New to Site

helen

Hello I am new to the site. I am looking for support really. I am getting close to end of treatment - with no guarantees of course. Stage IIIa but they say it is an early stage IIIa so they went for the aggresssive treatment. I go to Loyola Hospital in Maywood, IL. Had surgery in Jan. Have had radiation & chemo together Cisplatnin & etoposide and now taxotere. Mood is difficult. I am seeing someone & have some pills

I have been more or less in the house since surgery and it has taken its toll. I am hoping to get back to work, which will be a whole new challenge There is very little family here for support, so I look for other sources. I'm looking for warm fuzzies and fun.

Boy this does read whiney, but its a bad day :?

Hi Helen,

Well, it sounds like you are getting ready to get out of the house and back to real life again, (work). Your holiday is over and what a holiday.

It took my husband about one month to start feeling better after the chemo and radiation treatments. He now is on the road to recovery, - - or so it sure seems. That chemo and radiation sure can bring one down but I am sure you know that. With my husband's age of 70 it is somewhat harder for him to get his strength back fast. It is taking some time but as far down as he was, I am happy with how he is coming along now.

I say, kick up your heals and go for it (your boss will surely be glad to have you back). go girl......

those first 6 months are really hard, surgery , being told you have the big C, chemo, doctors appointments, etc It is all exausting stressfull, and difficult. Have you had any check up scans, how have they come out? We are glad you are here with us and have shared your story. We are survivors and want to help each other.. Donna

Hi Helen,

just wanted to welcome you. You have come to right place for support. You will be amazed at all the great people here and many survivors also. There is usually someone who can answer your questions because they are going through or have been through what you may be experiencing..Welcome aboard

Want to extend my welcome and warm fuzzies to you, too, Helen. This is an amazing group of positive, supportive people, so pull up to your computer, log on, and let it fly---the good, the bad, or the ugly, to use some of Dr. Sam's words. :wink:

Hello Helen, and a big WELCOME to ya!!! :):)

It's OK to be a bit whiney from time to time, cancer does that kind of thing to you. I remember after 6 months, I was so excited to go back to work and now it's a year and a half later and I'm scratching my head saying what in the world why was I in such a rush. :roll::roll: Guess it's just part of the recovery process and Oh yea, do need the money. :)

Anyway, sounds like your well on your way to recovering and you do have quite a few things to be gratefull for. Glad you found us, again welcome and remember you do not have to go through this alone. :shock::shock:

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Welcome to the site. I am truely sorry that you have a reason to be here, however we do welcome you with open arms. I am sure that you will find comfort here, as all of the members(family) are wonderful!!

Rick

Guest JoAnn

Hi everyone

I'm new here...trying to get some help in coping with my mom's cancer.

She beat cervical cancer via a total hysterectomy and 37 radiation treatments. Then after suffering a myocardial infarction last year after the death of my Uncle, they discovered cancer in her lung. I am told it is the kind that grows slowly, however, when undergoing an MRI to make sure she was ok to have her right knee replaced, they discovered a tumor on her bone near her shoulder blade area that had grown over her spine. She was given 10 very intense radiation treatments and successfully shrunk that tumor.

Her doctor tells me that what they see on her follow up visit will determine what kind of chemo she is going to have to undergo.

I am trying to learn all I can about this, but it is difficult because everyone is in a different 'stage' or has a different type of lung cancer. I am not quite sure on the exact specifics on my mom's type or stage.

I live in Florida and she is in New Hampshire, so I don't get to see her like I want to. I was just up there 3 weeks ago to go with her during her radiation for the tumor on her spine.

I am rambling, I know, but I have so many thoughts spinning around in this head of mine...it's hard to stay focused.

Is this normal? Sometimes I feel like I need to abandon my life here and just go home to NH to be with her. Realistically I can't do that which makes being so far from her that much harder.

How does one prepare for the impending loss of their best friend??

:cry:

Hi Joann,

dont ever worry about rambling, we do that often here. Its hard to help you out until you know what type or stage your mom is in, but no matter what you find out please remember there is hope. There are survivors on these boards that will amaze you. One thing I wasnt quite sure of was when the lc was discovered, it almost sounds like last year unless I am not reading your post right. You will see of all the members here someone is bound to have a similiar situation and be able to help you. The thing about abandoning your life, that is so normal. I am lucky my dad lives minutes away. We have all been when your at right now so we know how you feel. Its been 8 months since my dad diagnosis, and I still get very overwhelmed trying to learn as much as I can, I think I probably absorb 20% of what I am reading if that. Well I just wanted to say welcome and let us know when you find out more.

