My Sweet Dad Passed Away September 19th

DianeR

My sweet dad passed away at home the evening of Sept. 19, 2004. He fought the beast to the bitter end but was unable to beat it. My mom, both of my sisters, my husband and me were all with him at the end. He definitely knew he was loved so very much.

We had a beautiful "Celebration of Life" for my dad. I stayed busy working on the service trying to make it perfect. There was lots of pictures, my kids wrote beautiful eulogies that were framed and displayed and my dad's golf clubs, golf shoes and golf hat were displayed. He loved to play golf! I was very pleased with the memorial service and I think he would have liked it very much. Many family and friends attended and got up and spoke so kindly of this man. Everyone loved my dad. If you met him you couldn't help but love him. He was this tall handsome man with a wonderful southern accent (my kids loved his accent). He was a kind, gentle, generous man with the GREATEST sense of humor!

Now it has been almost 2 months since he passed away and I have such a void in my life. Nothing seems the same now. It is a strange feeling and I don't like it. I miss him so much and have a very hard time thinking about the holidays without him. He loved Thanksgiving and Christmas. My parents only lived an hour away but would always come and stay with us about 4 days around Thanksgiving and a week at Christmas. He loved being around all the family. He was such a family guy. He would always bring the turkey and all kinds of goodies for Thanksgiving. He would start talking about that turkey first thing in the morning and couldn't wait to eat Thanksgiving dinner. He was so much fun to be around. Christmas was better yet. As my kids became teenagers and stopped waking up for Santa before the crack of dawn, we all thought we would finally be able to sleep in later on Christmas! WRONG...Dad would get up and start waking the kids and everyone up telling them Santa has been there and it was time to get up and open their presents. He was always the biggest kid and we all loved it! I know my kids will struggle with the holidays without their "Pop". This will be the first Christmas in my life (48 yrs.) not spent with him. He will surely be missed by all, but I know I will wake up at the crack of dawn on Christmas remembering and missing my sweet dad!

DianeR

Diane, I am so sorry to read of your father's passing. It is so very hard to deal with this during the holidays. I lost my husband 10 days before Christmas and I doubt Christmas will ever bring the same feeling that it used to. Please know that I am praying for you and your family. So very sorry!

hi diane,

i'm so sorry to hear about your dad. i know that the holidays are tough...i'm not exactly looking forwarding to thanksgiving and christmas either, but i have so much to take care of that it's been a blessing (and a curse in some ways!) that i haven't really thought about it all. i used to be the one that had my christmas shopping done by mid november, but this year, i'm just trying to "get by" as best as i can. i think that your dad and my mom would've wanted us to have a great holiday anyway, despite their not being there physically. i think that the holidays exemplify and personify the human spirit (regardless if you are religious or not), and indeed, we should celebrate the fact that we had these wonderful parents that loved us and cared for us far more than we could've ever imagined. my mom wasn't really into making the holidays this big hooplah, but she always wanted to make it special in some small way, whether it be via a special card she had written or a special meal she had prepared (my mom always made sure everyone got fed! :)). anyway, my prayers are with you and your family during this time. i'm sure that your dad is with you in spirit, celebrating the holiday season right beside you and the rest of the familiy.

God bless,

mj