Worried/Questions

Amanda78

Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards. I'm Amanda, 26, married and from Pennsylvania.

My mom has been a chain smoker since her teen years (she's in her upper 50's now). Today she had a procedure done where they made an incision in her throat into her lymph nodes and stuck a tube down to look into her lungs. (Sorry, I don't know what it's called).

Anyway, they found that she has small cell lung cancer. The good news is, the cancer cell is so tiny that surgery was not needed (if that's what you would call good news). I believe they are going to start her on chemotherpy shorty.

My question is for those of you who have been through this or know others who have. How effective is chemo on a lung cancer cell so small that surgery hasn't been needed? What are the chances of the chemo killing a cancerous cell that small? I'm not sure if she's going to have radiation or not.

My grandfather died from lung cancer last February. However by the time they found the cancer, it had already spread a great deal and he died shortly thereafter.

With my mom, I pray there's hope. I am also 7 months pregnant and there's nothing I want more than for my mom to be able to know her grand-daughter.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Hi Amanda,

I am very sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I can tell you that we have many people here with small cell lung cancer that are dong well. There is a small cell forum (SCLC) where you can ask questions also. There is much information on here. Do you have any idea which chemo she will be getting?

Wish you both the best.

Rochelle

Dear Amanda,

Of course, nothing about cancer is good, but the word "tiny" to most of us here is VERY GOOD! My husband has NSCLC, but my understanding is that SCLC is more receptive to chemo and the chances of knocking that tiny place to hell are excellent. SCLC, however, is also more aggressive and grows more rapidly, so she will need to get started on her treatments as soon as possible. She will get to meet our friend NED (No Evidence of Disease) before you know it.

I know that my words will sound really foreign to you since you are just getting started in this with your mom, and I also know how worried you must be, but you must believe us that the fact that the cancer is so small and caught early is really good news!

Please stay with us and keep us posted. We are here to help you through your fears, the scary nights, the long days, and believe it or not, I promise you, we will make you laugh!

God bless you,

Peggy

Amanda, I'm sorry that you have to be here, but I think you'll find some really useful information and lots of support from this group. I do have one suggestion for you. Do an internet search on small cell lung cancer and learn as much as you can about it and also become familiar with "cancer" jargon.

Best wishes for you and your mother.

Muriel K

Amanda...

Hi and welcome. I have small cell too, and it was caught early. I have finished chemo and radiation to the chest/lung and my scan in October showed no sign of any cancer left! 8)

You and your mom need to stay positive about her diagnosis as there are people here who are several years out from their diagnosis and doing just fine. Scary as the sound of "lung cancer" can be....early detection is always a good thing.

Small cell is very responsive to chemo and radiation, so it is usually treated that way rather than by doing surgery. Surgery is more often part of the treatment with non small cell lung cancers.

It is a good idea to educate yourself by doing some research...but PLEASE don't get discouraged by some of the statistics you're apt to find on the internet or elsewhere. They are pretty dismal and depressing and sort of outdated. But you should arm yourself with a good list of questions to ask your mom's doctors...because knowledge is power! :)

And...I'd say your mom has one very special incentive for regaining her health....in that little granddaughter who's on the way! Best wishes to you for an easy labor and delivery!!

The procedure your mom had today was a biopsy OR it might have been called a mediastinoscopy which means they biopsied the lymph nodes in the center of the chest...the mediastinum.

Please come back whenever you wish or have questions...and try not to get too stressed, okay? It's not good for the bambino, you know! :wink: There is tons of good info here and lots of support....but just know that if you have to get a diagnosis of lung cancer, catching it when it's very small is always a good thing!

Dear Amanda,

Just to give you hope - I am a 2 1/2 year limited small cell survivor. I had concurrent chemo (carboplatin and etoposide) and radiation over a 2 month period April - June 2002. All scans since have been good with NED (no evidence of disease). I am 51 years old. Your Mom is young and the fact they caught it early is a very positive thing. They need to be aggressive and start her treatment as soon as possible. Please come here whenever you need info or just reassurance.

Joanie

Amanda,

I'm so sorry you have to be here.

From things I've read, the best thing for any cancer, is to get it out...so I would ask about radiostatic surgery. It's a surgery done with a laser and they use it on small tumors. I know that with SCLC it's not the protocol to do surgery, but maybe this new type of laser surgery might be an option. I may be wrong...but don't feel shy to ask doctors questions and question things that they may suggest.

Hi Amanda,

I'm Val and I've also just found out that my mom has lung cancer, though it sounds as if my mom's is quite a bit more advanced than yours.

I sure don't have any answers for you, as I am still in the 'new and full of questions' phase myself, but I wanted to reply because I'm 6 months pregnant myself. That sure does wreak havocs with the emotions and the 'what-ifs' doesn't it? I'm praying that my mom will know her grand-daughter as well, and that she will have lots of time to spend with her. If you ever want to chat with someone in a similar stage of the game, PM me. :)

Val

Amanda,

my husband has SCLC. SCLC is almost never operable. Mostly because it grows so fast, I've been told it's like chasing ping pong balls around inside your body. so that is why they aren't operating, not because it is too tiny, I would be certain of that. BUT, SCLC responds very well to chemo and radiation, so that is the good news. Dave and I have talked about this, in fact, and it seems that SCLC caught early - and small - and still inside the lung - has a good chance of being beaten.

Muriel is right - do your research - get to know the jargon - you will understand what's going on alot better and be better equipped to help your Mom make decisions. and knowledge if power. the more you know about it, the more in control you'll feel and the more in control, the better you'll feel.

and please keep us posted. It's very exciting that you're pregnant - that's wonderful and will give your mom plenty to fight for.

God Bless,

Karen C.