Off topic - My cat Casey

Debi

I had to put my cat, Casey, to sleep today. He was 15 years old.

Even confirmed cat-haters ended up loving Casey because he was so damn cool. Casey has been there for me through my daughter's teen years, my 2 relationships & subsequent endings, my dad dying, moving across country, my grandchildren being born, my son being born. He was an aloof cat but he always loved me and would lay on top of me whenever I was sad or sick, he would always just know. After my son was born, I didn't have the time for Casey I used to, and I feel guilty about that. I also feel guilty about not taking him to the vet earlier, I thought he was getting old and losing weight, getting sluggish.. instead, he was suffering from diabetes. I maybe could have helped him, but I was just busy doing whatever it is I do and didn't really pay attention to the fact that it might NOT be old age.

Before, my son kept asking when Casey is coming home and I didn't want to tell him the truth before his basketball game. I have to go and pick him up now and tell him that Casey isn't coming home. I know Casey is just a cat, but I can't stop crying...

Oh Debi, I am so sorry about Casey. Casey isn't "just a cat" anymore than my Mollie is "just a dog". They don't know that. This must be so hard for you and I am sorry that you have to tell your son but kids can be pretty strong. I know Casey knew you loved him. You didn't do anything wrong, your were taking care of yourself and your son - don't be so hard on yourself. Think of Norme's Rainbow Bridge.

Love and hugs,

Nancy B

Debi,

So sorry about losing Casey. Sounds like he added a lot a stability to your life and was a guy you could always count on. Fifteen years for Casey...he was an old man. I bet his life was enriched by being part of your family. Cry. I would too. My old Tim is coming up on 18 years. He is still telling me what to do and how to live my life. He is not just a cat...he is a real person in there. I bet Casey was too. Again, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Cindi o'h

Debi,

I am so very sorry to hear about your Casey. What a sad day it is when we lose a long time companion like a cat or dog. I had a Casey who was a gorgeous show dog, bred by me, born at my house and lived with us every day of his 11.5 years. It was a tough time when he died and it was tough when his mother, Millie died.

We did find a way to mend our broken hearts though--it came by way of a beautiful little bundle of yellow lab puppy and then a couple years later, a little bundle of chocolate lab puppy--Chloe and Rudy. Nothing ever takes the place of the ones we've lost, but the new ones sure do find their own very special place in your heart.

I feel so bad for you today and I hope you consider a new cat who needs you and your family sometime soon.....

Take care,

Cindy

Debi -

I read something a long time ago about "transference" in relation to pets. (I think that's what it was called.) About how they can console us thru the loss of loved ones or rough times, but that sometimes we "transfer" those feelings to them. And then when something happens to that pet, we not only mourn the loss of that pet, but it also unleashes all the emotions tied to the deaths and/or rough times they helped us through.

So that might be part of why you just can't stop crying. It's okay, let it out.

(And I nursed a cat thru diabetes and daily shots for two years once. It wasn't fun!)

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Oh Debi,

I can really feel your pain. You should not feel guilty at all. Your cat was 15 and lived a good life. You actually saved him from any further suffering and for that you should be comforted. I have a sick pet too who is also 15 and I may have to make the same decision, hopefully not too soon. You will grieve as I know I will. Feel free to pm me if you need to. I pray that you can get through this difficult time and that you can be there for your son.

TAnn

(((((((((Debi, Casey, and Son)))))))) I am so sorry for the loss of your Casey. They are like people you know? I had to put my little Yorkie Gabby down about a yr and half after my husband died. The vet had no diagnosis for her illness, but thought it was her liver. Actually when I think about it rationally, she was 13yrs old, and her poor little body was allowed to fail. She was 91 in dog years. I know she had a wonderful life and was loved alot, so as any loving "parent" would do, I didn't let her suffer. She gave me soooo much,,this was all I could give in return. You did the same thing for your Casey,,,,Please try to hold on to that thought.

