First Oncologist Visit

Oncologist's first visit was yesterday. He says that Gary is inoperable, results of PET scan were that the lymph nodes in center of lungs involved now, in just the weeks since diagnosis. Dr. says Stage IIIB. Chemo will begin next week, and will be once every 3 weeks. We are scared. Gary has a great deal of pain and the doc says that his tumor is in apex of right lung, and so large that the nerves are being crowded, this is his explanation of the pain Gary has down right arm. Thank you all for your support. I have been passing along words of inspiration. Sometime, maybe I can convince him to register.

Grammybear,

Just know that I will hold you and Gary in my prayers. You have every right to be scared. I was scared, angry, "in a fog", etc. It has evened out some with time, but I still have my gut-clenching moments along with moments of peace and an exquisite appreciation of life's small and large joys. Best thoughts coming your way.

Grammybear -

Will be praying for you and Gary in the days ahead. My surgery was stopped THREE times - but eventually they were able to remove my lung with the tumor and the results have been great!! Keep the faith and stay with us - we'll be right here with you on this ride!! :lol: Terrie

Guest DaveG

I am an inopertable Stage IV, rediagnosed from Stage I in April. At the present my lungs are clear, but I was restaged because of systemic mets to my lymphatic system. I had nodes in my neck, groin, medialsteinal regional, around my heart, and diaphragm.

I have been through 3 cycles of Carboplatin/Pachtaxel, with a clinical trial, Phase II (which means I am getting the real thing). I receive my chemo every three weeks. After the first cycle, there was almost 100% resolution of the tumors in my neck, and the CT Scan, just prior to the 3rd cycle, revealed up to 50% resolution of the remaining tumors.

Chemo does work, along with a great deal of faith, confidence, hope, and much prayer. I am elated with the progress. Attitude is such a big key to the success of any treatment. I have told you all this so that you may begin to build and work on the attitude. I told my oncologist, that my my intention is to live. She accepted that and is persuing my treatment aggressively with that in mind, that I want to live.

I hope all this helps in your persuit of this disease and beating lung cancer. You will read many stories of hope and success, but please also understand, we do lose some of our friends and whenever there is a loss, it hurts us very much, but we know that they do not want us to lose our faith.

GRAMMYBEAR,

I KNOW OF ALL THE FEELINGS AND PAIN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH, BOTH OF YOU. WHEN THEY TOLD ME MY HUSBAND HAD NSCLC I WAS READY TO HEAD TO THE FUNERAL HOME FOR I HAD NO FAITH IN HIS GETTING BETTER. IT TOOK UP UNTIL I FOUND THIS SIGHT FOR ME TO HAVE FAITH. RIGHT NOW MY HUSBAND IS EXPERIENCING SEVERE PAIN IN THE LEFT ARM. HE CAN NOT LIFT ANYTHING, NOT EVEN A GLASS OF MILK TO HIS MOUTH. HE HAS HAD THIS PAIN FOR OVER TWO MONTHS BUT THE DR IS NOT THINKING TO MUCH ABOUT IT AT THE PRESENT TIME. WHY I DON'T KNOW. WE GO BACK 7/10 AND I WILL HAVE THEM TAKE A SCAN OF IT. HE DOES HAVE BONE CANCER NOW IN HIS RIBS AND THAT IS SOMEWHAT PAINFUL FOR HIM. BUT ALL IN ALL, HE IS SO MUCH BETTER TODAY THEN HE WAS DURING ALL THE TREATMENTS. THOSE TREATMENTS REALLY BRING SOME PEOPLE DOWN AND MY HUSBAND WAS ONE OF THEM. I DIDN'T THINK HE WAS GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THEM BECAUSE HE STOPPED EATING FOR NEARLY TWO MONTHS AS I RECALL. HE LOST 60 LBS. NOW HE IS EATING AND I AM STARTING TO THINK IT IS ALL TURNING AROUND FOR HIM. THIS BOARD REALLY HELPS ONE TO BELIEVE....GOD BLESS

HI Grammybear,

I will be keeping Gary in my prayers!!!, Praying the chemo. does it's thing and the tumor can be removed. Please keep us posted.

God bless and be well

Bobmc - NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

grammybear,

We will pray for you and just try to stay positive.

P.S. Gary would definitely benefit from reading and discussing things with the wonderful community we have hear.

Grammy, It sounds like Gary has a Pancoast tumor. If that is true, see Donna G's posts. She is a survivor of this.

Once chemo starts, Gary should soon experience relief from the pain as the tumor shrinks.

