3a-surgery then chemo or chemo then surgery?

Guest TeeTee

We find out tuesday whether mom has 3a or 3b but the surgeon was pretty sure it was 3a (waiting path reprots.) We have been told that if it was 3a that she would have chemo and or radiation THEN surgery. However, I saw posts on this board from 3a survivors saying they ahd surgery THEN chemo and radiation.

We have not spoken to the ocn about a course yet-we will do that on tuesday but I would love to ehar thoughs before we go in.

thanks-

TeeTee

H i Tee Tee,

First , every case is different so it is hard to answer that question, but I do know of one case. A close friend of ours was a 3a and had chemo and then surgery. Hers was done in an effort to shrink the tumor before operating. That was 3 years ago. She had chemo, her right lung removed and is cancer free as of this time.:D Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless

sue

Tee Tee,

Every case is different, but with my mom IIIA, her timeline was as follows:

Nov 2003 Diagnosis

Nov 2003 Chemo

March 2004 surgery

May 2004 radiation

Currently---NED which means No Evidence of Disease; just waiting and watching and wondering as someone else here who is wise puts it. :)

I am probably not a good example for you here. I was originally diagnosed as Stage 1 and when I had surgery they found much more cancer than anticipated and was restaged 3a. Seems to me the majority of the folks in this category have chemo/radiation first then surgery.

I was 3a and had surgery first then chemo. I had the surgery first because the tumor plus 2 escaped nodes (the 2 nodes pushed me to 3a) were all self-contained in my right middle lobe. One of the little escaped nodes started to attach to the chest wall, but my cancer was found in time that the surgeon was able to get all cancer out by removing my whole lobe and some chest wall tissue. After the surgery I was considered NED, but I had adjuvant chemo to help prevent a recurrence.

chemo first, surgery, then chemo.. then everything went nuts.

But my onco/surgeon rationale was... Chemo first to shrink the mass and kill it (hopefully)I think that makes it easier and safer to remove, and also wipe out all the micro cells. Just like everyone has siad all cases are different but that was his reasoning anyway.

Dear Tee Tee,

Well, every cancer patient diagnosed is different. It all depends on where the tumor is, and if there is lymph node involvement, etc... etc... However, I had my surgery first, then 7 weeks later did chemo and radations. See my Profile below. I know many people that had surgery first then chemo and rad, then on the other had, I also know many that had chemo and rad or just chemo first and then surgery and then chemo and rad after. Talk to your Doc. Don't get set on the fact that So and So had this first and then that second. That doesn't work being a LC patient/survivor. (sorry)!!!!

God bless and Good luck.

Hi there-

My mom has IIIA--tumor in her right lung and lymph nodes in medistinum--she did chemo/rad then surgery (removal of upper lobe) and 4 rounds of follow up chemo--her last is tomorrow. She is in the process of testing to see if she is a good candidate for Iressa. We'll know how well everything worked in a few weeks when she has her follow up CAT scan/PET scan.

Best wishes

Denise

Len had surgery first but he was staged as IB to begin with; then the surgery revealed the one mediastinal lymph node (which was removed) so he was bumped up to IIIA. He then had chemo, followed up by radiation in the mediastinum as a prophyllaxis. So far, so good...

Ellen