Peace and blessings

Annjael

Oh Debi,

I do know how you are feeling. I had to put my dog of 12 years down. I cried more for that dog than I have for any human. That dog was my first baby! My daughter is the one who had to comfort me. She said, "don't worry mom, Mandy is in heaven with Jesus".

My cat is now 16 years old and has really lost his step. I am in denial about the possibility that he will not be around next year. I am really sorry about your loss....hang in there..

kitkathi

Oh, Debi...I'm so sorry. But Casey wasn't just a cat....he was the king of your household and YOU were his staff! Did you not realize that? :wink:

Cats often are so cool...but I think it's because they have staff....we humans who "work for them" is what makes them cool. 8)

One should never feel silly for shedding tears over a pet...because they are so much more than furballs with paws and an appetite for kibble or tuna. They are - sometimes - the only ones in our lives who truly seem to understand, aren't they? There are some days that I talk more to my two dogs than I do to my hubby.

It's easy to second guess things after the fact...but sometimes it's not so easy to tell when our pets are sick, either. Fifteen years is a pretty decent lifespan for a cat....but just know that where Casey is now...he's healthy, enjoying himself, nipping a little catnip occasionally...and just waiting to see you again someday.

I'm sorry you lost your cool guy and I know how it hurts. But maybe, in time, you'll find another kitty who needs a good home and competent staff...eh? :wink: I always say, that a heart that been expanded by the love of a good dog or cat...finds it hard to live without one.

Take time to grieve your little buddy, Debi....and then in time, maybe you'll pay tribute to him by bringing home another little furball that needs a good home, eh?

Debi,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am about Casey. He was part of your family...the cool part. I have a little dog and a cat. My little dog is 10 1/2 and beginning to get arthritis. I started her on aspirin therapy today as soon as the vet told me it might help. If not, I will try one of the new animal arthritis drugs. You lived your life and it is natural to think of them getting older and not as active. Don't beat yourself up...I know Casey loved you. Pets are really just "fur" people. At least that is what I call them.

Nina

Debi,

I'm sorry you lost your little buddy. I think the grief for pets is bigger the older you are. My childhood dog died my first year of college (she was 13 and was killed by a car). The dog I rescued for my son got real sick last year before Christmas and I had to put her down at the age of eight. My heart still aches for her.

You'll know when it's time to get another cat - we "found" a puppy this summer. When they're cute, wiggly and kissy and FREE, it's a sign. (This puppy has been anything BUT free since I got her home, having a rough early life (parasite hotel), but she's doing well now and packing on the ol' healthy weight.)

So snuggle with his favorite blanket and put his toys somewhere that you can see them and remember his little man face...and cry, Debi. It hurts, let it out.

xxoo,

Becky

Here's my cat heaven story I tell my kids:

Your cat is in cat heaven with my cats maggie, norman, and nicklaus. Maggie is in the field chasing mice all day--she catches them, but they never get hurt. Norman is sitting on the front porch warming himself, and Nicklaus is sleeping in the window sill.

Then I ask, "What is your cat doing in cat heaven?" Then I tell them that cat heaven is next to dog heaven, and I name my dog that is there, and it goes on from there. I encourage the kids to bring in a picture of their pet, and we keep it on the desk all day.

We have always had two cats for our 21 year marriage. Then we got stupid and got a third. I tell people if I had had 3 kids I would not have had three cats--but you can put the cats outside for the night . . .

I recommend, at some point, two kettens from the same litter. They really are not much more work than one, and they provide entertainment.

But that is down the road.

What is Casey doing in my cat heaven?

gail

Debi,It sounds like Casey was a world class best buddy.I'm sorry to hear you had to have him put out of pain and misery but like Gail said he is in kitty heaven & I think that's a pretty good place.I'm sorry your son lost his pet,that too is hard.I think mabe your due for a very good week pretty soon.Seems like as always when it rains it pours.Hope things get better soon.

