Surgery Again

AdaW

Dear Friends

You may remember that I had surgery in January and then found a lump in my abdomen in late May. After a biopsy, it was determined that the lump was a cancerous spread and I went on IRESSA. I had a CT scan on 6/16 and got the results this past Tuesday. I have 4 new lumps and my original lump has increased in size. The IRESSA did not work for me, so I am off of that drug now. I was very disappointed. Believe me taking a pill for chemo instead of sitting hours and being stuck for an infusion is so much easier.

We flew to Pittsburgh Wednesday night so that the surgeon could evaluate me for surgery. I will be having surgery tomorrow morning to remove 3 of the lumps. I have subcutaneous mets--I can feel the three (1 on my abdomen and 2 on my back) and 2 are deep, so they won't be removing those. They will use those as tumor markers when I go on new chemo treatments.

I am now on the list for three different clinical trials. I will go on the one that presents itself first. One of the treatments is with Taxotere and Gleevac. The oncologist feels that I will respond well to something.

On the upside--the oncologist said he rarely sees anyone who has had all the chemo (5 different drugs) radiation and surgery that I have had functioning at my level of performance. If you saw me, you would never guess that I have Stage IV lung cancer. In fact, I feel better than when I started this odyssey 2 years ago. This is really a blessing.

I should be home (Residence Inn ) on Saturday. I am thinking of all of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Ada

Ada--

My prayers and thoughts are with you as you have your surgery. AS the oncologist said, they will find some combination of chemo that will work for you. Your attitude is fantastic, you were the first person to respond to me when I came to the board not long ago and you made me feel so welcome. Very glad to hear that you're feeling well. Please update us as soon as you are able to.

Gail P-M

Dear Ada,

I am glad to hear they are willing to do the surgery. I am sorry to hear you have to go through it again! :( I'm also sorry to hear the Iressa didn't work. BUT again, I am happy to hear they are willing to try even more dreaded needle pumping chemo!!

My friend, I wish I could be with you just to give you a hug. Please know I will be thinking about you all day tomorrow and I pray all goes very well!

Will be looking to hear from you when you get home.

Warm and Gentle Hugs my Friend!!!!

Dear Ada,

You are so strong!!! Your calmness and rational approach to your situation absolutely amaze me! You are always so supportive and thoughtful in your responses to others, I hope we can supply you back with some of that warm love. You will be in daily prayers, friend, that the surgery and your recovery go perfectly, and that the new chemo regimen is the answer.

I agree with Tiny, your calmness and your approach is wonderful. Know that you have prayers going up for you and thats great that you feel so good and the doc is confident about your response to one of the trials. I hope one comes along soon!!

Love, hugs, and prayers coming your way, Ada.

Dear Ada

You truly are an inspiration, for some reason when I read your post I always seem to read them in a very calm voice, I think thats how I hear you talking. or maybe its your picture thats calming. Anyway good luck with surgery and I hope recovery is fast and painless for you. I hope your new treatments leave you feeling good.

Dear Ada,

Hang in there. My prayers are with you along with everyone else's.

I deeply admire your strengh and your attitude. I am right there with you as people also tell me that I look great and wonder at how can I be so "up".

I honestly believe that attitude has everything to do with survival. If you are not up, and take each setback as just another challenge on the long road, the whole fight that we are all involved in is a lie. After all, what is the alternative. When the "bad times" come, and I get down I simple embrace it for while until it passes.

Being a fighter has proven to me to be one of my hidden talents which has been brought out by this whole experience. It has has turned in to one of by most valuable strengths and at times, even a wonder for me.

You WILL get through all of this and go on and find some combination that will work. There are lots of drugs out there and having a positive attidude is so important. I even got my Cancer Center here in NJ to start an "Ongoing Treatment Group" for those of us that have to treat Cancer as a Chronic Disease. While there are not many of us that go twice a month to meetings, it is inspirational to all of us and we compare notes and talk and laugh about our fears, common questions and even things like facing the possible rest of our lives living in our wigs with no hair.

I am kind of a support group junky, but pick and chose each one very carefully so they are good for me and there is chemistry (no pun intended) between the people that attend. Hopefully you do this as well.

All our prayers are with you and please let us know how you are doing.

Peace and blessings.

Barbara

Ada -

Welcome back to Pittsburgh, although I wish it was under better circumstances. I was sorry to hear you are having so much trouble - but your doctors seem to have everything under control - and so do you. I will keep you in my prayers today that your surgery is a great success and your recovery an even greater one.

Terrie

Dear Ada,

You know where my thoughts are this morning. I am so glad that your spirits are up after meeting with the Pennsylvania doctors.

They told Earl at 60 that he was young (he loved it) and that was in his favor in surviving the treatments and since, darnit, you are younger by far this will be a breeze for you. Fingers crossed, prayers heading up.

Wish Pittsburgh were closer so I could come visit you.

DEAR ADA,

I AM PRAYING RIGHT NOW FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY FOR YOU TODAY AND THAT THE NEW CHEMO TREATMENTS YOU WILL BE HAVING WILL WIPE OUT THAT HORRIBLE EVIL IN YOUR BODY.

I ALWAY ENJOY READING YOUR REPLYS TO EVERYONE FOR YOU DO HAVE THE FAITH THAT IS HELPING ME GET THROUGH MY HUSBAND'S LC.

GOD BLESS.

Ada,

My prayers and thoughts are with you. You look beautiful, the Lord is good and takes care of us. Stay strong.

God Bless

Lots of Soft Hugs

Karen

Diag 3-13-03, NSC IIIa-b

Radiation 38 treatments, 3-25-03 to 5-15-03

Carbo/Taxol 8 treatments, 4-01-03 to 5-20-03

Ada,

When I was first diagnosed, I was so lost. You were so spportive. What an inspiration you are to me and to other members of this board. You are "living with cancer." You are in my prayers. I pray that your surgery goes well! God watch over you Ada!

Cheryl and Jack

Ada,

Ditto to what everyone has already said. When I read your responses they comfort me. Take comfort in the fact that everyone will be praying hard for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

((((((Hugs)))))),

Mary

Ada.

I am from the Pittsburgh area. We certainly have some outstanding medical facilitities here, as well as doctors. I will pray your visit to Pittsburgh is miraculous. You are an inspiration to me in that you are still living life to its fullest and have such a sense of calm. All of that is in your favor. My Dad has the same attitude and if you met him (other than the shortness of breath and inability to walk far) you would not know he is stage IV. Like you he is fighting back and believing in the postive. Good luck and know that I am praying hard for you to be successful in your treatment.

Hi Ada,

I am so sorry the iressa did'nt work. I was really interested in that

therapy if or when it comes back. You surely look wonderful. Were

you in Hawaai in your picture? I know you must feel kind of low, but

don't give up the ship. There are so many things out there that we must

fight to survive and make sure they work.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

God Bless you,

Marsha

Adenocarcinoma dx 12/01, right lung removed 1/02 Stage 11B, nsclc

4/02- restaged to IV, spread to lymph nodes. Six Taxol/Carboplatin

treatments beginning 5/02 ending 8/'28/02- still in remission and glad of

it.

d