Treatment after surgery

ejpritz

Hi everyone:

For some reason I can't get this question out of my head. My mother had surgery in April, had about 2/3 or one lung removed. They put the radiation pellets in her lung. she had scans last month that showed no cancer.

Do people sometimes get chemo after surgery to prevent it from coming back? I am wondering if maybe she should be doing more.

Her other lung did show something that one Dr. siad was cancer, the surgeon who did the operation says was not. Whatever it was, it is no longer there.

Who has had chemo following sucha surgery?

Thanks

Erin

From my understanding, the research is showing that chemo after surgery is showing a reduced chance of recurrance.

I am sure several people on here will reply.

Just a question though: Did the surgeon remove "spots" from BOTH lungs as your profile reads, or did he just leave the one spot he thought was not cancer there--and now it has disappeared.

My best to you all. Hope the insurance thing is working out, too.

elaine

I am confused also. I had a pancoast tumor and I had to have chemo and radiation before they even would do surgery, and chemo after. A pancoast tumor is up in the apex of the lung and is pressing on or very close to the pluera, blood vessels and nerves. They usually want to shrink it first. Donna G

Hi Erin,

Most people including myself have cemo and sometimes radiation after

surgery. It depends on several things. Mostly the stage of the cancer and the health of the person.

Hi Erin,

I had the lower lobe of my left lung romoved for stage 1A. Was offered chemo as an added boost to keep the creature from returning, I chose to go for it. Depending on which doctor I asked I was told it would decrease the chance of recurrance by 5 - 10%.

Kathy

Just a quick note regarding treatment after surgery - for radiation, I was told there was a six week "window" after surgery that once missed, I could not receive the treatment. I was not offered chemo, so I'm not sure on the protocol for "when" treatment has to happen.

I don't know if there is a protocol. Everyone I have ever talked to and

no two people have had the same treatment . I couldn't have my treatment until six weeks after surgery. My cemo coinsided w/ my radiation. One was no good w/o the other. Go figure. Every person, Dr. and hospital has different beliefs in my opinion.

I too was 1a, lower right lobe removed.

I was offered chemo, but the percentage rate (3% at the most, I was told)on it being helpful in my situation with such a good prognosis anyway, I turned it down.

I want to keep my strength for if I REALLY need to fight at a later time.

I do, however, question my decision on a daily basis.