off topic: Vioxx recall

cindi o'h

Friends.

I was had a car accident 11/01 that left me with a closed spinal cord injury...some yahoo decided to pull out right in front of me as I was minding my own business going down the highway. I started to take Vioxx for pain.

In 11/02, I was dx with locally advanced lung cancer.

In 11/ 03 I sufferd a heart attack at the ripe old age of 47.

Novembers have traditionally not been a good month for me. In the past three years, I have been able to work 4 months and I am self-supporting.

yikes.

Now I hear about Vioxx and the association with heart attacks. I was taking it pretty much the whole 2 years before I had a heart attack. Does this mean that I can join in with the class action suits and get my money back for the money that I spent on the pills? Or does this mean that the lawyers are going to get the money I spent on the pills? I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find out if I would be eligible for damages to my heart if it is Vioxx related?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

I can assure you that there are lawyers licking their chops right now over all of the law suits that will be filed against Merck.

I would go to google and type in Vioxx lawsuits and investigate from there.

Based on your information, I would think there would be some compensation for you, not just the lawyers. Can't hurt to try.

Cindi

I would most definetly contact a lawyer. you can get your money back on the pills, but since you had other problems that could be attributed to the use of Vioxx you could very well be compensated there too. With class action law suits i THINK that maybe the money is divided evenly, and that of course would not be fair to people such as yourself who had problems assocoated with the use of Vioxx. Not everyone who took it had heart attacks. It certainly could not hurt to call a lawyer handling these cases. I know everday in the paper and on TV attorneys are advertising for clients,and of course the internet can lead you to one.

Best of luck and i hope you get every dime you are entitled too.

God Bless

Kim

Cindi, just be very cautious before signing on with an attorney, ok? Class action suits aren't usually what they are cracked up to be. Attorneys will rush to sign up as many people as possible, with no thought of ever really going to trial, in the hopes that they can get a large settlement from the company. The trouble is that the attorney usually gets the lion's share of the settlement, and sometimes even takes out additional money for "extra" fees. Just make sure you read the small print -- over and over -- to make sure how you are represented and that you know all the details.

Also be prepared for it to go to trial, as the company may believe they can get a better deal with a judge and jury than with so many settlements. Either way, it can take years to resolve.

If it were me, I'd stay away from attorneys advertising this on television and on the internet, and look for a reputable one in your area known by other people to at least advise you as to what your chances may be to prevail with legal action.

Good luck to you!

Di

Cindi -

We also are in the process of finding legal representation - my Mom was on Vioxx when she suffered her stroke in September - right before they took it off the market. My husband has a lawyer friend that is trying to find someone reputable locally but he said he would also check into a couple of the class action suits for us as well. I will be happy to pass along information that we get....

Much Love,

Amy