Saw new Oncologist

Justakid

Saw my new Oncologist today, really liked him! The first thing he did was pull out the pathology report and went over it with me. He explained that the lobe that was removed from my lung DID NOT have cancer in it. There was a mass but no cancer.

He said the the cells for lung cancer are similar to breast and that because there was a tumor in my lung the ruled lung cancer. He ir doing an MRI on my breasts, CT Scans and PET Scan. He wants to be sure that it's not breast cancer. He has ordered that my tissues smears be redone, looking specifically for breast cancer. I asked him if I should have hope and he said yes. There was no primary tumor in my lung, only three lymph nodes tested positive.

Go figure. I'll keep you posted! :?

Hey Beth,

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was "HOLY CRAP ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Kind of like the lady here in Minnesota that had her breast removed and she never had breast cancer?! Maybe that's not a fare statement for me to make! Oh Kiddo, I just hope to God you'll get to the bottom of this REAL SOON!!

((((((BETH)))))))

Wow! I don't know what to say. I am going through something similar and I do so understand feeling relieved to have some other kind of cancer and not lung cancer. I have a feeling mine is lc, but when my PCP recently put a hint of doubt in my mind, I was ecstatic.

Hard to imagine being happy over a cancer dx.

I hope they get to the b ottom of this.

love and fortitude

elaine

Justa.

It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out.

In the meantime, it sounds like this onco is being thorough...there is something to be said for that. And he does seem to care about his friends.... So he is loyal...

Sure wish the first guys and gals would've taken an organ that you didn't need as much though..... :roll: Doggonit anyway.

:idea: Call 1-800 L-A-W-Y-E-R-S

Hey! You might be taking ME to Disney World instead of the other way around! 8)

Yeah but surgery and chemo is pretty drastic to now be told oh, it's not cancer----you could have used that lobe of the lung for a lot more years@!!!!!!!!! Mine was not a 100% certainty on surgery day, but they did a frozen section while I was in surgery after they took the tumor--if it was negative they would not have taken the whole lobe--they would have just removed the mass.

I say 1800LAWYERS is a great idea!

Cindy

Oh Beth,

I couldn't believe what I was reading. What I am wondering , did they tell you originally that you had lung cancer? This is just another example of why we need to take an active role in diagnosis and treatment. My heart goes out to you Beth. I know you are such a trooper and it seems that the treatments just don't agree with you. I can't even begin to imagine how disturbing this information must be. The best thing you can do is have positive thoughts. Will keep you in my prayers

God Bless,

sue

It's cancer, BUT it may be breast cancer not lung. He also said that the mass in my lung would have been removed and reviewed for cancer regardless. He is thinking that it may be breast cancer though.

Although I was treated for lung he said that the treatment would also have worked for breast. Now we are just waiting to see which kind of cancer it is. He could be wrong, but I'm glad he is checking everything possible out before deciding. He has my vote though, he completely examined me and no one else has, only listening to my chest and feeling my neck, he checked me from head to toe.

How messed up sould it be if it wasn't lung and was breast, this whole thing is making my head spin! :?

Beth,

I am so glad you have a new onc. Always get a second opinion. The chemo I was on also treated ovarian cancer, which several tumors have been seen in my ovaries. They are believed to be benign, yet reacted to chemo. I am not going to "borrow trouble" and go along with "benign cysts theory." I pray that it isn't cancer. Breast cancer has a 85% cure rate. Good luck Beth! Keep us posted.

Cheryl

My, my, Beth, you do keep us on our toes!

I wonder how common this is, to have themisdiagnosis if the cells can be so similar. I often wondered this before - my mom has adeno of the lung, bot how do they KNOW it is not another type of adeno?

I'm glad you found an onc with whom you have a better rapport and confidence. Thoughts and prayers to you!

~Karen

Beth,

Oh my... I don't know what to say! Is it crazy to say I hope it's breast cancer? (meaning ONLY that I hope it's not lung cancer, of course). Never thought I'd be saying THAT to anyone! :shock: Glad you're happier with the more thorough new doctor. Keep us posted, and hang in there...

Thinking of you,

BeckyCW

Geez, talk about strange situations to find yourself in! I see you took Taxol, I know that is is used for ovarian, my MIL had it but I don't know about breast cancer. I'm sure they would have had to remove that mass in your lung any way, like your doc said, it would have needed testing.

I had what Cindy had, the mass was tested for cancer while I was in surgery and they would have just tken the mass had it not been malignant.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kathy

Beth?

What is going on? I can't imagine being told that the dx was wrong and that it might have come from another type of cancer. If it is breast cancer will they remove a breast as well? I am so glad you found a second opinion...I hope this guy knows what he is doing...it all sounds so strange to me. Keep us informed and know you are in my prayers.

Nina

Wow, what a shocker. I can see how it could happen - cells don't come with little labels under the microscope ("lung", "breast", etc.). Cancer cells in particular can get very distorted-looking, and it's possible to make a mistake. But to go through surgery and all that treatment.... :shock:

Your onc sounds like a good guy, I admire any doctor who shows an inclination to think. Maybe this will turn out to your benefit. Praying for you.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and comments.

I have decided to continue to believe that this is lung cancer until it is proven otherwise. Breast cancer would be a far better dx, but for my own mental well being....it's lung cancer.

I just can not believe how crazy all this has been from original dx in April through the current time. And I just thought that you got cancer, had surgery, radiation and chemo! Who knew there was more too it! :?

I'll keep everyone posted, as things progress. MRI is the 23rd.