Surgery Again

AdaW

Dear Friends,

I returned "home" (Residence Inn) yesterday after having 3 cancerous tumors removed--one from my abdomen and two from my back on Friday morning. My word for the day is "ouch." This hurts, but nothing that comes close to lung surgery. One of the residents told my husband that this is like having 3 moles removed--I don't think so. One of my tumors was 2.5X2.5 cm, so it was nothing like a mole. I have pain pills and if I can get into a comfortable position, I am fine. It wasn't that bad and I am on the mend.

I really loved hearing from so many of you. To think that I might be an inspiration to even one person gives my life purpose. You all are also my inspirations. I care for each and every one of you very much.

The thing that I hated to report was that the IRESSA didn't work for me. I know some of you were watching my case to see if it might be something that might work for you or your loved one some day. Just because the IRESSA didn't work for me, does not mean it will not work for you. My oncologist in GA has a patient that IRESSA is working extremely well for. In her case, it is her miracle for now. I just still have to find mine.

I don't know when we'll be going back to Georgia. It depends what clinical trial I get on.

It's good to be back. I am thinking of you all.

Ada

Hi Ada.

I'm glad everything has gone well with the surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I have to tell you Ada, out of all the photos of everyone on this message board, yours is the one that gives me the the most trouble --- EVERY TIME I SEE YOU, I WANT TO BE IN HAWAII!! Take care,

David P.

Dear David,

A couple people on the board have commented on my picture which was taken on the balcony of our room at the Mauna Lani Resort on the Big Island, June 2001.

After raising our son and daughter, and having our noses to the grindstone for many years of providing everything for our children, with lots of love and pride, including their college funds, my husband and I decided to take a beautiful trip to Hawaii to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. This was truly the trip of a lifetime. We pulled out all the stops and had so much fun!

We were on Oahu, Kuaui, Maui and Hawaii. We still talk about our trip. It was fabulous and we hope to get back some day--hope!

Ada

Thanks Ada, your posts always seem to reflect the same calm, peaceful, almost serene feeling that I get every time I see that photo. So, for the next little while Ada, find a really comfortable position in your favorite chair and stay there for a while, you deserve it after all you have been through. Take care,

David

Dear Ada,

I am just catching up on the news on this board and am so sorry that the Iressa didn't work for you either. As Bill said when we received the disappointing news on Iressa not working for him: "Here we go again............"

You do have a wonderful outlook on things that is so inspirational. You continue to encourage others with your comments that Iressa DOES work for many people.

It is good to know that after all you have been through that you have 3 clinical trial options. Bill and I have learned that you aren't offered clinical trials if you aren't considered a good candidate for success.

Thank goodness your surgery went well. Please take care of yourself.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Dear Ada,

I'm happy that your surgery is over, and that you can now relax (when you find a comfortable position).

Don't you just love it when someone (like a Resident) who has never experienced anything medically significant themself tries to tell you how minimal your procedure is?

Take care of yourself, rest, recover, and come back to us. When I was in the hospital last month I remembered you and your positive attitude. It helped....still does. Sounds like an inspiration to me.

Fay A.

Dear Ada,

I'm sorry to hear about your having to have surgery, but am glad that it is at least over with. I'll be praying that you recuperate quickly.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Hawaii. It's so great that you and your husband were able to share an experience like that. Maybe you'll be able to stay even longer on your next trip there.

Please take good care of yourself.

Ada, my friend and hope giver. I can't tell you how relieved I am that your doing well wnough to write us. I have been talking to mom allot about you and telling her of your amazing attitude, strength and fighting spirit. I show her your posts and beg her to get that same fight in her. She had a really good day Friday. She actually used the words "I fealt so good" but by saturday she wasn't feeling good again and were back to leg pain and back pain. I am praying for you still and know when you get into remission again. my mom will follow you right into it.

Hi Ada

I'm so glad surgery is behind you. I also would like to add whenever I see your picture it makes me want to take off to the beautiful islands, and leave all my worries here, sooner or later we will make it there, maybe for our 30th. Take care Ada.

Boy, when I read all these posts I can sure feel the love for Ada. I just want to jump in there and add mine.

Ada, you have always been there for me with a comforting and supportive word. I am grateful for you, and am inspired by you. You receive so much love because you give so much love. Thank you.

I am truly sorry the Iressa didn't work, but I have faith that one of these trials will be the one to knock those last couple of pesky mets right out of you. I'm praying for a speedy recovery from that surgery and for God to lead you to the right trial.

Carleen

Ada,

Your attitude continually impresses me. And here you are posting already after your surgery! Wow! Please take extra special care of yourself...you mean so very much to all of us. And let's COUNT on you and your husband getting back to Hawaii! Thinking of you lots and praying, too.

Guest pepperpike

Dear Ada,

You are such an inspiration to so many of us. God Bless you and your incredible positive attitude and strength. I pray for your continued strength and a healthy recovery. Thank you for being you, for posting so positively and fighting such an incredible fight. You are a positive roll-model for many of us.

Dear Friends,

I was so proud of your kind words, that I asked my husband to read all of your posts. I thought he would like to see what others were saying to me. When I looked over at him, as he was reading, I found him crying.

As many of you know, Jim was diagnosed with Melanoma of the Eye last month. We have a lot on our plates right now and just feel kind of vulnerable today.

We love and support eachother every day and have the love and support of our family. That's all that counts in times like these. His condition is being watched and he is feeling very well. As soon as I get on the clinical trial and have a plan of action, I'll feel emotionally better.

Thank you friends for your kindness and your thoughtfulness. They mean so much to me.

Ada

Ada,

Just sign me up for the better late than never club...did not see your post until now!

Even though I'm fairly new, I have noticed what an inspiration and strong presence you are. You always have kind words and encouragement to add, I know that you have in my case and have been grateful for everything you have shared with me. You are a powerful role model, exuding confidence and faith that all things are manageable which is a blessing, especially for someone new on the board.

I am glad that your surgery is over and the pain is tolerable...I wish you and your husband sunnier skies ahead.

Debi

Sorry to be late (post #43!), but I am glad that your surgery went well. I want to join the club as well, and let you know that you serve as a great inspiration to me as well... I can't wait to find out which clinical trial you will be put on. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for more success. As far as the Iressa goes, it worked for my dad for a few months, but then stopped working...but like you said, that dosn't mean it won't work for other people. To quote my dads oncologist, "I think that it is well worth giving it (Iressa) a try. It gives your body a much needed rest for chemo, and when this stuff works, IT WORKS!" So anyone out there using Iressa, remember, it DID work for my dad for a while-it shrunk 2 tumors on the lungs, and there was no progression of the disease. So DON'T GIVE UP HOPE, there are people out there that SWEAR by the stuff. I was amazed by how it worked for my dad, and would tell others to give it a try.

I am glad that your husband is feeling well. My parents are also both being treated for cancer, they actually have been scheduling appts. at the same time, although we didn't get the discounted rate from the onc. LOL, I think that the fact that Dad went through chemo, and was able to sort of prepare my mom for what to expect, was actually helpful.

Take care of yourselves, I'll add an extra prayer for you guys to be able to return to Hawaii really soon-it sounds like paradise! Deb

Dear Ada----I am late also # 44

however I want to reiterate all that was said above----

you have been a great support for everyone here-----so sorry the Iressa did not work---so now on to the next thing

regards Eileen

Let me also say how much I have appreciated your posts and e-mails regarding dealing with the Iressa (you call that a rash?!) rash. I am sorry to hear it has not helped but will be very anxious to see where you go from here. As you said, as soon as you have a battle plan you'll feel better.