Don't like joining Grieving and Obituaries

Ginny

Katie,

Having a separate Obituary Forum was a good way to find and address those of us or our families have passed away. This should help us from answering posts or sending PM's that are not appropriate at this time.

Having them mixed with Grieving makes it more difficult to find them.

Just a suggestion. Would like other comments, it is a site for us all.

Ginny,

That sounds reasonable. Seems to me an obituary is just putting forth information, not necessarily asking for support, but surely not shutting it off. On the other hand, grieving posts may be hard for some to read at any given point....

Katie/Rick,

Is it possible to un-join them again? If there are no objections? Democracy and all that rot, ya know...

Becky

Katie and Rick,

I was very happy when you created a separate Obituary forum, for the very reasons that Ginny and Snowflake have already expressed. I did not know that it had been a controversial decision.

That was a while back, and my thoughts stemmed from A) the fact that it seemed to be the obvious/logical thing to do and B) a personal concern for being able to efficiently find out (and respond to and/or their families) about other members on the board who had died or lost a loved one.

When Geoff's mom died last month, the separate format was both comforting and comfortable for us--once Geoff was ready to post about his mom. The joined would have presented certain emotional hurdles.

The separate Obituary forum is one of the things on the board that I really do think has been profoundly beneficial for those who have needed/used it. (In my mind, it is partially a good thing that the site doesn't get much traffic, for obvious reasons. It is understandable that people post about their recent loss under other forums, given their emotional state at the time of posting. They also frequently introduce themselves in forums other than the “Welcome new members” forum, yet that separate forum also clearly serves a purpose.)

I understand if, for the reasons you have put forth, Katie, there cannot be a separate Obituary forum. However, it would make me extremely sad to see it go.

Thank you, Curtis, for offering to moderate both.

I am posting this, Katie, because you made it clear that you wanted members to know that you had heard from more than a few people on this matter and that you DO listen to everyone’s input.

Regardless of what is decided, thanks to Katie, Rick, sponsors, and all the moderators. Your work means so much to all of us.

Sincerely,

Melinda