Stage 1 clinical trial ti prevent recurrance

Andrea

Hi. I picked up a flyer at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles for a "Phase III Chemoprevention Randomized Trial of Selenium Supplementation in Persons with Resected Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer."

It says "a study to evaluate whether Selenium yeast tablet can prevent new lung cancers in people with surgically removed non-small cell lung cancer as compared to patietns taking a placebo yeast"

It further reads "Selenium is a trace element that occrs naturally in the human body with little or no known toxicity when taken as a supplement and has shown promiing results in preventing the incidence of cancer in labratory animals."

"If you have stage I non-small cell lung cancer which has been surgically removed within the last 3 to 36 months and you are currently disease-free, you may be eligible to join the study"

"To find out more about the study or to sign up, please contact Donato Kusuanco at 310-423-1850 or Ronald Legaspi a 310-423-5038

Thanks for the info Andrea. I've been taking selenium for about a year now, since finishing chemo--I sure do hope the study shows a positive result! That would be great news!

I remember reading that if selenium were able to be patented, there would be drug companies racing each other to own the rights and doctors would be prescribing it to all kinds of people because it is that beneficial to your health. But, since it's just a trace mineral found in nature, no one can own it, so you really don't hear much about it. But, it's cheap, harmless, and if it really does prevent recurrence, it's a no-brainer.

Cindy

Selenium does come naturally in some foods--I think almonds have selenium in them, and if you were to eat 12 a day, you would get a significant amount of selenium.

I also do believe that I've read that we should be getting selenium in foods that are grown in soil, but since we've overfarmed so much, the selenium has been depleted.

Here's my problem--there's no such thing as 12 almonds to me---it's either nothing or waaaaaaay too many. :oops:

I take 200 mcg of selenium every day....my onc says it can't hurt me.

Cindy

Unfortunately can no longer say selenium is completely harmless. It has now been shown to increase the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer. We have had to reconsent all our patients on this study and after finding out about this most have dropped out. I think that is unfortunate because if caught early, most skin cancers are no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Oncodoc Joe: I have been on 200 mcg Selenium for years as part of my prevention protocol. Could you please forward me the study (or give me the url) where it says Selenium can increase chances for skin cancer? Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...