Transport to/ from Treatments

WhenStars

On Monday (11/22), my dad will begin daily (5x/week) radiation with weekly chemo. He is unable to drive right now (still has a little pain and so is on meds which make him dizzy), and my mom is the head of a school and will be unable to take off every day. We are trying to find a service that can drive him to and from his daily radiation. Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding the names of local services.

Does anyone have any suggestions for locating medical transport services? We are not concerned about paying for the service and my parents live in NJ.

Thanks so much,

Kate

Kate,

I'm not sure what type of community your parents live in, if there even is public transportation. I live in a small town, calling a cab or taking the bus is out...

As John suggested, try the American Cancer Society in your parents' area. If they don't offer a service for rides, they may just have information on where you can find some help. The city I work in has a Council on Aging that gives rides to Senior Citizens - driven by volunteers to doctors' appointments, hair salons, etc. Maybe they have a neighbor or your father has a friend that could drive him, or his friends could switch off and he'd have the positive of seeing his friend and have a positive view of his treatment - due to treatment, he gets time with a friend.

Good luck!

Becky

Like John said, when he was in radiation every day when we went the American Cancer Society van was there bringing patients. They have volunteers that transport patients and and then sit in the waiting rooms gabbing until their people are done. I think they had them scheduled close to each other so they could come together and then leave together. They actually seemed to have a good time coming in a little group.

If your ACS doesn't transport, I am sure they know who does.

Kate,

In addition to calling American Cancer Society, call the hospital your dad is getting treatment at and ask if they know of a transport service for hire.

Is your dad being treated at Sloan Kettering by any chance? I believe from years and years back when my aunt was being treated, they had a list of businesses that help with the transporting. You can also call them and ask for caregiver agencies and call those angencies to see if you can hire someone.

Good luck!

Also try churches in your area, and even Meals on Wheels. In the little town where I grew up and where my mother still lives, they have a very active Meals on Wheels program. They have to go "to town" (into the big city!!!) every day to get the food, so they worked out a schedule where they take elderly people for doctors appointments, treatments, etc., when they go, and later in the day when they go back, pick them up and bring them home!

They seem to have a good time, and usually stop for lunch on the way home, making it a fun day out. They have to schedule a few days in advance though, because they won't do this for just 1 person.

They have transportation here in the city for things like that -- special vans and small buses, so you might try your own City Hall.

Other than that and what everyone else has said, I don't know what else to suggest.

Di

I checked with American Cancer Society after I finished my treatments concerning other things they offer. They told me that they did pay for transportation to Radiation but not chemo. I had already finished my treatments and therefore was not eligable re-imbursment. Wish I knew it tho cause I traveled 63 miles round trip per day for 30 days. Hope this helps. :)

The American Cancer Society does have a program for transportation, so I'd encourage you to call them. In my hometown, the program is called "Road to Recovery" (and might be called that everywhere), and that's one of the programs that was being funded by this year's Relay for Life. Evidently, each local unit decides which programs to fund for their area.

Wish I lived closer and I'd drive him myself!

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

Today, we are finally getting the schedule for my father's radiation treatments, and we can start making calls. I called the American Cancer Society (thanks for the recommendation!!) and they told me that they would be able to help as soon as we have the exact appointment times.

Unfortunately (although often fortunately), my parents live off in the woods a bit. It is a great location for our two Golden Retrievers, but not near any kind of public transport or taxi area. My dad is getting treated about 35 minutes away.

I am going to consolidate all of your responses and send them to my mom so we can start setting up the transport.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Best,

Kate