, the rest of you are going to have to say a few prayers for no wind/rain - and even more that I can hold it together :)