I am sending positive thought waves to you & Gary! JudyB

Hi Grammybear,

I am so sorry about your husband. I hate this D-mn disease, and all the fear, pain and misery it creates. But that is what we are here for, to offer support and comfort for you when you need it. This is such a scary time, and I'd like to say that the fear goes away, but I haven't noticed that it does. What I have seen is that with a little time, that fear is coupled with something just as strong.... hope and faith. I don't know if it's the human competitive nature, or God stepping in during our time of need, but we have to have faith that our loved ones can fight this thing. We hold onto hope and cherish each and every day with the hope and prayers that there will be many more to follow.

They say that people use less than 10% of their brain capacity. I believe that mental attitude, positivity and visualization can possibly tap into that unused resevoir of our brains that can aid in healing itself. I believe that men are working their hearts out every day to find a cure for this crap, and that a cure can be found, in time to help our husbands. I believe that God and reach down his healing hand, if it is his will, and heal our husbands. I believe all of this because, to not believe this is to live each day as if I've already lost the battle. That is not an option to me.

Be strong, and believe in miracles. They happen all the time, and they can happen for you.

Carleen

Guest pepperpike

Hi Grammybear,

I will be praying that the chemo shrinks that tumor immediately. Keep your strength up....caregivers have to be very strong to deal with everything thrown at them. We would welcome a post from your husband. There are so many great survivors here giving support and encouragement to everyone. When my tumor was in me, I constantly asked that my body cut off the blood supply that feeds the tumor. Just thinking that your body can kill the thing may help.

Please keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am Gary,"Grammy Bear's" stubborn husband.I came here for some inspiration and I must say that I am not disapointed.I had my first chemo treatment this past Friday.It was scary,but not as bad as I imagined.The side effects have been minimal compared to what I feared.Bonnie (Grammy Bear) says Friday night I slept without moaning from pain for the first time in awhile.I had been having a real hard time sleeping at night from pain in my right arm from the pressure on lymph nodes.The first night after my first treatment there is a very noticable difference.

I actually spent the day at a country fair yesterday with Bonnie and our grandson.

I was exhausted,but feeling satisfied that I was actually able to do more AFTER treatment.

I am feeling hopeful.I am grateful for the sharing here.It is encouraging.

I wish the best for all and look forward to becoming a part of this "family".

Introducing me to this forum is another way that Bonnie has shown her loving support in my fight against the cancer.

Thank you all for your support.

Gary

AKA "Stubborn Hubby"

AKA "Grampa Bear" :)

Hi Gary,

Welcome to our family. So glad that Bonnie got you plugged into this list. There are many people going through this terrible mess and we help and support each other through it. Be sure to read the Good News section for success stories that can brighten your day.

Stay strong and keep the will to fight this. My husband is undergoing both chemo and radiation currently and it wipes him out. He has a great attitude about this and we have had many ups and downs.

Keep posting and know that you and your family are in our prayers.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Hi, Grammy and Brampa! Don't worry about "inoperable". When my wife's lung cancer was diagnosed in October, there was very little tumor in the lung -- it had all spread to her bones. A biopsy of one of the bone mets was how they actually identified the culprit. She is nine months out from diagnosis now, and under a maintenance program. Our best wishes to you two. Don

Welcome to Gary and Bonnie,

Gary: Many people experience minimal side effects from chemo, but sometimes the negative side effects of chemo don't show up for several days after you've had it. There are things that can be done to lessen those side effects. Come here and tell us what is happening. Someone on this list is going to have information on how to make specific side effects more tolerable. I don't want you to become discouraged after having such a good day with Bonnie and your Grandson. There are more of those good days coming for all of you.

Bonnie: Bless you for doing the leg work to find ways to help your husband become one of the long term survivors. As one who has to do all the searching for herself I would like to let you (and all of the other caregivers out there doing the same thing for your loved ones) know just how wonderful I think you are.

Fay A.

Hi All

I got through my first week of post chemo treatment with some ups and downs,but basically doing well.It has made some odd changes in my appetite,but I have been able to manage to eat O.K.

I was never a picker eater.I am now.

The fatigue seems to come and go,but it seems manageable at this point.

I wanted to let you all know that I am sending healing thoughts to each and every one of you.I appreciate the support and kindness you have shown to both my wife and I.

Thank you

Keep the faith

"Grampa Bear"

Gary

HI GARY AND BONNIE,

SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE ABLE TO TAKE EACH DAY AND ENJOY SOME PARTS OF IT. ONE NEVER KNOW HOW THE CHEMO WILL AFFECT THEM. I HAD A FRIEND WHO WENT TO WORK AFTER THE CHEMO. NEVER MISSED A DAY. HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE MANY GOOD DAYS THROUGH IT.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. STAY IN TOUCH FOR WE ALL CARE. GOD BLESS.