Welcome Helen and Joanne,

I am sorry that we have to go through such a terrible disease in order to meet such wonderful people. And Helen... if you think your post was whiney, then you probably shouldn't read some of my past posts. I think I've made posts that define the term whiney. :lol:

It sounds to me like you are a lucky woman, and well on your way to long term survivorship. Surgery always has the most positive curative rates. I am praying for you, and that you do really well with the final treatments, and getting back to the real world.

Joanne, usually slow growing LC is non-small cell lung cancer. Your mom sounds like a strong woman to be able to beat cancer once. She can do it again. Therefore, there is no reason to prepare for the impending loss. Try and take each day, one day at a time, think positive and know that there are survivors out there in every stage. Your mom can be a survivor. I can totally understand the desire to drop your life to take care of the person you love who is faced with this horrible disease. But that is not always what the LC patient would wish for you. There are many ways to be there for your mom besides by her side. Be there for her emotionally. Be there with information and support. Be there with love. That is what I think most of us would want.

God Bless,

Carleen

Guest JoAnn

Hello Colleen and Cathy...and everyone!!

Thanks SO very much for your warm welcome and soothing words. Mom was diagnosed with the LC a year ago, but her ONC seems to think it has been there approx 5 years.

So, depending on what they find on her next visit is what will determine the course of action and treatment options.

Right now, she is out in Utah visiting her brother, his MANY children and their kids and is probably laughing and having a really good time. JUST what the doctor ordered I say!! She is there with her husband, staying a week, and will probably come home feeling much better. (Wish I could be there too, but I have been on the phone with all of them & it's ALMOST as good.)

As for abandoning my life here in FL, Colleen, you are absolutely right. My SELFLESS, always worried about others before herself Mom told me to stay put and visit when I can. I don't like being 2200 miles away from the woman who has been there for me through thick and thin, but I can be there for her emotionally. Sending her fave yellow long stemmed roses now and then helps as well !!!

My mom is the reason I am as strong as I am right now. She taught me to never give up - and I know with all the love and support of our wonderful family and the prayers of her friends and the wonderful people on this message board, that she can overcome just about anything. She beat it once...she can do it again, or at least drag it out as long as humanly possible!!

Again...thank you for your kindness...helps me to stay positive in talking to mom so she doesn't see how scared I really am. I feel like a little girl again at 38....imagine that.

Hugs to all & God bless :D

Guest JoAnn

Ok...I am totally retarded... CARLEEN...I called you Coleen not once but TWICE and was looking RIGHT at your name!!! DUH JoAnn !!!! :roll:

Sorry bout that ...lol

Guest pepperpike

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the site. I too am Stage III. I don't put much in that. I finished treatment May 13th and went into shock. I felt like I was alone and thoughts kept entering my mind that were quite negative. I had to take time to cry, get over it and get accustomed to the term Cancer Survivor. I had constant companionship during treatment, from family, friends and medical staff. Now all that attention is gone and there is just me alone in this house with nothing but time to heal. I enjoy this site as it brings me in touch with others fighting this disease.

I bought some Cancer prevention books and decided to be very proactive about Cancer prevention. I don't want a reoccurrence and if one were to occur, I want to be in the most healthy position possible to fight it. I have decided to try for permanent disability as I had my left lung removed and my right lung was radiated and I have asthma.

My prior lifestyle provided an environment for cancer to grow...I'm changing the environment.

Getting my energy back has been very slow. I thought I would bounce right back after treatment ended. Then I was told that radiation works as much as 6 weeks after treatment ends. I am on my third sinus infection since May...just don't have a real strong immune system yet. I finally am back to exercise this week. I completed 2 yoga classes and worked out at the gym for an hour. My goal is 5 hours of exercise a week.

I'm working on learning new recipes that exclude red meat, dairy, sugar and canned and processed foods. Just taking care of myself is keeping me very busy. I had previously been a very busy business women, but letting go of work and slowing down I think are things my disease meant to teach me.

Transitioning from patient to survivor requires some changes. I'm sure you'll do fine. Keep positive, keep us updated and stay healthy. I look forward to your posts.