PS:Becky will be on here pretty soon and tell you take some take it easy meds & go get counseling.LOL.You'll be ok.

Debi, I'm so very sorry. I recently posted about losing my Boopy cat, and had some pangs of guilt just like you mentioned, because I was sick and wasn't paying such close attention to him. But, like your Casey, he had a good long life, and lived in the lap of luxury -- MINE!

All my friends say that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, they want to come back as one of my cats!

When and if you're ready, you'll have plenty of room and love for another little 4-legged friend, and will give and get as much joy and love from it as you have any of the others in your life. These little critters just work magic in our lives, don't they?

My heart goes out to you. It sounds like we all agree though that Casey is in kitty heaven playing with my Boopy, Mama Kitty, Baby Kitty, Mr. Kitty, and all the rest.

Di

Debi,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your family cat. I know how attached our faithful companions are to our heartstrings by giving unconditional love. You will always treasure and miss your old friend. The unspoken bond and special friendship with a family pet can heal many aches. I agree that after some reflection and mourning, another feline and/or canine companion and personality will find a welcome place with your family.

DonnaB

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words...they really did help. I'm feeling better today. My son was upset but asked for some pictures so I found about 5 pictures of him and Casey, and that made him happy, it is giving him something to carry around and look at.

I actually do have another cat, her name is Snowball and she is about 2 years old. Unfortunately, I never really connected with her.. Casey was 15 pounds, Snowball is this teeny, hairy cat that weighs about 5 pounds dripping wet. Like I said Casey was cool and smart as hell, I will spare you his exploits, but there were many. Snowball has the IQ of a peanut and forgets how to retract her claws..there are times I come in the door and she is hanging from her paws from the curtain...I have no idea how long she has been there. :shock: Casey never would have been caught in those types of situations, he had too much dignity. Also, Casey would greet me when I came home by nodding his head and doing this grunt thing, and I would do it back..it was our special greeting. (okay, get the straight jacket :roll: ). Snowball does the wrap around and between the ankles cat thing that I'm just not used to. Casey was just so different.

Anyway, I guess its time to give Snowball a chance, and stop comparing her against my Casey. Thanks again for all your posts, you all have made me feel so much better...

Hi Deb,

I know what you are saying about your Casey. I too lost my kitty in Feb. I had him for 9 years. He died unexpectetedly. He had somr fluid in hid lungs. He was on antibiotics for two weeks and not getting better. Came home from church nd he was in duress. Rushed him to emergency vet, (45min. away on a Sunday) he dided onthe way. He had a reallyneat personality and I now have a Jake thet is very similar to the kitty you now have. I keep telling him, I'm going to sell him. He doesn't shut up and is always underfoot. My Bandit used to meet me at the door too, everything was on HIS terms. He used to sleep on the foot of my bed, I won't even let Jake come into our bedroom. He wants to get right into your face, I can't stand that, with Bandit, I had to hold his face and give him kisses, He would tolerate thet for a short period of time. This little guy(9lbs and 2 yrs old) is really sweet, but it's not Bandit. Bandit was a Ragdoll kitty and really beautiful. (20lbs and Simease markings)...

I hope your little boy gets over the loss. It sounds like you did the right thing, giving him the pictures . It's sad we have to loose our pets that we love. Their life is ohh so short...

God Bless, hugs and prsyers for you and your little boy,

Karen

Debi, I just wanted to add my condolences. I don't think there is such a thing as "just a cat," personally. I got 2 kittens from the same litter (I agree it's a good plan!) in May of 1989. The one I still have fortunately does not realize she's old, but I do, and it scares me. When her brother Cassie (short for Cassanova) died, I just about lost my mind. I really feel for you and your son, and I hope you'll go easy on yourself. You know Casey wouldn't want you to be unhappy; it would only upset him. I hope Snowball can begin to grow a little bit into the big shoes Casey left behind, and that your pictures and happy memories will bring you some smiles even through the grief.

(((hugs)))

BeckyCW